Sign in to follow this  
kaosfere

EA Release: Working Title G3X Touch Mod

This is a little something else I've been working on that a number of folks already know about, especially if they're on our Discord server, but I hadn't made an official announcement here yet.  As long as I'm announcing things, I wanted to share this one, too. 🙂

Not satisfied with just the G1000 and G3000, we've turned our eyes to the remaining Garmin systems as well.  The G3X, G3X Touch, and Aera are all somewhat similar and share chunks of code, so rather than create a bunch of mods for each we've decided to bundle these.   This is going to be an extended project, but I've already made significant changes to the G3X and wanted people to be able to use those, so I've started issuing development previews, or early access releases if you prefer, of the work I'm doing on this mod.

Here is what is currently present in the WT G3X Touch:

• Map menu page with numerous new features:
    • North up, track up, and DTK up options
    • NEXRAD and topo overlays
    • Multiple zoom options including auto-zoom on touchscreen
  • Completely new autopilot control system via touchscreen
  • Completely new menu system supporting independent per-page menus
  • Redesigned PFD with wind data information and CAS system
  • Graphical overhaul: more authentic, less ugly blue gradient
  • Optional simulation of GAP-26 regulated pitot heater

And not yet implemented but on the near-term to-do list are items including:

• A Main Menu with access to all key system functions
  • A system set up menu with various settings, including screen brightness
  • Range rings and compass arc on the MFD map
  • An more comprehensive data bar at the top of the screen
  • Full-featured radio control either via the data bar or a dedicated menu page
  • Flight plan import from SimBrief
  • Automated update checks and notifications

Those will be coming soon, but I'm currently at a little pause in development while I work on restructuring some of the underlying code for easier expansion.  Once I get that done more features will be flowing.

Finally, please note that this is an early access release:  it may have a few rough edges and it's not feature complete enough to be a "final" release, but it's been fully tested alongside other Working Title mods and a fair number of folks have already been using it for a while and enjoying it for what's already in it.

Enough babbling.  Here's the download:

https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages/releases/download/gx-v0.1.0-dev3/workingtitle-gx-v0.1.0-dev3.zip

Some of the functions of the Touch have been brought more in line with how they work in the real unit, but not all the functionality is immediately obvious.   I have a few usage notes, but this post is already long enough and I don't want to make it even longer;  if you want to check this out, take a moment to read the readme for a few more things you need to know.

As always, let us know what you think here, on github, or on Discord.

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

@kaosfere Rob and WT... thank-you... great news about Dev3... enjoyed Dev2.

Hoping Asobo fixes their CTD issue, I can’t boot the sim atm. Will install ASAP.

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

@kaosfere Thanks for the work! Would it be possible to put the engine info on the PFD for the Virus (as is done in the one screen on the cub)?

Very cool. Great news! Just had a panel makeover with G3X touch installed in my Vans RV9A this summer. From left to right G3X, Aera 660, iPad with ForeFlight

G3X Touch

• Like 6

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

Jealous of the RV.  I doubt I'll ever get my PPL in real life, but if I did Vans is high on my list of aircraft to get to fly.

I've done some flying recently in the Bush League Legends 215 hp X-Cub mod and the VL-3 Rotex 915 mod with this G3X and it's great as usual.  The VL-3 with the 915 especially is a little rocket ship of a plane, and the folks working on it are learning a lot about improving the flight handling. 

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

28 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

The VL-3 with the 915 especially is a little rocket ship of a plane, and the folks working on it are learning a lot about improving the flight handling. 

I'm part of that group...  I had the initial idea because I so badly wanted a Lancair Legacy in this sim... steam gauges with an RXP GNS or GTN if it ever comes out would make me just set for life haha.  The little VL3 definitely isn't perfect...there's some major flight modelling bugs that frankly I'm not sure if they can be solved....but we tried!  Then with the awesome avionics mods from kaos....and especially the integrated autopilot within the G3X makes for a zippy little capable aircraft.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm part of that group

Maybe you can share a link to this VL3 mod. This is something I haven't seen anywhere else.

Nick Bebyakin   / Handmade cameraset - Ezdok v2  and Ezdok v3
EZdok Software. Support remains on the     http://www.ezdok-camera.com/

i5-9500F@4.4GHz / 20Gb / RTX 2060-OC-6Gb / Win10x64 / MSFS2020

@kaosfere Thank you very much! I was using this mod since the dev-1 release together with the Bush League Legends XCub Performance+ Mod and I love both of them!

I already found a few of those "secret click spots", but to know it all I wanted to read the readme you are pointing out in your original post. But that link gives me a 404, unfortunately. Is it the same readme that is included in the Mod or is there more information I should know?

11 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

Would it be possible to put the engine info on the PFD for the Virus

At the moment, no, but eventually yes.  The real one (going by the manual) has options to put the engine info on the PFD and to switch which side of the screen its on.  Supporting that flexibility is one of the reasons I've started a heavier rework of the code.

11 hours ago, Doering said:

Just had a panel makeover with G3X touch installed in my Vans RV9A this summer.

Nice!   I may end up bugging you for info at some point.  😄

9 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm part of that group

Hi, Ryan!  Didn't realize you were on that server.

6 hours ago, Nickbe said:

Maybe you can share a link to this VL3 mod.

https://github.com/r9r-dev/fs2020-vl3-rotax915/

They're the ones who first asked for the autopilot controls to be integrated. 🙂

2 hours ago, buedi said:

But that link gives me a 404, unfortunately. Is it the same readme that is included in the Mod or is there more information I should know?

Oops.  Looks like the link I gave was to a branch that then got deleted.   It is the same as in the package, so if you've read that you have everything.

But if anyone else is looking for it, the permanent link is here:   https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages/blob/main/docs/workingtitle-gx/README.md

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2020 at 12:39 AM, marsman2020 said:

Jealous of the RV.  I doubt I'll ever get my PPL in real life, but if I did Vans is high on my list of aircraft to get to fly.

I've done some flying recently in the Bush League Legends 215 hp X-Cub mod and the VL-3 Rotex 915 mod with this G3X and it's great as usual.  The VL-3 with the 915 especially is a little rocket ship of a plane, and the folks working on it are learning a lot about improving the flight handling. 

Hi,

Never say never about the PPL. Things may change. I was saying the same thing as you for a good chunk of my life, then the opportunity appeared in my late fifties. Went at it hard for 6.5 months and passed the works. Yes, my RV has been great. Highly recommended! Sips gas between 7.5-8.0 gph and cruises at 140 knots.

• Like 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

In the real world I'm flying Tecnam P2008JC MkII with G3X Touch 10". The #1 feature of this unit is the option allowing replacing the "tapes" instruments with round gauges - classic 6-pack. For VFR flying I consider the round gauges much better, as you can read them with just a glimpse of an eye, validating the position of the instrument hands, without the need to read the numbers. Some colleagues, flying the "tapes" tend to chase the precise numbers, ending with "pilot induced oscillations". 

It's probably very demanding to introduce rounds gauges to G3X Touch in the sim, but please consider this in the future. 

Edited by Steku

@kaosfere

Rob- I just flew v3 for the first time and loved it. It gets better and better and more authentic with each iteration...

I remain obliged to you and your team!

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Apologies for being dumb but what aircraft is this compatible with?

Thomas Derbyshire

Thomas-

I love it in the Bush League Legends XCub mod...it can be used in others also.

C

• Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper