Sign in to follow this  
johnbla

Clamp size

15 hours ago, johnbla said:

Thanks ark. I currently have my CH yoke attached to a piece of ply with a weight at the back. No room I'm afraid for arms as shelves get in the way. I would like to take a photo but it appears you cannot attach jpeg's in this forum.

Chris, just over 2KG. 

Hello johnbla, I was wondering if a double sided gel tape could be of help?  It is lightweight, washable, reusable, dimensions are small, cut it into strips and cover entire yoke, top or bottom with this adhesive and can easily remove gel tape without marking up the yoke.  I've seen where you can hang item weighing 1 Kg.  Not sure what push/pull exertion it can handle  If it doesn't work, not that expensive and you can find other uses around the house so product will not go to waste. But, possibly, no clamp needed or extra boards or plywood or braces, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Sided-Heavy-Duty-Nano-Washable-Transparent-Non-Marking/dp/B07ZCP5CK5

71gD2N0YnbL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

5 hours ago, Jett Piedmont said:

Hello johnbla, I was wondering if a double sided gel tape could be of help?  It is lightweight, washable, reusable, dimensions are small, cut it into strips and cover entire yoke, top or bottom with this adhesive and can easily remove gel tape without marking up the yoke.  I've seen where you can hang item weighing 1 Kg.  Not sure what push/pull exertion it can handle  If it doesn't work, not that expensive and you can find other uses around the house so product will not go to waste. But, possibly, no clamp needed or extra boards or plywood or braces, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Sided-Heavy-Duty-Nano-Washable-Transparent-Non-Marking/dp/B07ZCP5CK5

Thanks Jett, I will look into that. I wonder how those non slip mats would work. I have plenty of them and they are cheap. Maybe a combination of a non slip mat and a dead weight at the end would work? Ungainly maybe but it appears that I don't have much of an option.

Edited by johnbla

2 hours ago, johnbla said:

Thanks Jett, I will look into that. I wonder how those non slip mats would work. I have plenty of them and they are cheap. Maybe a combination of a non slip mat and a dead weight at the end would work? Ungainly maybe but it appears that I don't have much of an option.

really big magnets ?

Can you attach the unit to a board that extends all the way to the back of the desk and clamps at the back ?

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

1 hour ago, johnbla said:

I thought about that but the monitor stand would get in the way. Thanks anyway.

Maybe set the monitor stand on top of the plywood, or maybe make cutouts in the plywood for the monitor stand feet.

Al

Edited by ark

12 hours ago, johnbla said:

Johnbla, came across this.  It's kind of in line with a non slip mat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SPTMZGB/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07SPTMZGB&pd_rd_w=pHLxZ&pf_rd_p=f0355a48-7e73-489a-9590-564e12837b93&pd_rd_wg=Fdegf&pf_rd_r=3NVFS3APW29B4NRWK9M0&pd_rd_r=31e51432-cd3a-4df9-8da0-9c504071ee1e&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRldWR0FZRU82T1VPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzA3MzA0SzZMTEhLVEhNTFcxJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNTQyNDAzVTMxRFU2OUQyNEg5JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

714aylUkuJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Many thanks for your help Jett. I will look at that.

Not sure but I sort of remember reading somewhere that the yoke has 4 grippy feet. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

The yoke has 4 grippy feet which are surprisingly grippy on a flat surface although it has never been tested without the clamp as it is unsafe to do so. I will try and get some force measurements in the next day or so for pitch, roll and also how much it takes to keep the yoke down if you apply downward pressure on the yoke, especially at full extension. I suspect the weight required will be significant, it is a long lever remember!

Used a scale and to pull the yoke all the way out requires 11lbs or 5.5Kg. You can see that to secure this you would need a significant weight on it. This would also depend on the surface. I tested it on a workbench that has a surface similar to a kitchen counter and to stop it from moving i needed to put at least 12lbs and more like 15;bs on it. The box will easy hold it as it is steel, I mean, I can stand on the word not allowed thing but I still would not recommend using it like that.

5 hours ago, tutmeister said:

I mean, I can stand on the word not allowed thing but I still would not recommend using it like that.

Surely that would be next to impossible - you'd have to bend double and look between your legs to see the monitor! Not to mention trying to work out which way to move the yoke!😄

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

5 hours ago, tutmeister said:

Used a scale and to pull the yoke all the way out requires 11lbs or 5.5Kg. You can see that to secure this you would need a significant weight on it. This would also depend on the surface. I tested it on a workbench that has a surface similar to a kitchen counter and to stop it from moving i needed to put at least 12lbs and more like 15;bs on it. The box will easy hold it as it is steel, I mean, I can stand on the word not allowed thing but I still would not recommend using it like that.

Thanks for the info Chris.

1 hour ago, 109Sqn said:

Surely that would be next to impossible - you'd have to bend double and look between your legs to see the monitor! Not to mention trying to work out which way to move the yoke!😄

Well that is one of the reasons I don’t recommend it.

• Like 1