Sign in to follow this  
fantratic

P3Dv5 FPS Drops

18 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Maybe ask at the PMDG forum, since it seems to mostly affect your PMDG aircraft perhaps it is something they know of?

Its PMDG and Qualitywings, Aerosoft does it as well now, I just tried to fly a Hawaiian A333 PHNL-KSAN and the FPS drops were 20-25

I don't think it is a problem with your VM since you were OK with P3D v4.

I would check this by a fresh install of P3D this way:

I would uninstall the client from Control Panel Programs, then uninstall P3D which clears the entire sim. My addons and changes are preserved.

I would rename all Prepar3D folders so nothing add-on is picked up with a new install but my original folders remain so that I can resume add-ons later.

After installing P3D fresh and starting it up, I would close it down and add the AffinityMask=125 to the cfg.

I would add 'Modify Allow'  permission to the Users group on the 'C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin' folder.

Then I would only install the PMDG.

Then I would test the PMDG in a sparse scenery area and compare that to a more intense area.

if the scenery location makes no difference I might be observing a problem with P3D v5 and relate the problem on the LM forum.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

5 minutes ago, SteveW said:

I don't think it is a problem with your VM since you were OK with P3D v4.

I would check this by a fresh install of P3D this way:

I would uninstall the client from Control Panel Programs, then uninstall P3D which clears the entire sim. My addons and changes are preserved.

I would rename all Prepar3D folders so nothing add-on is picked up with a new install but my original folders remain so that I can resume add-ons later.

After installing P3D fresh and starting it up, I would close it down and add the AffinityMask=125 to the cfg.

I would add 'Modify Allow'  permission to the Users group on the 'C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin' folder.

Then I would only install the PMDG.

Then I would test the PMDG in a sparse scenery area and compare that to a more intense area.

if the scenery location makes no difference I might be observing a problem with P3D v5 and relate the problem on the LM forum.

Funny story, I reinstalled last time you told me to put AffinityMask in, and i deleted all the folders and uninstalled everything that dealt with p3d and all the planes, I reinstalled each one one by one and PMDG had the same issue, Aerosoft had the same issue, Qualitywings had the same issue. I talked to Lockheed Martin's forum's already here and nothing they've said worked, so I came here a few weeks later.  I'm starting to think it is a problem with V5. Though, when I had V5 in the beginning, none of these issues occurred, so I'm genuinely confused at this point on why FPS is dropping. In P3Dv4, I've had 18-22 FPS in every plane, and when I switched to V5, I had 30-35+, and since the 8th they've been dropping. Now I'm at 20-30 FPS in V5. P3Dv5 is slowly drifting back to v4 for me atleast.

You mentioned the 8th October seemed to be a critical point in time. Since you are running on a VM, I wonder if anything else has been changed on the host around the 8th?

1 minute ago, SteveW said:

You mentioned the 8th October seemed to be a critical point in time. Since you are running on a VM, I wonder if anything else has been changed on the host around the 8th?

Not that I know of, they'd either announce it in their discord server or send an email out, I haven't gotten anything. I looked back at the dates as well

Very frustrating. I imagine if I had hands-on to that machine I would only come to the same conclusions as you have found.

I had two occasions so far, where I could remove stutters successfully in P3D5.1. 

First was the very old landclass of Japan, which I added and then got stutter. Took it away, everything was fine again. Reason for the stutters unknown. 

Second was a missing effects definition for Tongass Fjords in the add-on.xml. Adding the proper path cured the stutters again. I found this coincidentially in a forum, where Holger Sandman brought this up. He's a very geniuos man.

So the question is, what did you add or change at the day the problems begun?

If you can remember, check this scenery, if everything is allright. Then check all others.

I tried with Processexplorer to find files not found but it is extremely difficult to find the place, where stutters begun. Prepar3D.exe is searching a lot of things after encountering a problem. So you see a lot of not found messages from files, not existing but also not missing. 

We need definitely a tool, saying what is missing.

Regards

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

36 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Very frustrating. I imagine if I had hands-on to that machine I would only come to the same conclusions as you have found.

Agreed, very. 20 FPS is.. eh.. it's not as smooth and hard to get used to coming from someone with 30+ fps.

18 minutes ago, blaunarwal said:

I had two occasions so far, where I could remove stutters successfully in P3D5.1. 

First was the very old landclass of Japan, which I added and then got stutter. Took it away, everything was fine again. Reason for the stutters unknown. 

Second was a missing effects definition for Tongass Fjords in the add-on.xml. Adding the proper path cured the stutters again. I found this coincidentially in a forum, where Holger Sandman brought this up. He's a very geniuos man.

So the question is, what did you add or change at the day the problems begun?

If you can remember, check this scenery, if everything is allright. Then check all others.

I tried with Processexplorer to find files not found but it is extremely difficult to find the place, where stutters begun. Prepar3D.exe is searching a lot of things after encountering a problem. So you see a lot of not found messages from files, not existing but also not missing. 

We need definitely a tool, saying what is missing.

Regards

Dan

I have content error enabled and I have nothing missing according to P3D.

It is always best to test the simulator in stock form, then compare results after installing add-ons.

31 minutes ago, SteveW said:

It is always best to test the simulator in stock form, then compare results after installing add-ons.

Done that as well, along with the reset I tested default aircraft,they were fine, 70+ fps/

1 hour ago, fantratic said:

If there's a possible way to get P3D to use the entire CPU, I'll do that.

The cores allocated to the Virtual Machine are all you can use. So if your VM is allocated four cores, then that's all you can use. Perhaps you can get the VM to be allocated 8 cores or more. Perhaps you had more cores in your VM before October 8th.

Since you can see 8 cores virtualized in Task Manager with your current 4 cores, that means the underlying CPU is in HT mode which emulates 8 cores from your 4. The CPU emulates 24 cores from 12 cores, which is the same as saying there are 24 logical processors from 12 physical cores.

Let me know what you can find out and if you can get more cores we can try another Affinity Mask to ensure your sim uses the virtual cores in the best possible way.

Edited by SteveW

4 hours ago, fantratic said:

Agreed, very. 20 FPS is.. eh.. it's not as smooth and hard to get used to coming from someone with 30+ fps.

I have content error enabled and I have nothing missing according to P3D.

I have never seen, content error logging any missing files, but wrong files, double entries mostly in fx or cfg. So i´m not really sure, if this is a garantee for you.

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

On 11/19/2020 at 8:44 AM, SteveW said:

The cores allocated to the Virtual Machine are all you can use. So if your VM is allocated four cores, then that's all you can use. Perhaps you can get the VM to be allocated 8 cores or more. Perhaps you had more cores in your VM before October 8th.

Since you can see 8 cores virtualized in Task Manager with your current 4 cores, that means the underlying CPU is in HT mode which emulates 8 cores from your 4. The CPU emulates 24 cores from 12 cores, which is the same as saying there are 24 logical processors from 12 physical cores.

Let me know what you can find out and if you can get more cores we can try another Affinity Mask to ensure your sim uses the virtual cores in the best possible way.

Couldn't find a good affinitymask, all of them are... sorta the same. some drop fps and some are the same fps i've had before.

Try to uninstall only the audio driver whit GURU3D (in safe mode) and reboot. 

Let Windows install the new one.

It´s solves the problem here.