Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Confused about the "new" Motion Blur Setting

In previous versions, the motion blur setting only affects the drone camera I believe. It's only use was for blurring the background when taking photos.

But with the new update #5 that came out, does this setting now take over that? Because I also notice that when I pan really fast inside the cockpit view that I get motion blur as well. Before the motion blur would only show up when using the drone camera to take photos.

So does this motion blur setting still apply to the drone camera? Because I still want the blurred backgrounds when taking pics, but do not want it in the cockpit when panning around.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Motion blur (new addiction) and depth of field (or bokeh effect) [the one you refers to for the drone camera] are two different things.

Motion blur has its own setting, and it does what it says. A blur of the image caused by a quick movement. You can also see it in external view when panning around the plane.

• Like 3

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

But the motion blur setting has been there since the very 1st release of MSFS. So that's causing some confusion for me.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

3 minutes ago, captain420 said:

But the motion blur setting has been there since the very 1st release of MSFS. So that's causing some confusion for me.

?? you are talking about focus.... that is not motion blur. motion blur is not focus. like even the names are different. bruh.

The setting says "Motion Blur" and has been there since day 1. I know what I'm seeing bruh...

Edited by captain420

What’s the point of motion blur? To know what it would be like flying on downers?

11 minutes ago, captain420 said:

The setting says "Motion Blur" and has been there since day 1. I know what I'm seeing bruh...

the way you initially worded it in your OP speaks of the focus mode on camera. but sure, if it was in settings before then it was there. Still like the use of it in normal eye angle use.

12 minutes ago, captain420 said:

It has not. It's been added yesterday. You seem confused.

• Like 5

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

42 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

depth of field (or bokeh effect)

Point of order:  depth of field and bokeh are two (almost) completely different things.

Depth of field refers to the section of an image that is in focus -- in video games it's used to mean a blurring of distant objects to help give a more cinematic look to things.

Bokeh is also focus-related, in that it's an aspect of something being out of focus.   But in particular it's a stylistic term that refers to the way that out-of-focus points of light are rendered in an image.

This is (extreme) bokeh.

Edited by kaosfere

40 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Nope, motion blur was added yesterday.  depth of field was there before.

I have both turned off.  you aren't supposed to use narcotics prior to flying.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

It has not. It's been added yesterday. You seem confused.

I am confused.

Edited by captain420
  • Like 1

It doesn't confuse me, I set it to off as I do first thing in every game.

I paid for an IPS monitor, I don't want the VA effect, thanks.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

I find that even with motion blur disabled, I get some minimal blurring in the cockpit.

To test this, zoom into the trim wheel of the A320 and look at the numerals on the wheel. Then rotate the trim wheel and the numerals will go blurred - only coming back into focus a second or so after the trim wheel has stopped moving. It's a gradual thing - maybe to optimise redraw (and therefore framerates) whilst animations are in progress <??>.

Other than that, I don't get any motion blur (in the VC or outside). Thank goodness for that, as I HATE any form of cheesy pseudo camera effects in a sim. I want to see what the eyes would see, not through the lens of some cheap camera.,

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I wish game developers would stop using nonsense like motion blur and film grain. I don't know a single person who likes those smearing effects.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Motion Blur is a cool effect in racing sims as it increases the feeling of speed, but I do not see any benefit from it in flight sims.

• Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |