Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Confused about the "new" Motion Blur Setting

23 hours ago, mtr75 said:

What’s the point of motion blur? To know what it would be like flying on downers?

It just simulates how you would see it in real life if you quickly moved your head? I think we forget how bad our visual acuity gets when we make rapid head/eye movements as we're just so used to it in real life but games always remain perfectly sharp. When we move our eyes rapidly we in effect go very temporarily blind via the Saccadic Masking effect:

Wikipedia: Saccadic masking, also known as (visual) saccadic suppression, is the phenomenon in visual perception where the brain selectively blocks visual processing during eye movements in such a way that neither the motion of the eye (and subsequent motion blur of the image) nor the gap in visual perception is noticeable to the viewer.

The phenomenon was first described by Erdmann and Dodge in 1898,[1] when it was noticed during unrelated experiments that an observer could never see the motion of their own eyes. This can easily be duplicated by looking into a mirror, and looking from one eye to another. The eyes can never be observed in motion, yet an external observer clearly sees the motion of the eyes. 

12 hours ago, Ixoye said:

Motion Blur is a cool effect in racing sims as it increases the feeling of speed, but I do not see any benefit from it in flight sims.

Not cool in any game or movie, it just looks cheap, you don't have motion blur IRL

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

18 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

Not cool in any game or movie, it just looks cheap, you don't have motion blur IRL

You definitely do, wave your hand in front of your face.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

Like i said, it increases the feeling of speed in games, which I think is a cool effect, especially in racing games when driving in cockpit mode, maybe it works the same when you do aerobatic maneuvers with an Extra 300 and similar aircraft, but I have not had time to test it yet.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

35 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

Move your head left and right fast. Your vision blurs as your brain temporarily blocks some visual processing. In normal vision our gaze leaps from detail to detail, resulting in rapid image motion across the retina. You're just so used to it you don't notice or think it strange. It looks a little weird in game at first as we're not used to seeing the effect when we pan our view in a game. 

• Like 1

Like most of these sorts of effects in games, there is a realistic basis for them, but they are typically all overdone,  which is why I turn them off.  currently I would call this implementation "half-baked" in multiple meanings of the term, lol.

22 hours ago, Tektolnes said:

Move your head left and right fast. Your vision blurs as your brain temporarily blocks some visual processing. In normal vision our gaze leaps from detail to detail, resulting in rapid image motion across the retina. You're just so used to it you don't notice or think it strange. It looks a little weird in game at first as we're not used to seeing the effect when we pan our view in a game. 

That would naturally happen even if fast moving images are on screen, therefore it's useless to have it twice and overdone.
It gives me seasickness like VA panels do with their slow pixel response times.

I drove 300km/h and it's not all blurry like I'm in a spacecraft timewarp or something, things just move very fast and small problems become huge problems.

Edited by EmaRacing

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

On 10/30/2020 at 9:13 PM, Adamski_NZ said:

I find that even with motion blur disabled, I get some minimal blurring in the cockpit.

To test this, zoom into the trim wheel of the A320 and look at the numerals on the wheel. Then rotate the trim wheel and the numerals will go blurred - only coming back into focus a second or so after the trim wheel has stopped moving. It's a gradual thing - maybe to optimise redraw (and therefore framerates) whilst animations are in progress <??>.

Other than that, I don't get any motion blur (in the VC or outside). Thank goodness for that, as I HATE any form of cheesy pseudo camera effects in a sim. I want to see what the eyes would see, not through the lens of some cheap camera.,

That is from TAA

18 hours ago, L3m0n said:

That is from TAA

Wow - thanks for that! I had no idea it did that. I might just keep it off and save some frames.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Like any visual effect, there are good ways to use and deploy motion blur, and there are bad ways.

Camera motion blur, where the whole screen essentially blurs when you move, is outdated and just tanks image quality.  Per-object motion blur is what more modern games use, and only adds motion blur to things on screen that are actually in motion (such as the wheels on a race car, for example).  It enhances the realism of a scene, and is absolutely worth enabling when implemented well.

Well isn't this just strange.  Subjective like many things I suppose.  I have it on ultra and absolutely love it. 

It seems to smooth out my frames when I am panning and when looking sideways out of a window (when the ground can seem to judder past a bit in that view).

Once again, down to different personal preferences and different PC set-ups I suppose.

But what I don't understand about some complaints is that surely more choice is a good thing.  If you don't like it simply turn it off. 🙂

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

On 10/31/2020 at 4:19 PM, EmaRacing said:

Cinema movies and tv have plenty of motion blur. At 24 fps the camera shutter speed can be around 1/50 secs, which is a slow shutter speed for capturing fast action motion. You can see lots of motion blur if you freeze each frame in action scenes in most movies. And that's how fast action looks natural on cinema even if the frame rate is much lower than would be acceptable in computer games, because the motion blur smooths the motion between frames.

Which is also why some people cling to the ludicrous myth that "your eyes can't see faster than 30 fps". In fast action games, where you don't have motion blur like on cinema, you can definitely tell if the you're running at less than 60 fps or more.

Edited by JacquesBrel

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

I have it on ultra and absolutely love it. 

Same here. I'm now locking my frame rate rather than un-capped and the effect is very smooth motion, without judder. Locking to 33fps, which I know is a strange number is giving me, a near perfect, and stutter free output that other frame rates did not - 30fps was slightly messy. Running dev mode shows an almost spike free trace, and the motion blur makes panning look far more natural. Not that I whip my viewpoint around like a loon, but that little persistence helps to fill in the frames giving the illusion of a much higher fps. The other upside of locking lower, with blur enabled is a much more relaxed and cool PC, so I'm very happy with this new option.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

If you don't like it simply turn it off.

Exactly. It's bizzare why some feel the need to complain about something they don't have to use 🤪

Edited by Novation
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Novation said:

Exactly. It's bizzare why some feel the need to complain about something they don't have to use 🤪

True. When there is an 'off' option you can simply ignore if you don't like. 

I wish there was an 'off' option to the lightning in live weather.

Roi Ben