Sign in to follow this  
Montie

Buy on Steam or Windows Store?

Not much difference I think.

Just go for Steam if you already have a lot of Steam games.

But I wouldn't purchase the Deluxe/Premium editions until Asobo stops encrypting the "config" files for those premium/deluxe aircraft, so that modders can actually fix and improve the aircraft, just like they have with the Standard Edition aircraft.

Matthew S

Steam seems to be the one that gives the least problems if you read posts on the forums, I use it myself and it has worked flawless for me.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

23 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Steam seems to be the one that gives the least problems if you read posts on the forums, I use it myself and it has worked flawless for me.

That is because more purchases were made from Microsoft Store.   There is no difference.

• Like 1

I bought from steam, never had any issues with downloads etc.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

If you buy it from steam can you download it right then and there like other games on steam, or does it redirect you to download it through microsoft/xbox app?

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

21 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

If you buy it from steam can you download it right then and there like other games on steam, or does it redirect you to download it through microsoft/xbox app?

You download the exe and important files from steam then launch it finish downloading via Microsoft's servers.

It doesn't force you to use any external apps.

Edited by Tuskin38

good  thing  about  steam  is  it  quite  easy  to install  it  where  you  want  it  to be

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Imo

Steam:
Pros - overlay, launcher, forums (this is almost a con due to IQ levels), platform, potentially workshop support for freeware
Cons - need steam to run in background, 2 accounts (Microsoft and Steam)

Microsoft Store:
Pros - no dependent programs, 1 account (Microsoft), Standard edition included in Xbox Game Pass
Cons - simulator path is difficult to get to (does not affect addons installation, still easy), Microsoft Store can be buggy (It's getting better)

Shouldn't affect your experience. For the record, I have a few games on Microsoft Store and they all work fine. I did buy MFS on Steam though just because I still prefer to keep my library there. Not that I use steam as a launcher these days since my desktop is full of shortcuts anyway.

Edited by suncoastflyer

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

The issue with the MS Store avenue is that the installation is deep in a nested series of folders.  Third party addons go into a "Community" folder that is deep in that nest of folders.  That has caused issues with 3rd party mods that also must conform to folder requirements in order to be effective.  There is a utility that is available that is excellent in overcoming the issue.  it is the "MSFS Adddons Linker".  It allows MFS mods to be placed in folders on your system that you choose, and places shortcuts to those folders in the "Community" folder.  It has worked 100% for me.  And to add to that, there have been discussions about potential performance issues if you have too many mods, liveries, and sceneries in the Community folder.  With the Linker addon it is easy to check, and uncheck those mods. liveries, and sceneries you intend to use on a particular day or flight.  So if those performance issues actually exist, the Linker provides an avenue to manage that.

Other than that I have not heard of another difference between the two sources of installaton.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, pete_auau said:

good  thing  about  steam  is  it  quite  easy  to install  it  where  you  want  it  to be

Equally as easy to install where you want with Microsoft store purchase

Also, easy to get refunds in Steam, at least in Australia, where consumers are protected, in law, from faulty products. 

When updates break the sim (eg CTD's), the product is no longer "fit for purpose", so just ask for and get a refund.

Having said that, I've not even tried to play FS2020 in over a month, so I'm not bothered, I guess Asobo will work things out, eventually.

Matthew S

I went Windows store as I have had an ongoing issue with valve for about 10 years and only use Steam for games where they have a monopoly and I have no other choice.

That said, the steam users seem to get patches a little later but otherwise have less issues than Windows ones.

On 10/31/2020 at 3:22 PM, Tierborn said:

Equally as easy to install where you want with Microsoft store purchase

Just be aware if you install on another drive the Windows Install puts stuff in a weird area called /wpstore. it is no biggie once you work out what it is doing.