Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Hotfix for MSFS later today

4 minutes ago, robert young said:

Beg to differ. They have a larger scale and have more employees. These are not obscure bugs but major gaffs. They indicate that either few, or perhaps nobody is actually running the sim as a user would and checking the most basic functions. If that were the case, they would have spotted things in minutes. Quality control really is not that time consuming. You just run the sim and try all the menus, load all the options and see if they work. It doesn't take that long, honestly it doesn't.

Which bugs exactly? Because not everyone is having the CTDs.

So it's entirely possible the testing team at Asobo didn't either.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, robert young said:

How about the thousands of users, modders, payware and freeware developers who are at this moment hacking their way through multiple files just to make a few addon liveries work? No mention of a "hotfix" for that. CTD issues are of course important, but this latest update is par for the course. It improved a couple of things, but broke more than it fixed. How long is this theme going to continue? Right now, destruction testing of updates and quality control is the most important thing Asobo could achieve.

It is not hard to do. You employ or beg around five people to sit in front of their monitors and load every conceivable scenario, menu, feature, aircraft and scenery, and you do not let them out until they have double, triple, quadruple tested every possibility. And if something doesn't work, YOU DO NOT RELEASE the update until it is fixed. Any self respecting freeware, let alone payware developer will tell you that this is what they do, and if they don't they are on a long march to endless updates/patches/fixes like a dog chasing its tail..

Yes. At what point do we stop giving Asobo a pass on releasing patches with obvious mistakes the community finds within minutes?

This shouldn't be happing time after time again. Making mistakes is fine, but not learning from them is not. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bahnzo said:

Yes. At what point do we stop giving Asobo a pass on releasing patches with obvious mistakes the community finds within minutes?

The community has thousands of different hardware configurations and configs and setups, it's impossible for the devs to check everything.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Tuskin38 said:

The community has thousands of different hardware configurations and configs and setups, it's impossible for the devs to check everything.

Yes, so instead they check nothing it seems.

3 minutes ago, bahnzo said:

Yes, so instead they check nothing it seems.

Un, they do. Yesterday's patch was originally planned to come out Tuesday, but was delayed because they found a bug with the autopilot.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tuskin38 said:

Again, sorry but I disagree. You don't need to test 100 USB controllers to know that a few that don't work are setting a pattern. Within 3 minutes of loading the sim after the patch I could see without trying that the liveries had disappeared and a USB hub/controller caused a crash.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Just now, robert young said:

and a USB hub/controller caused a crash.

Not everyone in the community is getting that crash. So it's entirely possible none of the testers as Asobo got it.

• Like 4

Exactly. I'm done with giving them a pass. They released an unfinished product which instead of finishing, they continue to add issues to. I was willing to allow them the benefit of the doubt, but their patching has removed that for me. They need to get their doody together and start testing these "updates" more thoroughly instead of whatever they seem to have in place at the moment. 

Edited by bahnzo

Just now, bahnzo said:

Exactly. I'm done with giving them a pass. They released an unfinished product which instead of finishing, they continue to add issues to. I was willing to allow them the benefit of the doubt, but their patching has removed that for me. They need to get their word not allowed together and start testing these "updates" more thoroughly instead of whatever they seem to have in place at the moment. 

Go apply to be a QA tester then.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Not everyone in the community is getting that crash. So it's entirely possible none of the testers as Asobo got it.

That points to the bug being related to how some controllers have their axes and buttons assigned. It's not entirely hardware but it's a combination of certain devices and how they are being used in the sim. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, robert young said:

Again, sorry but I disagree. You don't need to test 100 USB controllers to know that a few that don't work are setting a pattern. Within 3 minutes of loading the sim after the patch I could see without trying that the liveries had disappeared and a USB hub/controller caused a crash.

I think so too. Further I think USB does what its name says, it is universal and it is running out of the box. Just plugging in, no driver installation necessary, meaning MSFS or any game will receive a basic command. It`s the third time now they messed something new up. Man, they just cannot cobble things half-way and throw it to the people.

7 minutes ago, BigDee said:

I think so too. Further I think USB does what its name says, it is universal and it is running out of the box. Just plugging in, no driver installation necessary, meaning MSFS or any game will receive a basic command. It`s the third time now they messed something new up. Man, they just cannot cobble things half-way and throw it to the people.

It doesn't happen to everyone though. So it's not a simple problem relating to USB, there's something else going on.

Edited by Tuskin38

4 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Boo! A CTD denier. CTDs are real.

Ron,

I do not really think anyone is denying, or has denied, the CTD problem.  It IS real and it DOES exist for some.  Personally, I do not have this symptom (and that fact is not going to help anybody or convince them that there is no problem) but I feel for those who are not happy with the current system.  It would appear that (updates aside) this sim is plagued by major problems probably caused by a lack of QA in the first instance and probably minor software code errors somewhere in the system.  

All of this is probably and largely undeniable, but, it is also undeniable that a silent majority are very happy with what they have. We can probably isolate the simmers who are into and regularly fly the complex tube airliners like PMDG FSLabs etc. Depending on the SDK updates, these may or may not come, but I feel that for the time being at least, we are losing those simmers in droves. That is a pity.

I think what is missing as far as CTDs are concerned, is that most of the community are aware of, and actually sympathize, with those who cannot enjoy this sim to the fullest.  

Asobo too, are aware as this is being addressed by our first hotfix.

Chin up mate ... we really are with you and not agin you.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.