Sign in to follow this  
rooitou

Is P3Dv5 worth it?

Is there any sense in getting P3Dv5, if you already have P3Dv4 and XP11 and not too happy with MSFS as it is right now?

(Asobo seems to break more than they fix with MSFS updates nowadays, so I've gone from being super-impressed to stopped playing. The file folder structure is absurd and working with configuration files near impossible)

Edited by rooitou

i7-12700KF, RTX 3080 12GB, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, ASUS PG348Q 34" ultra-wide monitor, Track IR 5, HP Reverb G2, Windows 10 64-bit

A lot of people do say that V5.0 is leaps and bounds ahead of 4.5 in terms of fixes and performance.  5.1 seems to have some concerns though.  

I was personally planning on 5.1, I held off 5.0 for 5.1 and stuck with 4.5 but may hold off on the 5.x jump until 5.1 resolves it's issues.  I think most would advise you to go to 5.x for the fixes and performance.  For me, 4.5 works great, all my add-ons work so I'm ok waiting but that's just my .02.  I think most would advise you not to listen to me 🙂  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Haven't used P3Dv4 since I got v5. I would say it's worth it, even though I have high hopes that MSFS steps up and delivers the knock out punch.

v5 HF2 has been working quite good for me (as have MSFS, really) with no really game breaking bugs and really stellar performance (on an AMD 3900x with 32gb ram and 2080Ti and the sim on an NVME).

• Like 2

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I went to v5 and deleted v4 the same week. I’m holding off on 5.1 for now. But the performance gains were large for me. Make sure you have plenty of vram however. If not stay in v4

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

It looks like he has an 11GB GTX 1080Ti, so he should be OK for VRAM.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, rooitou said:

Is there any sense in getting P3Dv5, if you already have P3Dv4 and XP11 and not too happy with MSFS as it is right now? .....

The main selling feature for me moving to P3DV5, they upgraded a lot of the default airports.  I went from FSX directly for V5, so I cannot compared it to V4.x. In my opinion, V5.1 was as step backwards for enhanced atmospherics (EA).  EA still needs work.

Edited by johncott
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

38 minutes ago, johncott said:

The main selling feature for moving to P3DV5, they upgraded a lot of the default airports.

I wouldn't say upgraded, but more of a footprint update. The overall effort and attention to detail put in those default airports is a few steps backwards from previous default versions imo. 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

1 hour ago, skip d said:

I'm using P3dv4.5.

Can I carry the aircraft from 4.5 to 5.0 ??

Thanks

There probably are some shenanigans you can pull to get them to work. As for official installers it differs. though. I would love the Aerosoft DC-8 in v5 but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

3 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

I wouldn't say upgraded, but more of a footprint update. The overall effort and attention to detail put in those default airports is a few steps backwards from previous default versions imo. 

For sure, looks like it’s a work in progress. Still haven’t updated my LittleNavMap data base to 5.1 and notice differences already in 5.1 from 5.0 HF2 at certain airports. LOWW for example where I landed today.

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

4 hours ago, johncott said:

The main selling feature for me moving to P3DV5, they upgraded a lot of the default airports.  I went from FSX directly for V5, so I cannot compared it to V4.x. In my opinion, V5.1 was as step backwards for enhanced atmospherics (EA).  EA still needs work.

I would disagree that’s the main selling point. I can’t recall the last time I’ve flown to a default airport. Main selling point for me was the performance gain 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Just now, micstatic said:

I would disagree that’s the main selling point. I can’t recall the last time I’ve flown to a default airport. Main selling point for me was the performance gain 

For me it was a main selling feature. We all have different interest in what we do with a flight sim and what is important to them. It would also depend on what type of flying you're doing and your budget. I do a lot of low and slow flying touring various areas of the world and land at a lot of airports. I Usually land at an airport once or twice and that's it, why would I spend a lot of money on individual airports if I'm only going to go there once?

• Like 2

John C.

4 hours ago, skip d said:

I'm using P3dv4.5.

Can I carry the aircraft from 4.5 to 5.0 ??

Thanks

I went from FSX to P3D5 and most of my aircraft worked ok with free updates from the respective vendors. They only one so far that I'm still waiting for is Milviz to update their planes.

John C.

8 minutes ago, johncott said:

For me it was a main selling feature. We all have different interest in what we do with a flight sim and what is important to them. It would also depend on what type of flying you're doing and your budget. I do a lot of low and slow flying touring various areas of the world and land at a lot of airports. I Usually land at an airport once or twice and that's it, why would I spend a lot of money on individual airports if I'm only going to go there once?

Gotcha. I would say then the biggest selling point for you then. But I’m going to guess that isn’t for the majority.