Sign in to follow this  
Biology

Is Orbx Global worth it for P3D v5?

Hi,

I have been watching Orbx/FTX Global Base vs default videos, and noticed that they really don't make much of a difference, same story for Tress HD and Buildings HD and even TerraFlora. I am confused, as Orbx Global is known as one of the must-have add-ons. How much of a difference does it make? Is it actually worth getting?

Thank you.

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

Honestly makes a huge difference. You will notice within 30 seconds 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

21 minutes ago, micstatic said:

Honestly makes a huge difference. You will notice within 30 seconds 

+ 1

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

I see, thank you.

So, videos like these are outdated?

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

If that video is a reflection of the difference between FTX Global and default scenery in 2020, then both options leave a massive amount to be desired as far as I am concerned.

• Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Also, if Orbx Global indeed makes a difference, what should I get?

I am on P3D v5, do I need to get Vector? I was planning to get openLC too, it says Vector is strongly recommended but not sure the information there is up-to-date.

I see that you are using MSFS 2020 P3D and XP11, the question is what is more important for you.

If you are looking for scenery there is no question about MSFS2020.

If you are looking for stock aircraft dynamics (how they fly) XP11 and P3D.

If you are looking for a more stable platform less software issues XP11.

Right now I'm more into P3D just for the reason of how the airplanes fly, more stable. Visuals is MFS2020 are beautiful very close to Level D airline simulator but because the way airplanes fly so unrealistic I stay away from it, not worth it at the moment.

It's all about what are you looking for.

Re Vector, it's a performance hug.

Edited by killthespam

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

I am mostly looking for detailed & complete airliners, which is why I'm mostly using P3D these days. But the default is really ugly, and I wanted to have both good graphics and complex airliners.

Ahhhh, unfortunately at the moment there is no winer. I'm with you on this issue.

All of them have problems and very stubborn, from "complete airline" aircraft experience I think that FSLabs and PMDG (even they have issues) are one of the best in this market that work on P3D.

This new version of P3D is very well CPU and GPU optimized and excellent on performance, but other aspects not so, lately is typical for the developers to fix something and brake more. It seems like all of them lost good programers and quality control.

Me personally I stoped investing in this hobby and wait to see who's worth it. 

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Not for me.

Instead I use a combination of payware (TrueEarth or MegaSceneryEarth plus Nuvecta autogen) and freeware aerial imagery (plus autogen).

Photo scenery takes up *a lot* of hard drive space, yet I have narrowed it down to a select few contiguous areas (Western USA, Western Europe, New Zealand, parts of China and parts of Australia), that I've steadily built up over the past two years.
This makes my P3D look as as close as possible to looking out of the window in the real world. It's the intricate differences that exist in aerial imagery that I just don't get from landclass.
Because of aerial imagery's realism, I no longer fly in areas that I don't have covered by photo scenery in my sim (The one exception being Africa, using Orbx's landclass for the continent).

It's not always perfect, but it is such a more modern answer to Flight Simming in 2020 than landclass textures are, IMO.
YMMV.

yLT9t6S.jpg

67UYXF1.jpg

jTTnXhB.jpg

Edited by F737NG
Clarity
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I highly recommend the ORBX Global Base Pack, which provides much better textures for the entire world, plus some landclass fixes that especially improve the U.S. Southwest and Southeast Asia.

ORBX openLC contain accurate landclass plus some custom textures for the regions they cover.  Again, highly recommended.

I have ORBX Vector and really like it, but if you're using P3Dv5 then you may not need it.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

You need texture replacements (FTX Global), a decent landclass (OpenLC), and vector scenery (e.g. Ultimate Terrain X or Orbx vector) to make it worthwhile.  I find that FTX Global combined with the Orbx Open LC products and UTX are a pretty decent solution in the vast majority of the places where I fly tubeliners (North America, Europe). 

You can find locations in every sim, MSFS included, that look terrible, and are not representative of the scenery overall.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

3 hours ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

...and I wanted to have both good graphics and complex airliners.

The Holy Grail

Edited by RichieFly
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I also love megascenery earth with nuvecta. But I only really like it for the us west coast. Wasn’t a fan of Georgia and Florida so I stopped buying. But it’s great for California, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, Arizona. The southwest in my opinion is a weak spot for orbx and megascenery earth with nuvecta massively improved that 

• Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

I also love megascenery earth with nuvecta. But I only really like it for the us west coast. Wasn’t a fan of Georgia and Florida so I stopped buying. But it’s great for California, Nevada, Colorado, Utah, Arizona. The southwest in my opinion is a weak spot for orbx and megascenery earth with nuvecta massively improved that 

I’m with you 100%. MSE photoscenery looks amazing in the American Southwest but I don’t like it too much in other areas. I’m guessing the improved quality specifically in the Southwest is due to the dry and arid climate, which allows for improved imagery quality.

I have Currently not reinstalled any of the OrbX Global addons, but I might still once the 5.1 HF1 comes out. My favorite feature of OrbX global was actually the road lighting at night, but I’m not sure I would want to deal with Vector again just for that...

• Like 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case