Sign in to follow this  
Carts85

Will my CPU bottleneck the new RX6800 for MSFS??

Guys I need advice!

Current set up is a 1070  / 4790k (slight overclock 4.2 / 32gb ram on a 27in 1080p monitor.

I'm looking to purchase the new RX6800 on release and upgrade my monitor to a 31in 1440p.

What I need advice on is will my CPU bottleneck me to such a degree that its not worth it?

If it does, can anyone suggest a good cheaper alternative to the 4790K??

7 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Depends on which applications you are talking about..

He mentions MSFS in the title. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

3 hours ago, RobJC said:

He mentions MSFS in the title. 

Look at task manager in Windows and look at current CPU and GPU utilization.

Then try 1440p with your 1070 and track what happens... if the GPU is running at 99%, go to the faster GPU.

• Like 1

Bert

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Then try 1440p with your 1070 and track what happens... if the GPU is running at 99%, go to the faster GPU.

Huh? What does this have to do with my comment? 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

51 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Huh? What does this have to do with my comment? 

Sorry, this was directed at the OP..

Bert

Just now, Bert Pieke said:

Sorry, this was directed at the OP..

No problem Bert. 

21 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

My GPU and my main thread are already hitting red in DEV mode within the sim. Am guessing that’s more or just as accurate in the task manager. After doing a fair amount of research this week I think am going to do a full upgrade. It’s been 5 years so I’ve got my money’s worth.

Another question, anyone on a 4K tv might be able to confirm this but will a 50hz refresh rate be ok for MSFS?

my new system am aiming for will be a 5600x / 6800xt with a 4K 43’ tv.

Edited by Carts85

6 hours ago, Carts85 said:

My GPU and my main thread are already hitting red in DEV mode within the sim. Am guessing that’s more or just as accurate in the task manager. After doing a fair amount of research this week I think am going to do a full upgrade. It’s been 5 years so I’ve got my money’s worth.

Another question, anyone on a 4K tv might be able to confirm this but will a 50hz refresh rate be ok for MSFS?

my new system am aiming for will be a 5600x / 6800xt with a 4K 43’ tv.

Likely doing the same but hoping for a 3080 card with more VRAM

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

1 hour ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Likely doing the same but hoping for a 3080 card with more VRAM

Be good if that was an option now, I’m hoping the 6800xt with the 16gb should do me for the next few years while I move to 4K and then over to VR next year. Guess will see on that.

Looks like the 6800XT is faster than the 3080 and slower than the 3090, so pretty much right in the middle of those two performance wise.