Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

The sensation of speed in FS9

Guest ThrottleUp

Just wanted to get this out of my head and see what all of you think :)Is it just me or is the sensation of speed all wrong in FS9? A good example in my opinion is flying past(or through) clouds. When we fly in real life on jet airliners and the airplane passes close to clouds they just WHIP past at great speed which gives a good sensation of high speed - specially if the plane is powering away in the climb or its in the cruise.But in FS9 the clouds tootle leisurely past even when you're doing Mach 0.82 in close proximity to them. I find the same problem when flying at low level where the terrain seems to fly past the plane at a slow speed even though you are bangin' along @ 200kts.Like I said this is a personal observation and I'd like to know if any of you feel the same!

Well, the lack of periferal vision or real depth perception doesn't help fool you either.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

>Just wanted to get this out of my head and see what all of>you think :)>>Is it just me or is the sensation of speed all wrong in FS9? I believe the "possible effects" are quite realistic. I use a combination of VC's and zoom ratios to get the look I expect, when it comes to speed sensation. Most of my flights are over mountainous terrain, rather than through whispy clouds.The zoom setting, width of the cockpit, sides of the cockpit and width of perhipheral vision can make many differences in sensation. I use the X-Plane transparent cockpit as an example. The landing sensation can seem a bit slow, until you hit the transparent cockpit button. Then all of a sudden, you're looking at the runway at the bottom of the cockpit, as well as sides, and everything seems to have speeded up, yet the picture frame and aspect ratio remains the same.These same effects are possible with many variations in the virtual cockpit. Since I've done a lot of "full size" mountain flight, it's easy to get the right "picture" within FS. L.Adamson

Guest Adverse Yawn

With regard to the terrain. I agree with the others, it just is a facet of depth perception and expecially a lack of peripheral vision. It is the peripheral vision that seems to provide a tremendous amount of subconcious visual clues.

It would be interesting to see FS9 with 5 monitors hooked up to give to a basic 180

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

>It would be interesting to see FS9 with 5 monitors hooked up>to give to a basic 180

Dave Taylor gb.png

When I fly as a passenger I never see the clouds just "whip" past, even when you're near them.

Guest Adverse Yawn

We're talking about the effects of peripheral vision. TrackIR doesn't help in that respect.

>We're talking about the effects of peripheral vision. TrackIR>doesn't help in that respect.Are you talking from experience or just guessing?I'm also assuming you have no 'wing views' either eh?Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Adverse Yawn

Experience and guessing :)

Guest Adverse Yawn

Good point. I didn't think of that at all. I suspect one would need to create a combination of changes to induce an accurate sensation.

I think part of the problem is clouds don't get close to the aircraft in FS9. In real aircraft when ot appears the clouds are going by at great speed is when they are passing over the wing close to the fuselage. This isn't possible in FS9. When the plane goes through the clouds in FS9 they go around the perimeter of the aircraft not cutting close to the fuselage as in real planes.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest ThrottleUp

------------------------------------------------In real aircraft when ot appears the clouds aregoing by at great speed is when they are passing over the wing close to the fuselage.------------------------------------------------That is EXACTLY what I meant when I said that they "whip" past. You put it so much better than me hee hee. So thats what it is...I hope they let the clouds get right up against the plane in FSX so we get that same "tearing thorugh the cluds" feeling we get in real life.-->Interesting to read all your replies, thanks! Hopefully a Microsoft FSX scout will spot this thread and report back to HQ mruahahahahaa :(