Sign in to follow this  
mtroberts1768

What Environment is Best for MSFS 2020?

I can't run MSFS 2020 in Steam. Don't ask - it would take too long to explain. However, if you would like to have a side discussion I can send you my email address.

Xbox is very unclear if I can run the premium deluxe version of MSFS 2020 in Xbox without a Game Pass. In 2 years I will have paid for the game twice with Game Pass!

My question is this - if I buy MSFS 2020 outright what is the best environment I can run it in without incurring additional costs? Can I run it outside of Xbox? How do I install it, set it up, and run it without Steam or Xbox, assuming that it is possible? Thank you.

2 hours ago, mtroberts1768 said:

My question is this - if I buy MSFS 2020 outright what is the best environment I can run it in without incurring additional costs?

I'm not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by "best environment" and what additional costs are you concerned about?

If perhaps you're asking if MFS is an XBox Play Anywhere title, then yes. If you buy it on PC from the Microsoft Store, you will also own the XBox version when it is released. If you buy the Steam version, you only get the Steam PC version and won't be able to play it on XBox.

I addition to the above, Xbox is both games console and a PC app. If you are not using Steam, you will need to use Xbox (the app). Steam and the Xbox app are just different platforms for running games on your PC. There is no requirement to own an Xbox console to run the Xbox version of MSFS.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Yes, the Xbox version can be run like any game or sim downloaded from online which is made for the PC windows 10 OS. You don't need to join anything, subscribe, or own any hardware except a suitable PC. You do have to join up with a Microsoft account.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Thank you all. I understand now. 'Environment' is an old term I used for 40 years in IT. The Xbox software is an environment to me. Sorry for the misunderstanding. All your comments helped my understanding.  

1 hour ago, mtroberts1768 said:

'Environment' is an old term I used for 40 years in IT. The Xbox software is an environment to me. 

I got your point. In this context, 'environment' and 'platform' are interchangeable.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)