Sign in to follow this  
BigG433

Has MSFS 2020 met your initial expections?

As a former IT project delivery manager, I always found it useful to understand how a software release met initial user expectations. Having read a multitude of comments and opinions regarding MSFS 2020, I'm interested to know if the simulation has met your initial expectations. If so, why? If not, what would you characterize are your biggest disappointments?

I for one would say the release has met my expectations for the most part. I primarily fly GA aircraft so I appreciate the graphics detail. Is it perfect? Certainly not but I try not to let my expectations interfere with my ability to enjoy my use of the software in its current state. I've learned to utilize the functionality that is available understanding that some functionality needs further attention. And in time, updates will address current issues. I am especially looking forward to VR implementation knowing the initial release may need refining over time. I accept Asobo's expressed long term commitment to improving MSFS 2020 and look forward to these improvements as the software matures.

• Like 8

System: i7-10700K, Asus Formula XII, 32GB ram, Samsung 2TB NVMe SSD, EVGA FTW 3090, HP Reverb G2 headset

Hardware: VitualFly Yoko yoke, VirtualFly TQ6 throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Simulations: MSFS 2020 (VR), P3Dv5.3 (VR), X-Plane 11.5 (VR), DCS (VR)

28 minutes ago, BigG433 said:

what would you characterize are your biggest disappointments?

My biggest disappointments are first the misleading and deceiving YT promoters in their reviews, I could rant more but I'll leave it at that. My second biggest disappointment is that this is basically still an early access sim with very a very nice world environment. Third, there is no way that this could be use anywhere near as a learning tool for instrument procedures. Again you could go back 10 years and find a flight sim with more accurate and complete data and procedures. What ? was that to much.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

there was quite a build-up prior to the release, and a lot of what was promised isn't in the sim, or working properly in the sim at this point, so I doubt many peoples expectations have been met. But I am pleased with it and think it is improving. The Japan update is spectacular, and I'm looking forward to seeing what is coming for other parts of the world. The people that like to twiddle the knobs at 30,000' aren't pleased but I don't think this was ever pitched as an IFR study level sim, and there is still xplane and all to keep them happy. Anyway, the scenery is amazing, and I'm now able to fly the two AC that I like the most without any glitches, so I am very happy with it overall.

since you ask . I had done my best to keep up with everything that was said or leaked about FS2020 before the release was announced i was expecting a release with problems like every other home simulator and than the early preorder options was announced i placed the order right away for the deluxe edition . When the actual early non expected release date was announced was there when I knew I for the lack of a better word knew i may of just screw myself BUT I again was fully aware on what to expect. To make this story shorter yes I got exactly what I expected and yes Im Happy with what we have so far ,

1 I followed up and had reported problems the proper way to asobo . becase starting 87 new threads here acting like Im the god of simmers because im a real world pilot and what i say is part of a simulation Bible wont fix problems. 

2 Yes im happy and if anyone gets mad that I and others are enjoying what we have despite the current limitations I truly feel sorry  if that bothers anyone. 

3 . for years I wanted to stop using 3rd party apps that need to be running a side from the sim to get everything working like weather apps and for what i can see Asobos intentions are to achieve that but also are giving 3rd partys a change to chime in . THEY JUST NEED TIME. 

Please people if you been following the development of FS2020 from the beginning and you use your bit of sane sence there’s no way you could expect a fully cooked cake 🎂 when for what ever reason it was obviously pulled out of the oven before it was time . 

If you want to act like you can do better please show us put a team together and release the best next thing . 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I would describe my relationship to the new sim as „quite content“. It is not yet „my sim“ - I am still more on the side of my old environment that I continue to use 50 percent of time - because it is familiar and reliable.

MSFS is still in developement at this time and it will continue in this status for a good while I suppose - but that is what I expected and so I am not irritated by all the tiny messy bits in this in other ways fabulous and exciting product. 

I did not yet buy any addon for MSFS - I am still waiting if it is going to become really „my sim“ after being perfected in the future. But I am very optimistic enjoying the new star in the skies of flight simulation as a participating and symathizing observer.

Edited by PTI139

I've been their biggest word not allowed, and still am, but; we also have to be honest.  The core main advertised features of the sim are not working by a long shot. 

While we don't expect study level aircraft and avionics, the basics should work.  It seems like they know what that balance should be, but they just can't seem to fix it.

Accurate weather on the ground is a must, especially if you're flying online.  You can't use 'forecast' model data there.  They're going to have to find a way to blend that theory a lot better.

The method of updating the sim itself and the marketplace should be 'more' live so to speak.  This is especially true since they're giving us updated navdata.  You don't want navdata that's only going to be good for 1 to 2 weeks at best.  You could also potentially be loosing out on sales when developers are selling both from their site and the marketplace and customers can get products updates faster when NOT using the marketplace.

There also seems to be a disconnect between an user's windows login and their gamertag which could be the cause of some users not being able to purchase from the marketplace at all.  The workaround they have has worked for some, but not for others.

They also need to clean up the store and the xbox companion thingy where it shows multiple FS versions.  That could be the cause of some user issues when it comes to updates and in-game purchases.  Even I don't which one I have anymore...lol

They need to also fix the default sound device issue when you can't load the sim without first changing the default sound device to something else.

There's a lot we could go in to, but I think you all know what the issues are.  Unfortunately it looks like we are still a good year or so from having the sim of all sims with the core features working.

I still think we have the sim of the future here and ASOBO has done a really fantastic job, but a lot of work needs to be done.  

In the mean time, I've been loading up on scenery so I'll be ready for the first decent payware aircraft to hit the market. 🙂  I think oddly enough that the freeware fly-by-wire A320 project will by far be the best and be ready much much sooner that FSL.  PMDG will be probably be the first Boeing, as usual.  Hopefully the CRJ turns out well.

In any case, I guess we just kind of tool around in the 172 or TBM for now. 🙂 

• Like 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

I believe it is a major achievement to deliver a WW scenery streaming service that actually works, and even at scale.

That coupled with an initial implementation, even with its shortcomings, that delivers a smooth simming experience on current level hardware is quite something!

Am I impressed? Yes, I am.

As for shortcomings.. my hope is that Asobo will overhaul their Garmin avionics and make them work like the real thing... and if they do not, it looks like the user community may do it for them.. 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Bert

I would put myself nominally in the "No" column, because my expectations were that the aircraft would be in better shape "out of the box" with regards to avionics and stuff.

That said, I don't know that I put that on Asobo, because I get the impression August isn't when they wanted to ship.  No one runs a 10 month alpha, then goes into beta for... two weeks.  That's something you do if Microsoft suddenly informed you the sim needed to go live in August.

I'm not pessimistic though.  There's still plenty to love and gawk at, and I have every confidence that Asobo will iron things out - we'll just have to grit our teeth and be patient.

The longevity of this product will be with the flight sim community, and Asobo have given every indication they understand that.  That means refining the experience into the best simulator it can be, and giving third parties the tools they need to deliver the add-on products the community demands.

A year from now, maybe even less, we'll be able to look back and laugh at these early growing pains.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I'm a Yes.

I see MSFS as a 10 year project.  For something this massively complex, it's unreasonable to expect perfection out of the box.  Maybe some of the marketing was a bit over the top, but that's just the nature of marketing in every industry.

Sure, if I was the MSFS project manager there are things I would have done differently, but then again what interests me 99 percent of all users could care less about, especially the upcoming XBox crowd.

The overwhelming majority of users just want pretty graphics; it's only the 1 percent (generally the most vocal group of them all) who want to see the nuances of a turbo prop engine modelled in great detail.  99 percent of all users could really care less about torque bloom, for example.

For me, it's very difficult to start FSX or P3D after seeing MSFS.  The only benefit of FSX/P3D is that they load a lot faster 😉

Edited by byork
  • Like 1

Resounding yes imho. There are a few wrinkles to be ironed out, but for the most part I'm very pleased on how it runs on my 2014 vintage rig.

MSFS 2020 has vastly exceeded my expectations for a Triple A game release. I didn't much follow the pre-release hype, and knew that it was just that, hype and marketing. Par for the course in the world of gaming development. Imagine my surprise when I started my first flight and realized that the game was running pretty good on my 5 year old PC, the visuals were terrific and the default planes were an excellent start. Needless to say, I immediately deleted P3D off of my harddrive. 

• Like 1

Not happy with the quality of quilted scenery from Bing

Have had few complete flights without running into unsolvable problems

Its a pretty game with  pretty pictures of a cockpit 

But it aint a sim.....yet

Edited by peppy197

Definitely a yes. Lots of work to do but it is amazing. I wasn’t investing in a 3 month game. This is a multi-year sim and like any huge undertaking MSFS will take time to blossom. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Most definitely met my expectations because I kept my expectations at a reasonable level. I personally have had very few issues with it, very few CTD that have been long fixed. I do read the forums quite a bit and what I gather is that people who say they are disappointed had very high expectation levels. I mean some people were expecting the stock planes to be study level, they were expecting their 5 year old computers to get 60FPS on Ultra Settings with zero glitches.

Flight sims have always been a long term investment type of thing. I'm very hopeful for FS2020. The community has already done so much in such little time and it's just going to get better and better from here on out and I can't wait. 

As with any product that has a competing product, there will be word not allowed who will say this, say that and that's happening a lot too but overall, I'd say I'm satisfied.

• Like 3