Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

What IS it with @?

"Old" boy? Well, you may be right. I can remember when there was no "social media". You had to go to a bar and buy endless drinks to be ignored by multiple women.  🙂

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 4

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

10 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

Oh he's very adept, it's just that he doesn't want to adapt!

Yep, misspelled there, i'm,not a native English speaker, ofcourse i meant adapt.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

3 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

If it's not social media, then I'd like to know what is. Think your 1 in 1000 stats might be a little orff old boy.

I don't know if he's a little orff, but he might be a litlle off there.

• Like 1

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

@Ron Attwood (Sorry, but it serves a purpose!😉 ), for what it's worth, I've never liked it myself but appreciate what it's for.

Would I be right in thinking you're dislike is the @ standing for "at" when it should really be "to" as in "This is addressed to"? Because that irks me too as it's poor grammar. If all social media platforms translated "@xxxxxx" as either "To xxxxxx" and highlighted it as it does on this very forum (or even just omitted the prefix altogether: highlighting "xxxxxx") , grammar sensitivities would no longer be insulted, but I suppose that would require a huge overhaul of every possible system using it, from websites to mobile device apps and so on.

But, it is what it is, a method of ensuring the person you are addressing is informed that you have done so. And, for that reason, I shall continue to use it (as sparingly as I can manage), even if it is through slightly gritted teeth.🙂

Regards, a committed "will never sign up to twitter" @109Sqn😉

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

1 hour ago, Wildblue said:

I love a bit of Orff

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

19 hours ago, MarkW said:

I thought the idea of doing this rather than just typing in the username is that is allows Avsim (or any other program) to send a notification to the user that they have been mentioned in a post....otherwise how would they know and be able to respond.  But what do I know....I don't use Twitter or Instagram, etc.  Thanks for brining this up @Ron Attwood

Exactly. For example, when I wanted to indicate I was tagging @Ron Attwood in a most (most likely to bring to his attention) I could use the @  simbol. Which is confusing to write without it becoming @simbol 

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

25 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

Exactly. For example, when I wanted to indicate I was tagging @Ron Attwood in a most (most likely to bring to his attention) I could use the @  simbol. Which is confusing to write without it becoming @simbol 

Who is mentioning me? lol 

S.

9 hours ago, W2DR said:

"Old" boy? Well, you may be right. I can remember when there was no "social media". You had to go to a bar and buy endless drinks to be ignored by multiple women.  🙂

Sorry, English is my first language and may be confusing. The "old boy" is nothing to do with age. It's sort of an old tradition (here's one explanation) that when one chats to another person, if they're of the same social status or background,  or from the same school, one used to say "old boy" as in old boy of the same school, or internet forum to update the analogy.

No that doesn't really read very well but I hope the general explanation makes sense enough to understand the context of my remarks. 

• Like 1

Top hole explanation there Fizzelle, old son! :cool:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Agree with Ron and 109Sqn (sorry, no @)  The flightsim forums and email are my only "social media".   My bet is that the average Jr. High School or High School student has no idea how to write and send a letter through the "Snail Mail".

I don't particularly like the @ sign.  But it is part of the AVSIM system, so will live with it and try not using it.

Sorry, I'm showing my age....Middle  School replaced Jr. High a long time ago. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

The "old boy" is nothing to do with age.

I sort of had my tongue in my cheek when I said that. I just love some of the English words and phrases. I'm reminded me of the time a couple from Bridgewater moved here (Florida) and bought a house just down the street from us. They had been here about two weeks when our doorbell rang one evening. I opened the door and there stood one of our new English neighbors. With the nicest of smiles she wished me a good  evening and asked me if I'd seen her pussy. It took me a moment to realize she was looking for her cat.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Indeed! James Bond started it all in the film Goldfinger when he woke up in the aeroplane and found her (Pussy Galore) leaning over him. "Ah, pooozzzy", he purred. (RIP Sean).

It then came to prominence in an English sitcom (set in a department store) called "Are you being served". One of the assistants, a Mrs Slocombe, was always being asked by her manager why she was late for work. She'd inevitably reply, "I've had trouble with my pussy", to howls of laughter from the audience. Worth checking out on YouTube where you'll come across another catch-phrase from one of the characters (who was gay but only hinted at in the series), "I'm free"!

Ah the 1960s and 1970s and songs like "Didn't we have a wonderful time the day we went to Bangor" etc.

Edited by Fizzelle
error
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Wildblue said:

Actually I just wanted to explain this orff business too as it goes with the "old boy" part. It's a sort of snobbish thing and goes hand-in-hand with it.

One example of it in use is Michael Caine in the 1960s film "The Italian Job". His character is talking to the garage owner where he had been storing his Aston Martin whilst he was "inside". He had the man open the bonnet (hood in the USA) so he could retrieve his stash of cash from the engine department. He then went into a long pretext as to whether sufficient air was getting into the carburettor and asked the man if he thought it needed more air (leaning the mixture) as he thought it may be a little "orff". Michael's character was being played as upper class or snobbish when (like me) he was just ordinary (ornery in the USA), and he was trying to show how upper class he thought he was.

No offence meant, I was just mucking about. I am far from snobbish etc. Superior maybe, but not snobbish. However please don't speak to my wife who may well hold a contrary view.

Hmm prolly didn't explain that very well either. But note the careful use of aircraft type expressions to keep it within context for a flight sim forum!