Sign in to follow this  
kingie

Issue pilot2atc IFR flightplan without tower frequency

I've got a flight plan set up from MYAM to KMCO with a SID and STAR where the departing airport doesn't have its own tower so when I request takeoff permission it tells me "Silver Airways One One Six There is no Tower frequency at this airport.  Takeoff at pilot discretion."

My problem is that after I takeoff it does not seem to recognize I have taken off. I don't get new altitude clearances nor any new directions. The "request" options in the SayIt menu also don't change to the ones where you can request new altitude etc. I can only get new altitude by saying "ready to copy". Even then it tells me "Silver Airways One One Six Readback Correct.  Contact us for IFR Release when you are number one for departure. "

Is my procedure wrong or is there something going wrong with that specific route?

When departing an un-towered airport you have to get IFR Release clearance before you takeoff.

So,

1. tune to the airport's Departure frequency or if none, to the Center Frequency listed at the top of the Frequencies window.
  2. Request IFR Clearance and do the readback
  3. When #1 for the active, request IFR Release, something like: "<CallSign> is number one for departure runway 35 at Kilo Lima Whiskey Yankee, requesting IFR Release"
  4. You'll get a release and be told to contact the controller when airborne
  5. Do your takeoff and make a call to ATC after takeoff like "<CallSign> climbing to 5000 feet" or whatever the initial cleared altitude was.

All else should proceed as usual.

Dave

Thank you for your quick response!! I am currently still using the trial version but the fact you responded so quickly made me a lot more inclined to purchase P2A after my trial 😀

For the moment I am using the SayIt feature which has worked without any problems for me so far. I have just reset the flight, requested IFR clearance, did the engine start request, taxi request, then selected the following:

Me: Silver Airways One One Six Number One for Departure Runway Zero Nine;
ATC: Silver Airways One One Six There is no Tower frequency at this airport.  Takeoff at pilot discretion.

After that I have no option to report my altitude or something, which option should I use? See the attached screenshot for available SayIts.p2a.png

I can't tell, but it seems you're on Ground frequency.  You need to change to Center Frequency or Departure frequency.  Then you should have a Request type named IFR Release which will have the phrases you need.

Dave

Oh, didn't bother changing a frequency because I had the option selected to do it automatically. But when I select the center frequency (I am already airborne and all). I see the expected options, I'll finish my current flight and then try to do another takeoff from the original airport to see if it goes right when I make sure the right frequency is selected.

When requesting clearance you the clearance freq if there is one, the tower freq if there is no clearance freq, the ground freq if there is no tower freq, or center. If you click the Freq button to the right of the P2A map you should get a list of the frequencies for the airport. Or you can consult airport charts (try Skyvector.com).

So I am having the same issue.  I have checked to make sure I am on the frequency assigned but I am not getting an IFR release phase in the say it boxes and the controller will not give me a release.  They just keep saying...This is Houston center on 134.95 (the channel I was told to call for IFR release on) and to please repeat my request. I get a green text in the window and it reads exactly like the sample phrases in the manual.  I cant seem to figure this out.  Any have any ideas?

If you're on a Center, Appr or Departure Frequency there should be an "IFR Release" category in the "Request" type on SayIt and SayIt Plus.  

Dave

That is part of the problem. That prompt is not showing up in say it. Which tends to make me think I am on the wrong frequency. But I have checked the frequency repeatedly and it is the freq they tell me to be on. Uncontrolled airport ...taking to Houston clearance.

I tried asking for a frequency change to center but It says that center is not available. I am on the center clearance delivery frequency 134.950. That is the same frequency it tells me to call on when I get my IFR clearance and the same frequency for my IFR release.

OK.  I now see what you're talking about.  Kerrville has a Clr Delivery Frequency and the Center Frequency happens to be the same.  

You'll need to go into TaxiMnt and edit the Center Frequency.  I changed mine to 134.90.  The is the precise situation that the ability to edit Center Frequencies is meant for.

After a restart, you will have a Center Freq that does not conflict with the Clr Delivery Freq and you'll get the IFR Release in SayIt.  

Dave