Sign in to follow this  
WidowsSon

Nvidia RTX 3090 vs 2080 Ti vs 1070 Ti

Have used and compared all three cards with findings here if you are interested. Follow up video including optimal settings coming soon.

Running 3900X / 64GB 3200 RAM / Gen4 NVMe / 3090 but compare all three cards here:

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, WidowsSon said:

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
Wrong edit

2 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Conclusion: stick with 1080p and you'll be good. 

No thanks, I rather fly at 4k over 1080p any day.

• Like 7

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

6 minutes ago, captain420 said:

No thanks, I rather fly at 4k over 1080p any day.

Maybe it’s a case of once you go 4K you can’t go back... I’ve only had 1080P monitors and I’m very happy locked at 60 FPS everywhere...

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

2k has treated me well...seems a good compromise on a 32” monitor.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

5 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Why did he use such garbage monitors to test with?

I do not see the relevance of what monitors I used at all. They don't effect either the test or your viewing of it.

• Like 5

Like many of us am close to pulling the trigger on my next set up so appreciate the comparisons... I’m in the 1080p club currently but as I’ve never experienced this sim in 4K. The guys that do fly in 4k is it really that big of a leap? FPS aside purely from a display point of view is it worth it as I’m really banging my head over 4k vs 1440p.

57 minutes ago, WidowsSon said:

I do not see the relevance of what monitors I used at all. They don't effect either the test or your viewing of it.

I'm curious if you considered going with Big Navi and a CPU upgrade?  

Based on what I've seen, I can switch from my Intel i7-9700k and 2080Ti to a full AMD setup with 570x/5900x/6900xt and get the same performance as a 3090 or better for the same or less money.  What's not clear is how much an advantage a complete AMD solution with the smart access memory might afford. 

EDIT: Hard to believe that a 3090 still barely manages 30fps on 4K ultra.  BTW, what settings are most CPU intensive?

Edited by Virtual-Chris

3 minutes ago, Carts85 said:

Like many of us am close to pulling the trigger on my next set up so appreciate the comparisons... I’m in the 1080p club currently but as I’ve never experienced this sim in 4K. The guys that do fly in 4k is it really that big of a leap? FPS aside purely from a display point of view is it worth it as I’m really banging my head over 4k vs 1440p.

I think it is a big leap provided you have a large display.  I use a 43" display that is basically right in front of my face.  So 4k makes a difference.  As far as cards.  My replacement right now is either the Nvidia 3090 or the AMD 6800XT

• Like 4

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

18 minutes ago, Carts85 said:

I have a 3440x1440 120hz ultra wide on my desk. Images are very sharp and I am extremely satisfied with it,

• Like 4

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

13 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I'm curious if you considered going with Big Navi and a CPU upgrade?  

Based on what I've seen, I can switch from my Intel i7-9700k and 2080Ti to a full AMD setup with 570x/5900x/6900xt and get the same performance as a 3090 or better for the same or less money.  What's not clear is how much an advantage a complete AMD solution with the smart access memory might afford. 

EDIT: Hard to believe that a 3090 still barely manages 30fps on 4K ultra.  BTW, what settings are most CPU intensive?

@Carts85 Yes, its a big leap, night and day. At true 4k at the proper distance, you don't even need Anti-Aliasing. 8k will completely eliminate the need for AA.

@Virtual-Chris Yes, I considered Big NAVI. Will most likely get a 6900 XT for comparison upon release. I'm planning a 5950X Cpu upgrade anyway, regardless of GPU.

That being said, I'm not convinced the 6900XT will be the superior card. It may be a better value for many people, but all things considered DLSS / Creative workflows etc.. Nvidia has had the lead in not just hardware, but software and drivers for many years. I love what a competitive AMD card will bring to consumers, but AMD is and has always been a hype machine. I'll believe it when I see it sort of thing. I'm not trying to hate on AMD as I've clearly jumped ship for their 5000 series processors (currently running a 3900X) as by far the best value.

Don't expect too much with the AMD CPU/GPU combo (maybe 1-2% is what insiders might be expecting). This isn't a magic button. The biggest gains for AMD gaming is doubling the core count and cache outside the infinity fabric. This will push their CPU's past Intel.

As far as 3090 barely pushing 30fsp at this point, that is because it's severely limited by the CPU. At full settings it was getting mid to high 30's, but was only at 75% utilization while CPU mainthread was maxed. By limiting the settings reliant on the mainthread process, we should easily be able to achieve v-sync at 60 fps Ultra settings IMO.

I'm working on a video that outlines how to setup and properly achieve a balanced load between CPU and GPU allowing you to ensure you're taking advantage of whatever CPU/GPU combination you may have.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Looks like we're back to chasing hardware. I think I'm going to wait until the Xbox version drops.

Edited by B787Pilot3222

@WidowsSonI haven't seen any proof AA isn't needed at 4k.  I wanted to believe that.  But MSFS and P3D proved that wrong to me. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next