Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

They rode a blazzing saddle

RIP Carole Arthur. How many of the crew of Blazzing  Saddle, a gem of American comedy, are still alive beside Mel Brooks  ? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Robyn Hilton is still going. I’m sure every red-blooded male will remember her. “Hello boys”! 😁

Sad that so many died young. A classic film that would never be made today.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Now I want beans for lunch while sitting around a campfire! 😋

• Like 3

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

There are so many great moments : the great Madeline Kahn on stage, the arrival of the new sheriff, the chain gang vs the cowboys choirs etc. and yes! gorgeous Robyn Hilton 😃 !

• Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

"Don't shoot Mongo. He gets riled when he's shot.". A horse plus rider on the gallows. Absolute genius by Mel Brookes.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

One of my favourite scenes: Mel Brooks as the Indian chief speaking Yiddish when he and the other Indians approach the wagon carrying young Bart and his family. I laugh every time I see this. Helps to know a little Yiddish ...

• Like 1

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Nearly any low German speaker should be able to understand Yiddish. A few words in Hebrew are thrown in the mix to confuse the goyim... 😤

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

6 hours ago, n4gix said:

Nearly any low German speaker should be able to understand Yiddish. A few words in Hebrew are thrown in the mix to confuse the goyim... 😤

a delightful book on Yiddish

https://www.amazon.com/Born-Kvetch-Yiddish-Language-Culture-ebook/dp/B003J4VE0O

Dominique

What a great film.  Sadly, that film could not be made today.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

1 hour ago, stans said:

What a great film.  Sadly, that film could not be made today.

Probably not in the US.  But remember, in the mid-70s  the film was almost not released. "When we screened it for executives, there were few laughs", said Brooks. "The head of distribution said, 'Let’s dump it and take a loss.' But [studio president John] Calley insisted they open it in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago as a test. It became the studio's top moneymaker that summer." (From wikipedia)

Fortunately the US public was smarter and had more humour than the Hollywood exec crowd.

In Europe, maybe as we are not yet totally perverted by the ideology of political correctness. But we don't have any Mel Brooks or Gene Wilder that I know of these days.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

36 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

In Europe, maybe as we are not yet totally perverted by the ideology of political correctness. But we don't have any Mel Brooks or Gene Wilder that I know of these days.

There is one beacon of hope left. Sasha Baron Cohen. Borat was wonderful but I believe his second film hasn’t hit the heights of the first which really was a master class of mickey taking as well as highlighting some aspects of American life.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The closer to Mel Brooks that I can think of, is a not well known but hilarious Israeli TV show called "The Jews are coming" about the history of the Jewish people. You can find some subtitled episodes on You Tube.   It is about the Jews but  the Anglos who are familiar with the biblical history should get the  fun. 

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Excellent movie, and as many have said, it cannot be made today. 

Mel Brooks is a genius. Cleavon Little should have won an Oscar for his role. 

“Badges? We don’t need no stinkin’ badges.”

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock