Sign in to follow this  
TacomaSailor

I thought the RNAV approaches were fixed

Flying the G36T (R. Young Turbo Bonanza) with the Working Title G1000 updates.

I was established on the KOLM RWY 17 RNAV (GPS) approach.  I had activated the approach prior to the IAF at CARRO.  The AP tracked to CARRO then to BOSTO (IF) then to OPOYU, which is the end of the step down altitude changes and is the beginning of the constant 3° glide slope.  I was at 2,400' (the required attitude at OPOYU) at the top of the white arc on the IAS flying the 176° course to the runway. 

At OPOYU, the last fix 6.8 NM from the TDZ, the AP made a 180° turn and flew back to BOSTO while the PFD and MFD both showed the waypoint to be OPOYU.  The MFD also had the magenta line in the Flight Plan box showing the plane was on the BOSTO to OPOYU leg. 

The plane continued on a course of 359 until I stopped the flight.

What do I need to do to make RNAV work on a very simple approach?

• Like 1

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

33 minutes ago, TacomaSailor said:

What do I need to do to make RNAV work on a very simple approach?

I have not had this happen recently since the last update and the subsequent update to Working Title's G1000 mod.  Before that I believe I had discovered that if turned back like you described, fly back clear of that previous waypoint, then enter the PROC page and once again Activate the approach.   

I have flown multiple approaches during the past week in first the DA62, and today in the Baron G58.  Both with the WT G1000 mod.  I have not had the turnaround issue at all since updating both.  Where I am still experiencing an issue is capturing the GS vertical guidance at the final approach fix (FAF).  ILS has been fine.  But for RNAV GPS LPV approaches I have needed to disengage the AP at the FAF and just fly the plane through the remainder of the approach.  Not an issue with the last three flights.  All RNAV LPV as no ILS was available at the destinations.  But with IMC it could be an issue.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

They're still not fixed 100% of the time

I'm still seeing the IAF disappear and you can only select 1 transition when there should be many more

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It seems like sometimes the entire approach simply doesn't load for some reason.  I'll get to the IAF and maybe a point or two further and it works fine, then suddenly it doesn't have any more approach points and just turns you towards the runway or just keeps flying you off to nowhere.  Navigraph data doesn't seem to fix it either.  RNAV definitely can work when everything loads properly, but it isn't consistent. 

• Like 1

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF