Sign in to follow this  
PinkPony

ASP3D now compatible with P3D v5.1

2 hours ago, mpo910 said:

OK. Understood the difference! A pity! 

Marcus

I have, in the past, had Active Sky effectively working over a multi-PC Wideview network by having a (licensed) copy of AS on each machine showing visuals as well as the host. As long as all the settings are identical and (this is critical) they are all started *at the same time*, you would get identical weather depiction on each machine. The refresh intervals all came up at the same time, so they changed weather in sync too. The big issue is precipitation - if it's showers vs full-time, AS seems to use a random timer to turn the rain on /off and this timer will be different on each machine, so you get rain on one display but not another. Not ideal. Also, over time, they would drift out of sync a little bit (and if you paused the host sim, everything would get out of sync). It's a bit of a faff but it was worth it to me to get AS working in my sim. It stopped working with EA in ASP3D beta - for whatever reason, the weather downloads would have different conditions, despite being for the same live or historical sim time, and even if they were identical, when overcast, I would get different cloud cover on each machine.

I will try out the new RC and see if it's working better for this hack, but more recently I've switched to FSGRW and I'm pretty happy with it. It caused stutters in P3D v5 HF2 for me, but those have gone in 5.1. 

From my experience with SimConnect programming it doesn't seem like it would take a huge effort to make the AS host push commands to multiple PCs each with the connector installed, but Hifi have said multiple times that there's not enough demand for the feature for them to spend time on it. Which is a shame.

• Like 1

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

46 minutes ago, neilhewitt said:

there's not enough demand for the feature for them to spend time on it

Actually we've spent lots of time on it, replacing the appropriate systems involved in synchronized randomization replication over the past 3 years that are needed and this is nearly complete in our later generation products.  We have a bit of work to do to push this to completion as imagined and it is always a struggle to get this up the priority list, but we're really hoping to get to this fairly soon.

Edited by Damian Clark
  • Like 19

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

@Damian ClarkThanks for all you do for our fantastic hobby.  

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

4 hours ago, mpo910 said:

I am on my way from ENVA to EDDF and have seen so many nice clouds which I never saw before. HiFi really nailed it and that probably with the current "restrictions" or "limited use they have.

If LM would implement more cloud variations, especially thunderstorm clouds/cumulonimbus and more variations for overcast conditions, this would be a real step forward.

But again...HiFi did make a lot out of it as it currently is! I let ASP3D use their own volumetric cloud cfg. This settings is probably the most important one as they seem to understand how to proper use the parameters within this cfg.

@HiFi: Great Job AND I would really like to see more of your great work as soon as LM let you "use the truesky sdk" further or they give you more controllability about truesky functionality!

A like it so far.

Marcus 

It's Works pretty Good  here too.

• Like 1

Francisco Aguiar

9 hours ago, GSalden said:

Today a 3090 is arriving for my server but as performance is very good with 5.1 icw my 2080 Ti (2x 4K) I in doubt whether or not I should return it and get back the 1700 euro’s I paid..

I'll buy it off you. Seriously.

Eric 

3 hours ago, micstatic said:

@Damian ClarkThanks for all you do for our fantastic hobby.  

I agree, with EA off,  ASP3D and CLOUDART give me a fantastic sky.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, LEFTSEAT said:

I agree, with EA off,  ASP3D and CLOUDART give me a fantastic sky.

What's different when comparing to v4.5? It's still 2D isn't it?

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

12 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Epic performance in V5.1 also ... maybe I don't need a 3090 or 6900 afterall ... hmmm

Cheers, Rob.

I upgraded my machine to 3080 and moved up to a gsync 4k monitor. P3D has never looked so beautiful. Flying out of Flytampa Boston with decent/flyable fps. Go for it! 

Cheers, Alan

I am getting no clouds in EA but with EA off it is cloudy.  Any ideas what I am doing wrong.

Darcy

Thanks!  I had to try this a couple of times before it worked.  Do you know if I have to do this every time?

It keeps reverting back to no clouds while in flight.  Something not right.  I will fly with EA off for now.

8 minutes ago, Darcy said:

It keeps reverting back to no clouds while in flight.  Something not right.  I will fly with EA off for now.

Be sure to report this on the AS beta forum. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Darcy said:

It's a known EA bug. If the sky is clear on start up you have to set a certain wheather theme, like Rob said, or, what I do, is adding a random cloud layer manually to get the clouds to show up. Then I start ASP3D and let it do its thing. I had hoped this would have been fixed by now but it seems it's another bug which is still there even though EA is now out of beta.

Does the sudden weather change with ASP3D still happen and does one still get the same cloud cover all the way to the horizon?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

1 minute ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Are you talking about "default/custom" weather or using a 3rd party weather engine?

Cheers, Rob. 

I am using ASp3d 7613 (newest version).  With EA on changing to fair weather brings clouds back (EA off no issue with clouds),  then while flying it reverts back to having no clouds with EA on.