Sign in to follow this  
PinkPony

ASP3D now compatible with P3D v5.1

Just now, Damian Clark said:

Unchecked by default if you want ASP3D to control things.  Check it and disable ASP3D control if you want to enable other modifications.

Sorry, I'm just getting caught up on this topic, with regards to modifications of the VolumetricClouds.cfg. So if we want to use our own modifications in that cfg, we would check that box, correct?

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Just now, SolRayz said:

So if we want to use our own modifications in that cfg, we would check that box, correct?

Yes

• Like 1

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Just tried the new AS version. Highly recommended without EA. In combination with ASCA and HDR on (!) in P3D, it looks fabulous. Play a little bit with the HDR settings and the clouds look beautiful without any known problems of EA. With limited visibility in AS (I have 30 miles), it looks absolutely realistic. No strange cloud patterns visible, no visible objects in haze, smooth, realistic weather transitions, no flickering clouds, no VRAM-problems, etc.. 

• Upvote 1

I just updated to 5.1 with the new Active Sky update and with EA on a get zero clouds. 

Is it because I only updated client? 

Edited by fakeflyer737

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Some people may be claiming that EA is working correctly with ASP3D but they may not be realizing that they are not seeing all the cloud layers that are listed in the METAR. The situation where only one cloud layer is present can't result in any altitude conflicts between layers. Also, a cumulus layer with a base elevation off 3000' AGL won't conflict with a high altitude cirrus layer. 

3 hours ago, LarsA said:

Just tried the new AS version. Highly recommended without EA. In combination with ASCA and HDR on (!) in P3D, it looks fabulous. Play a little bit with the HDR settings and the clouds look beautiful without any known problems of EA. With limited visibility in AS (I have 30 miles), it looks absolutely realistic. No strange cloud patterns visible, no visible objects in haze, smooth, realistic weather transitions, no flickering clouds, no VRAM-problems, etc.. 

Thanks! Taking your advice and say far I like what I see, and it makes me mad that EA was even thought of as something to release to the public in the first place, what a joke LM.

Finally got around to try ASP3D with EA, and gotta say that what I saw looked disastrous. I had hoped that AS would rescue much of the shortcoming of EA, especially with it taking control of those new parameters. Instead it's like looking at a gigantic waffle iron. As much as I hate to say it, I might be switching off EA...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

28 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

Finally got around to try ASP3D with EA, and gotta say that what I saw looked disastrous. I had hoped that AS would rescue much of the shortcoming of EA, especially with it taking control of those new parameters. Instead it's like looking at a gigantic waffle iron. As much as I hate to say it, I might be switching off EA...

At the HiFi Forum Damian stated they are hoping things get better very soon as a coment to a user who also posted about this Grid with a picture😉

So I think WIP and maybe the Hotfix does deliver a small additional surprise

Here is the Link to that post:

https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/you-did-a-great-job-on-v5-1-with-ea-mode-hopefully-lm-gives-you-much-more-controllability.13230/post-59492

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

21 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

At the HiFi Forum Damian stated they are hoping to get rid of this soon 😉

So I think WIP and maybe the Hotfix does deliver a small additional surprise

Here is the Link to that post:

https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/you-did-a-great-job-on-v5-1-with-ea-mode-hopefully-lm-gives-you-much-more-controllability.13230/post-59492

Marcus

I'm happy for you that you seem to have such a great experience with ASP3D + EA, but for me ASP3D seems to ruin any and every cloud depiction with EA. Frankly, without ASP3D I find EA to generally look very nice, better at least than the 'legacy' depiction of clouds. With ASP3D however, things look rather bad for me. The grid was obvious even from below...

EDIT: Well i have to concede a little, because more tests show that things are not as bad as I thought initially. However, the depictions between what EA shows and what non-EA shows can be startlingly different, especially when it concerns thunderstorms. At least for me, ASP3D and EA's interactions can be quite finicky. Not always can I get ASP3D to make any clouds, and typically closing both P3D and AS, and re-starting them simultaneously will fix it.

• Like 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

2 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

I'm happy for you that you seem to have such a great experience with ASP3D + EA, but for me ASP3D seems to ruin any and every cloud depiction with EA. Frankly, without ASP3D I find EA to generally look very nice, better at least than the 'legacy' depiction of clouds. With ASP3D however, things look rather bad for me. The grid was obvious even from below...

EDIT: Well i have to concede a little, because more tests show that things are not as bad as I thought initially. However, the depictions between what EA shows and what non-EA shows can be startlingly different, especially when it concerns thunderstorms. At least for me, ASP3D and EA's interactions can be quite finicky. Not always can I get ASP3D to make any clouds, and typically closing both P3D and AS, and re-starting them simultaneously will fix it.

I agree on you that we are not ready there....their are certainly a lot of things which can be raised in quality and visually optimized...or maybe better, they should start to work on the visuals as soon the platform is stable enough.

My first reaction on EA was: Catastrophic, That is the word I used and opened a thread with this title....But in between it is getting better and better and I must also admit, I have to get used to the differences.

For me 2d clouds are no option as I fly mainly VR. So having volumetric clouds is a real benefit (if done right).

Everyone should have the possibility to decide how the sim can be used to fit their needs. For now LM gives us the decision when it comes to EA on or EA off........Not every platform has that feature.

But personally I do think, that they will turn that "feature" off as soon the truesky implementation has got to a good quality, usable and visual level.

This would be a major step forward and certainly reduces their development work as you don´t have to do certain "code" twice (like the shading for example).

Thanks for your feedback and open minded words!

Marcus 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

22 hours ago, LEFTSEAT said:

I agree, with EA off,  ASP3D and CLOUDART give me a fantastic sky.

Is AS Cloud Art  compatible with P3D V5 or is some work around required to point the installer to the P3D V5 folder?  Missing the cloud textures that I have in V4.5 using REX.

Gary Stewart

52 minutes ago, CW46 said:

Is AS Cloud Art  compatible with P3D V5 or is some work around required to point the installer to the P3D V5 folder?  Missing the cloud textures that I have in V4.5 using REX.

Also wondering this as I turned EA off to go back to the old skies and I am not convinced I am getting any ASCA cloud injections.....they still look default to me.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Can someone post screenshots with what settings to have.  This is all getting confusing.

Flightsim software needs UI design.  Even though I am an engineer but why make things so complicated.  

1) ASP3D settings with EA - Needs P3Dv5.1 settings also

2) ASP3D settings without EA - Needs P3Dv5.1 sttings also

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

14 hours ago, SolRayz said:

I'm confused. Should Disable EA volumetric cloud control be checked, or unchecked?

I am even more confused...LOL...I see only Volumetric Fog.....Where are the clouds?

Virtual Air Canada - Alex Luzajic

14 hours ago, Damian Clark said:

No, there is no single layer limit.  There is some apparent cloud layer conflict issue we are looking into that may be the cause of most or all of these reports.

That is incorrect.  Disable EA volumetric cloud control, when enabled, prevents AS from controlling the volumetricclouds.cfg parameters and allows other modified parameters, all of which affect the visual parameters of clouds.  It does nothing to the number of cloud layers.  Cloud layers are very random and specific in-time conditions influenced and the conflict/overlapping issue is unrelated to this option.

Not in my videos, not in my testing flights, I’m talking about something that I can share for watching. At my side will wait for your next version while.