Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

About social networks

12 hours ago, charliearon said:

Can you imagine the pager going off and having to scout out a pay phone?  😠

Finding a pay phone in Philly that didn't have a missing handset was a chore at times.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yurei said:

@Dominique_K seems like you are getting the answers to your question about the use of social media. It doesn't stray very far from my initial impressions....😉

You may be right indeed  ! A classic case of a thread going adrift anyway, hey 😄 ? What pagers have anything to do with Twitter of FB is a mystery to me ! The weekend will maybe refocus the thread to the topic, who knows ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 11/5/2020 at 5:10 PM, charliearon said:

Can you imagine the pager going off and having to scout out a pay phone?  😠

What is a "pay phone?" Oh, now I remember now. I once had a friend who had figured our a way to open the box and swipe the change when he needed gas for his car or a pack of smokes

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 11/5/2020 at 5:31 AM, yurei said:

@Dominique_K (see what I did there 🙂 ) based on the semantic prejudices in the other thread, apparently  999 of 1000 people here do not consider forums to be social media. This allows them to extrapolate their semantic prejudice to any form of group based electronic communication they don't like.

Heh. Forums are certainly social media, just like BBS and usenet were (are?).  Is usenet still around?  alt.people-wanna-know

I do not have the time, nor inclination to mess with twitter, facebook, reddit, or any of that.  It's all I can do to follow AVSIM, a2a, and maybe a few other fs sites forums.  That's it my man...all my time gone.  I'd rather be flying.

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

6 hours ago, Mace said:

I do not have the time, nor inclination to mess with twitter, facebook, reddit, or any of that.  

I agree it can be time consuming. Selectivity of  subscribed accounts and avoiding to debate with idiots and jerks are paramount not to waste time.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I recall going into the office of our weather flight one morning and my commanding officer had a pager on his belt.  I mentioned it to him and he said, quite proudly, that all the key people and managers at the company he worked for were issued one.  I told him that turned him from am 8/5 employee to a 24/7 employee without a raise in pay.

I was never important enough to have been issued a pager so maybe my response is tinged with a bit of jealousy.

E-mails and forums take up enough of my time.  This forum is the only 'social network' I am registered on.  A few years ago I was also on the Orbx forum but I was banished forever for being a bad boy. 

I have never had a FaceBook account so I guess I have missed out on a lot of 'new' friends.  But when it comes to friends quality beats quantity hands down.

I have an iPhone which I don't really know how to use despite the young ladies at the Sprint Store trying to teach me.  I just use it as a phone although I like to ask Siri what the weather is going to be like today.  And I hate texting.  My fingers are too big for the keyboard.  It takes me forever to type in a response since I have to keep going back and undoing double letters I have typed.  And my hand tremors make it almost impossible.

Besides, I have not yet allowed my iPhone to become a vital organ that has to be connected to me 24/7.

When Betty says my phone is ringing I tell her I'm busy now; if it's important they'll leave me a message.  On the other hand when her phone rings she breaks the world record for the 100 yard dash getting to it.  Then she comes back and asks me what happened on the movie we were watching on TV.

I have a lot of Luddite in me.

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.