Sign in to follow this  
Carts85

5800x/5900x CPU benchmarks coming in for MSFS

10 hours ago, RobJC said:

The only hesitation i have with AMD CPUs right now is the life expectancy of AM4. The AM4 lasted so long, and the next iteration (AM5?) will have a long life as well, most likely, and support DDR5 Memory. Just wondering if i want to invest in the last of the AM4 ecosystem or hold out a little longer for  AM5. I definitely like AMD’s approach to not needing a new MB every CPU gen. Intel sucks in this regard. 

The 5000 are the last CPU's for the AM4. Next gen AMD CPU's will be a whole new socket/chipset. They are not expected until 2022 though.

I'm sitting on a x570 motherboard so with a R5 2600x. I will defiantly be going with a 5000 series processor for my next upgrade. While the 5600 seems to perform well in gaming will it still hold up while running MSFS, Air Manager, Pilot2ATC, NaviGraph Charts, vmsACARS, plus some other background utilities like FUSIPC.

So the next jump is $250 more to the 5800. But at that point I'm only $100 away from four more cores and double the cache.

This might be a buy once cry once moment.

MSFS, NaviGraph Charts & FMS, Pilot2ATC, FsHub
R5 3600X ,RTX 2060S, 32GB, SSD

On 11/5/2020 at 6:02 PM, ca_metal said:

It could be an overkill, actually. Maybe the 5800x + 6800xt combo would be a better option. 

Talking about next year’s possibilities, I wouldn’t be surprised to see new intel CPUs and a Nvidia 3080 Super and a 3080 Ti joining the fight.

This is the pairing I'm going for late next year if a possible 5800xt comes out,my 3800x will do for now,and for the 6800xt I think I'll be pre-ordering it when it goes on presale.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

10 hours ago, ANCRM114 said:

This might be a buy once cry once moment.

I'm inclined to agree on this as I don't plan to upgrade again any time soon so it will be a big expense now but the PC will hopefully last a good few years. The thing with MSFS is there's a lot going on under the hood so having the extra cores may make a bigger difference here than with other games and therefore make it easier to justify the increased price. I believe that the 6800xt is due to be cheaper than the 3080. This may mean that the cost savings on the GPU will offset some of the extra spend on the CPU.

Both the top Amd and Intel  cpu's are very good and which ever one you get will do a good job, I doubt if most people would notice the different performance in game between them and the same goes for the GPU's, just a few fps here and there. 🙂

Edited by Scimiter
more text

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

23 hours ago, Moria15 said:

I'm waiting for a few more days to see what the benefits are of teaming the new CPU's with the new GPU's supposedly available on the 18th.

I will be building a new computer for MSFS2020 over the winter, and have previously been Intel all the way, but am getting slowly drawn towards the all in one solution from AMD of a 5900 and a 6800 or 6800XT

I just have a feeling that since both come from the same company, that they will work together much better than items from multiple companies and possibly use the shared resources better 🙂

Whatever happens, I am not waiting for the next gen Intel..   you could spend your whole life just waiting a few more months for the next big thing 🙂

Graham

It will be interesting to see what a complete AMD solution can deliver with Smart Memory Access. However, I have to say, AMDs track record on drivers and software is not great. There’s enough CTDs with this sim as it is... we don’t need drivers contributing to the problem. I think Nvidia's software team is vastly superior to AMDs. For example, I think it’s very unlikely that an AMD equivalent to DLSS would be near as good.

So I’m sticking with Intel (9700k) and just upgraded to a 3090 based largely on software/driver maturity and not wanting to gamble on that. 

ps. These CPU reviews are way overblown... the differences in games needs to be put in perspective... A few FPS when run at 1080p to take the GPU out of the equation... who games like that?

Wow sold out. Imagine my shock...

Asus X570 TUF WIFI | 5800X3D | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | MSI RTX 4090 | EVGA 1300W | ASUS GT501 TUF | Samsung C49RG90 49" | Oculus Quest 2 | Windows 11 Professional X64

On 11/5/2020 at 7:09 PM, ChaoticBeauty said:

Since you already have a very decent CPU I would recommend prolonging your purchase as much as you can. As with Zen 2, it is expected that chips from later batches will be able to hit boost clocks more consistently and be more stable in general. Also you get to skip any issues that might be fixed with newer BIOS revisions.

As an update to this statement, it seems that even the first batch of Zen 3 CPUs are hitting, and even exceeding their boost clocks consistently, across several or all cores. That does not mean they won't improve as yields become better, but it seems that AMD learned their lesson after the advertised Zen 2 boost clocks. Underpromise and overdeliver.

However, there are also several issues affecting all MSI X570 and B550 boards when the RAM speed is set to 3200MHz or higher, so if you have an MSI motherboard and are planning to get Zen 3, beware. MSI have not responded to this yet, but it is expected that there will be a firmware update that will fix this soon.

18 hours ago, J0nx said:

Wow sold out. Imagine my shock...

At least it appears that they are getting in the hands of gamers, not scalpers. Seeing plenty of people posting their experiences on Reddit, and game benchmarks on YouTube. There are a few videos demonstrating Zen 3 with the simulator already as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxcTRDFivLA

On 11/6/2020 at 8:15 PM, Nuno Pinto said:

Changing my 3700X for the new 5800X and getting a higher 400Mhz clock on all cores made a significant difference in P3D, it's much faster in excess of 10fps in the same situations. MSFS also feels faster but since i don't care about it until proper airplanes are out i didn't spend too much time measuring the differences.

It _IS_ noticeable the IPC speed (plus extra clock). Intel is doomed with their power-hungry toasters.

Wow, that is great news. At the moment I ordered the 5600 X, but I’m still on the fence for the 5800 X. How is yours temperature wise? I  am a bit worried about high temperatures and doing long haul flights (on P3D or XP11, using a 240 AIO).

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/luke-hill/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-zen-3-cpu-review/16/

KitGuru measured 58° for the 5600X  and 78° for 5800X (under load with a 280).

I also watched some YT video mentioning that the 5800 X runs hot.

Looking forward to your results.

Edited by longrangecruise

Regards, Perry

I have a custom watercooling loop, and it stays under 70 degrees when flying P3D. The GPU is well below, around the 48-50 mark. That's celsius.

• Upvote 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

My 5900x runs hot at stock, but check soon for a new utility called "Clock Tuner 2" for Ryzen 5000 by 1usmus. (Exists version 1 but is build for 3000 series).

This utility will test your CPU and will balance it automagically to the lowest voltage without losing performance and being stable. Also supports OC of course.

Back on temps, I was at 79°C-81°C. I managed to reduce voltage and set it to 1.1V, now a Full stress test it gets 70°C 4.3Ghz, GTX 1080 @ 4K. Noctua U12A push/pull.

MSFS runs fine locked at 30fps, settings Medium-High and CPU Temps at 55°C-60°C. Higher resolutions demand less cpu usage and graphics cards are the real bottleneck. The feel is all is more responsive and really smooth.

EDIT: My mobo is MSI B550 and RAM @ 3200MHz, without WHEA errors. 

Edited by zalox
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for sharing! I will have a look at the clock tuner.

I’ll stay with the ordered 5600 X at the moment and see how it goes with my 240 AIO. For this new build I have two motherboard options: Going MATX and having the  possibility to upgrade to a 280 or 360 mm radiator, or using an ATX board with only the option for a 280, but better VRM temps.

I should probably ask this in the builders corner, lol.

Regards, Perry

11 hours ago, longrangecruise said:

Thanks guys for sharing! I will have a look at the clock tuner.

I’ll stay with the ordered 5600 X at the moment and see how it goes with my 240 AIO. For this new build I have two motherboard options: Going MATX and having the  possibility to upgrade to a 280 or 360 mm radiator, or using an ATX board with only the option for a 280, but better VRM temps.

I should probably ask this in the builders corner, lol.

Not sure if it is of interest, but I finally got my dream games machine this week.

Specs...

CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5950x running nominally at 4900Mhz (but can peak to 5100 Mhz under load  I guess I was lucky and got a good chip 🙂 )

GPU AMD Radeon RX6900XT

Motherboard AsusTek Rog Crosshair VIII Hero

Ram  Corsair 32 gig 3600 DDR4

Storage..  2 x Samsung 870 ssd 4TB  & 2 x Seagate Firecuda ssd 1 TB units..  (MSFS is on one of the firecudas)

Cooling,  air on the GPU but an NZXT Kraken X3 pump on the CPU.

Case is a Corsair Carbide 100 silent with all panels on.

I have done no tuning yet  just installed MSFS2020 on the second firecuda and set to ULTRA on a Samsung G7 1440 27" curved monitor.

Temperature monitoring through NZXTcam software.

Idle temps...  CPU 35 degrees  GPU 54 degrees

Under load for MSFS  CPU 41 degrees  GPU 78 degrees  (occaisionally peaks at 81 degrees after about 2 hours flying)

As stated,  no tuning or anything else.. running ultra getting 62 FPS  at Heathrow  and 72 FPS over open countryside.  (although I am now limiting FPS to 60 FPS and have pulled GPU temps down a couple of degrees)  Am going to try setting a limit of 30FPS and see what effect that has next.

Boot-up time for MSFS from desktop to menus  < 1 minute.

Regards

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

25 minutes ago, ANCRM114 said:

I've seen some other reports that put the 5800x above the 5900x and I'm curious if the 8 core on one CCD is sthe sweet spot for MSFS.

I’m enjoying my 5800 swapped from a 3600. Using an arctic liquid freezer ii 360 aio. Certainly runs much hotter but then again it is a maxed out ccd running voltages designed for the 5950 that splits between two ccd’s.

• Like 2

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

Mine runs at 4.7Ghz like i have on my signature, 1.22volts. It's a really good CPU. P3D runs with FPS unlocked, but i have a GSYNC monitor so it's always buttersmooth at 30, 40, 50, or 100fps. The real magic comes from the monitor, it's one of the best upgrades you can do in case you don't have GSYNC/FREESYNC.

• Like 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11