Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Weather - Where did I go wrong?

Please excuse me in advance if this has been reported before.

I decided to take off from Palm Beach, Florida (KPBI) for a flight to Grand Bahama. If you look at the map on the attached screenshot, you will see this should have been an "interesting" flight with difficult weather, clouds and thunderstorms.

SCREENSHOT

I was happy, this was what I was looking for. So I clicked "Fly" and when I arrived in the aircraft for takeoff, the sky was totally blue, shining sun, no cloud, no thunderstorm and no wind...
Why was the weather so different? (I fly in live so with actual weather)

7 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Why was the weather so different? (I fly in live so with actual weather)

Sadly, I'm going to use the gist of another poster's tagline here as it's relevant (And I love it so much)

"They're are 3 things as to why the weather is so different"  Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are" 🙂

He uses it with a perfect landing theme....Always loved it and would steal it from him if he wasn't watching (I'm gonna' tag him here if I can find him)

All joking aside, Weather is one of the "Big Three" that are the biggest headaches now in MSFS...they are (in no particular order)

1. Weather
  2. Avionics
  3. CTDs and other stability issues
  4. No complex airliners
  5. Peripheral compatibility
  6. Control sensitivity problems
  7. Installation issues
  8. Maintaining connection to server issues

(wait....was that more than 3? Hehe...but honestly, Weather is one of the TOP issues for most folks wanting real weather depiction where they fly.)

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

You've just experienced one of the great mysteries of MSFS. Why does the live weather sometimes die? I gave up waiting for Asobo to fix this and bought REX WeatherForce for MSFS. WF may not be perfect, but at least the weather is what one sees IRL.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

You've just experienced one of the great mysteries of MSFS. Why does the live weather sometimes die? I gave up waiting for Asobo to fix this and bought REX WeatherForce for MSFS. WF may not be perfect, but at least the weather is what one sees IRL.

You're right, it's a mystery because I flew in the same area some hours before and it worked perfect, the weather at the start of the flight was exactly what I was seeing on the map. 

Yeah, this is pretty much why I decided to get REX WeatherForce. Like others have said, while it's not perfect, it does provide a pretty accurate depiction of live weather. The difference is pretty significant a lot of the times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

And thats what Asobo and Microsoft wants us to do, buy addons to fix the game, because they have no intention to do so, just wait and see.

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Me too.  REX WF is much more accurate.  But understand in advance that MSFS ATIS is also badly flawed.  So fly with REX WF and ignore most of what you hear from ATIS.  In two GA flights over the past two days, each of more than 2 1/2 hours duration, the REX WF weather was very good, but the MSFS ATIS is screwed up.  At both my departure and destination, ATIS realistically reported the clear skies and pressure level, but ATIS was way off on surface winds, visibility, temp, and dew point.  I double check against current metar reports and cockpit instrument readings (G1000) like TAT, and wind indications (shortly after takeoff).  In previous flights with cloud layers present, REX WF was representative of real weather, but ATIS bore no resemblance to what was there with WF. 

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Did you close out of msfs after your flight with good weather before you started up your flight to the bahamas.? You need to do this before every flight to get real weather to load properly.

System Intel core I9-10900.Asus prime Z490P motherboard, Corsair 32gb ddr4 dram, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD and 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HD. Zotac GE force RTX 2080 Super  750 Watt power supply, Windows 10 Pro, Honeycomb yoke and Bravo,Thrustmaster pedals

11 hours ago, gore54 said:

Did you close out of msfs after your flight with good weather before you started up your flight to the bahamas.? You need to do this before every flight to get real weather to load properly.

I don't think I did. But I flew again the day after, after closing and re-opening MSFS and it worked fine again. I think you are absolutely right about this. 

Thanks. 

It’s a common bug where your 2nd flight doesn’t load live weather, but only sometimes.  You can see this on the world map if the direction and speed when you click on an airport is showing —-/—, best solution is to close sim and reload which is a pain in the word not allowed!

Thomas Derbyshire

Thanks, that's good to know.
As you say, restarting the sim is a pain, it's so long...