Sign in to follow this  
michael1508

USB Devices not identified - from time to time!

I am running a Home Cockpit with 4 PCs. On one of those clients I am using a number of USB devices, basically all joysticks, throttle, rudder and a few input/output cards. In total around 15 devices on different self powererd USB Hubs.

On booting this PC - sometimes -  not all devices are identified. For the last weeks everything was ok. Since a fewa days now, the issue is back. The strange thing is, when I then turn all the PC's off and powering up that specific PC again first, all USB devices are usually detected.

I already got new USB hubs with more Ampere (5a), but it didn't help. Could the issue be related to the PSU of the PC itself? I haven't checked yet, which PSU I've got - it's an older machine. But before opening the pc, I thought, I just ask here, if that could be the root cause at all?

Thanks,

Michael

have you ensured that for each port power management options are off?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I have this issue frequently.  IT seems to come up whenever I lose power to the house.  To fix, best way is unplug them all.  Delete registry entries  MS has a utility https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/usbview.  Shut the machine down.  Boot up clean.  Add them one at a time.   Better yet, here's instructions I see in my browsing history

https://www.wikihow.com/Clear-the-Record-of-USB-Plug-in-Equipment

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

1 hour ago, michael1508 said:

So, the power supply unit can not be the problem?

I think it's unlikely, but I wouldn't totally rule out the power supply.  It's possible that the older power supply isn't handling restarts / wake-from-sleep as well as it should, to all of the usb ports.

Are you aware of the Saitek usb issue?   Even if you don't have any Saitek devices, it might be worth looking into, because your problem sounds very similar.

And on the Win10 power options, make double sure that the usb ports are set to never sleep / high perf or whatever it is.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Reading about the Saitek USB issue was very helpful. My problems were not Saitek related, but I found very useful information about required amper for usb devices. I followed the advice of this thread  Saitek thread- usb hub milliamper  and moved a number of devices from my 10 port hub to an additional hub. Seems it's working now! 

I also downloaded the USB Deview tool and can now check the amper use for each device. Also great tipp!

Question on USB Deview: I found several devices, which have been registered under multiple usb ports. So several "white" (inactive) entries and one showing "green" connection. Can I deinstall the white entries for this device without interfering with the remaining "green" one? Or better only disable these entries?

Thanks a lot for your help, guys!!!

Still facing issues. It looked, like moving some of the devices to another USB hub solved it.

But still when I boot my PC, randomly several usb devices are either not identified (not listed in Device Manager), or shown as failed => not enough system resources (code 10)

Should I deplug and deinstall all registered USB entries, using the USB Deview tool and start all over???

What motherboard are you running?

Rhett

After another 2 weeks of monitoring I am confident, that I got it finally solved.

As recommended, I have unplugged all devices, deleted all usb registry entries and started from scratch, plugging in one usb device after another.

I used USB Tree Viewer, which helped me to see, which port is really used. I found it much better then USBDeview, because I saw, that for one device multiple entries are made. In USB Deview I couldn't figure out, what entries belong together and which hardware port they belong to.. I also tried to connect USB 2.0 to 2.0 ports and 3.0 devices to 3.0 ports. - as far as possible.

However, since then, all devices always showed up without any failures.

Thanks for your tipps and support!

• Like 1

Here's an update ... and guess what: it's messed up again! But now I believe, I know the root cause

After doing the clean configuration a few weeks ago everything was running stable. I had to move 1 device from one usb hub to another one day. But other than that, no issues anymore.

Now this week I replaced the computer. I got one on ebay with a stronger CPU. Learning from the previous problems I have done a clean configuration again. With a fresh Windows installation I plugged in one USB device after another, checking the USB Tree Viewer tool on every step. However several devices are now showing hat they do not have enough system resources! It already started with the 3rd device I plugged into one of my hubs. The hub has it's own power, the device is supposed to use 100mA (not that much).

So It looks like, that besides using well powered usb hubs also the power supply unit of the computer itself plays an essential role, when you want to use several usb devices.

It's so frustrating. I have to restart again....probably will have to get another pc: the one I now got is a HP Elitedesk 800 G1. After googling a bit I now found out, that this type of PC is good for standard office work but not for any gambling. The PSU is very weak and does not even have a power cable for graphics cards. So I believe, it is also too weak for my several usb devices. Even the extra USB PCI card, I bought, does not help.

Learning: Make sure, your power supply is sufficient!

On 1/12/2021 at 5:58 PM, michael1508 said:

Here's an update ... and guess what: it's messed up again! But now I believe, I know the root cause

After doing the clean configuration a few weeks ago everything was running stable. I had to move 1 device from one usb hub to another one day. But other than that, no issues anymore.

Now this week I replaced the computer. I got one on ebay with a stronger CPU. Learning from the previous problems I have done a clean configuration again. With a fresh Windows installation I plugged in one USB device after another, checking the USB Tree Viewer tool on every step. However several devices are now showing hat they do not have enough system resources! It already started with the 3rd device I plugged into one of my hubs. The hub has it's own power, the device is supposed to use 100mA (not that much).

So It looks like, that besides using well powered usb hubs also the power supply unit of the computer itself plays an essential role, when you want to use several usb devices.

It's so frustrating. I have to restart again....probably will have to get another pc: the one I now got is a HP Elitedesk 800 G1. After googling a bit I now found out, that this type of PC is good for standard office work but not for any gambling. The PSU is very weak and does not even have a power cable for graphics cards. So I believe, it is also too weak for my several usb devices. Even the extra USB PCI card, I bought, does not help.

Learning: Make sure, your power supply is sufficient!

Well, I hope you find a new PC that IS good for gambling.

Speaking of usb hubs, I would guess that they are not all the same.  In your research, did you come across any specs about usb hubs that might be useful for us FS-types?  (I ask because I have a lot of usb devices and am at my limit on the PC pretty much).

Rhett