Sign in to follow this  
YoYo

Reviews / infos about B.314 of PILOT's

Some asked about reviews of B.314, Now I think its too early to write whole review. Model was released only on PILOT's store for his registered customers only. If you are registered you can check website of PILOTS, sign in and check that you see the possibility to add model to basket (new icon will appear in product page of Clipper).

Its not beta stage also. Model was out as full release but this stage will allow the model to be further improved. Finally model will be available in other e-stores too (like Simmarket, PC Aviator, ORBX? I think too...) but on PILOTs store you will see better price in this stage (for now).

Its not Ctrl+E model! Personally I prefer this kind of approach exactly. If you like this too and great legendary flying boats - this model will be for you. The model has many systems made and you must use it by the book and checklist. To check it you can download manulas of PILOT's Clipper before to buy - they are in "Download" section of B.314 on PILOTS website. More info:

MAIN FEATURES
      .) For Prepar3D v4.5 and v5.x
      .) Study level concept, below are some of the many and unique features
      .) Complete Virtual Cockpit featuring accurately simulated Navigation and Radio Room
      .) Sperry Type A Gyropilot
      .) Authentic and realistic 2D-gauges to facilitate realistic engine startup procedure
      .) Prototypes included (Single-Fin, Twin-Fin)
      .) Custom Sound Package by ArezOne-Aviation Soundstudios
      .) Authentic colour matching and simulated original materials
      .) Mooring lights and lines
      .) Simulated Shore Power when the B314 is moored
      .) 4k Textures
      .) Comprehensive manuals about aircraft history, functions and Gyropilot
      .) Navigation aids to feed the Gyropilot for transocean navigation
      .) Just to name a few. Many more!
      .) Get the Manual and Documentation right here!

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
      .) Prepar3D v4.5 (HF3 recommended) and/or v5.x (always latest version recommended)
      .) Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10 (64-bit)
      .) CPU – Intel i5 2.8 GHz / AMD (Intel i7 or Higher Recommended)
      .) 8 GB RAM (System Memory) / more Memory Highly Recommended)
      .) 4 GB VRAM (Video Memory / 8+ GB Highly Recommended)
      .) Mouse with Scroll Wheel (2D panels)
      .) Active Internet connection

Link for PILOTS product page: https://www.pilots.shop/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=9c96eb9a-0097-4083-be89-64f534a61a6e&pageid=92db6374-9ccb-4459-9de3-3fc455657646

For me FPS are good too. I have fps between 55-90+ (it depends where), most of the flight you will be over sea and oceans so expect max of fps ;).

At the current stage, I highly recommend the model, there are some improvements, but these are on the way (improvments of Sperry auto pilot, some systems, user VC cold and dark start, 3D shape of fuselage).

Edited by YoYo
  • Like 1

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

Does the external windshield have glass shine and depth to it? It sort of look like the pilots are sitting out in the open.

Edited by Arklight1

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

9 hours ago, Arklight1 said:

Does the external windshield have glass shine and depth to it? It sort of look like the pilots are sitting out in the open.

It has. From outsite maybe they are not very visible (see screnshots in ths corner) but they are. Its cleaner version. From interior they are more visible (dirts in corners). Perhaps for mod I'll do it with some of more scratches. Just Im waiting for the patch for Clipper and for P3Dv5.1 HT1.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

7 hours ago, YoYo said:

It has. From outsite maybe they are not very visible (see screnshots in ths corner) but they are. Its cleaner version. From interior they are more visible (dirts in corners). Perhaps for mod I'll do it with some of more scratches. Just Im waiting for the patch for Clipper and for P3Dv5.1 HT1.

Ah. Ok. Any way to increase the shine from outside?

Ark

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Just now, Arklight1 said:

Ah. Ok. Any way to increase the shine from outside?

Good shine outside is hard coded as I suppose.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

3 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Good shine outside is hard coded as I suppose.

Ok thanks, Yoyo! 

Ark

Great Post @YoYo 

I hope you or Pilot can make a very nice and complex tutorial for a flight with this bird like PMDG does with their products.

In the documentation zip, I saw no tutorials just a Startup Cheat Sheet.

Edited by Skywolf
  • Upvote 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Man, I really want this add-on, but at 70 Euro I feel like they REALLY dropped the ball on the price. 

Ark

Having bought this on the day it was released it was an aircraft I was very much looking forward to adding to my collection of vintage models. At 70 Euro's I was also expecting it to be a decent study level aircraft up there with the likes of A2A, properly finished with comprehensive documentation. Having had it now for a few weeks I have to say I am rather disapointed with the initial release. I fully except I may be doing something wrong ( and proberbly am) of course but here are my findings so far.

First I'm have trouble consistantly starting the engines from the VC. I've had slightly better luck from the 2D panels but by no means successful every time. In my view the only reliable method so far is to load one of the supplied scenarios with engines running. Also now and again the aircraft is loaded with the shore wheel dolly still in place and the tractor connected. Can't find a way of disconnecting it. Impossible to take off because of the drag created by the wheels. I like the way the parking break deploys the two mooring bouys, however the aircraft drifts dispite the bouys out. I line up next to a jetty to load passengers but after a while, say 10 to 15 minutes the aircraft drifts away and turns 180 degrees and runs aground. Next is the refueling. When I go to top up the main tanks using the lower ones as soon as I put the pumps on what's left in the main tanks suddenly disapear, like instanly. No fuel, engines die. Talking about the engines despite leaning out the mixture at various times into a flight all four engines will roll back and quit. Impossible to restart in flight or on the ground after forced landing. Have to restart the sim to get control back. Next is the Sperry. After carefully following the correct proceedure for setting this up as soon as it's engaged the aircraft viers off course and dives for the ground, again impossible to use, left with no option but to hand fly a 17 hour ocean crossing, not that I ever got anywhere near that because the engines would always quit within a couple of hours of starting. I know how to use a sperry, the one in my A2A Connie works just fine as expected. Next is the radio's, despite being right next to a broadcasting NDB neither receiver will pick up the signal. tried several different NDB's with the same result. I guess the transmitters are there just for show and thats fine but despite me turning the power switches off the damm morse code continues to transmit and is doing my head in. Please for the love of .... kill the morse code. It may be of course that the receivers are only programmed to receive a signal from weathership transmitters and not the normal land based NDB's, but as the land and ship based NDB's transmit the same signal albeit on different frequencies I don't see why they should be.  So to the flaps. Impossible to control from the VC, need to open the 2D panel to get them to operate, then you have to keep the mouse click on to operate the motor. Takes more than a minute to lower or raise them, might be correct of course but it's a long time in the sim on a 2D panel when your approaching a critical stage of flight. Also on the throttle panel non of the trim controls seem to work. Aileron, elevator and rudder trims do nothing, I can dial them to their extreams and nothing happens. The only trim I have is through my Warthog hat switch and FSUIPC. Staying with the throttle console the mixture leaver is also inop. Pull it to cut off and yes you've guess it nothing happens. Look at the FE panel and all four mixture leavers remain where they were. At this point I gave up so there may be other nasties waiting to be discovered.

I like the 3d modeling and textures but sadly I can't fly this right now. If someone has managed to master it can they please put up a you tube video to help the rest of us incompetents who are struggling. A comment from the developers would also be useful as to where I am going wrong.

Regards

Ian

• Upvote 2

I definitely echo all of Ian's thoughts on this, both he and I have chatted as we have been trying to learn this aircraft and I've had all the same issues that he does above. For this price point a BIG update patch is needed, also a custom fuel and payload manager for this pricepoint I would say is nessesary for these long ocean trip that we plan. It's not rocket science.

• Upvote 2

Thank you @IanFisher and @Mantock for buying this and sharing your thoughts.

Looking forward on seeing Pilot's support response and patch updates before I contemplate on getting this product.

• Upvote 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I would agree that the airplane is not really a final release, it is more like a beta state. In addition to some points raised above, there are some very blurry textures in the flight engineer's VC room, and some switches don't work consistently. For instance, the "plane heat" switch seems only to work in the VC, not in the 2D panel. Also, the water spray during takeoff is sometimes climbing together with the airplane during the entire flight, and I have encountered CTDs when I switch form interior to exterior view.

Having said that, I still am glad I bought the airplane. It opened up a new flight sim world for me about a time that only lasted a few years and is long gone. I am really fascinated by the history of this airplane or the navigational challenges they faced in the 1930s, and the documentation that comes with the model provides a lot of information about this.

I also beg to differ on a few points that Ian raised above:

- Starting the engines: it was a steep learning curve, but I now can start them reliably. I start with engine 2 so that I have power, since the battery seems to die very quickly. The procedure is as follows:

1. Switch on all tanks in the standard configuration
  2. Switch on battery and main mag switch
  3. Mixtures to full
  4. Throttle levers a little bit open
  5. Engine 2 mags on both
  6. Open the 2D panel of the flight engineer (FE) and prime engine 2
  7. Start the manual FE fuel pump
  8. In the pilot's VC, push the start button for engine 2 and the boost button
  9. FE decreases the rpm for engine 2. If you don't do that, the engine will turn but not fire up.
  10. Repeat for 3 (also for power, and it keeps the airplane's nose in the original direction), then 1 and 4.  

- Radio operations: I have also problems detecting any NDBs right now, but I did pick up a signal at least once. It was either in the Lisbon cold and dark scenario, or the Botwood with running engines. Maybe there is some switch or electric power that needs to be set, I am still investigating. But yes, PLEASE provide a way to mute the morse code.

I haven't looked into the tank problems or the Sperry yet, but that will come soon.

Peter 

Skywolf

The developers of this aircraft have reached out to me, but as it was a private conversation I don't feel it would be right to reveal that information. I'm sure if they wish to they'll be along with a public statement on this forum.

IanFisher's list is a pretty-much complete listing of the reported bugs. I have already killed more than half of them (and a few other minor ones that have not been reported). As we genuinely believed the project to be complete, I am the only developer left and so everything reported (textures, fx, code, you name it) ends up on my fixit list. Consequently I can't give you a 'fixed-release' time because I don't want another set of problems like these.

If you find anything that you think might be a bug, please report it on this forum but read the other posts to make sure it hasn't already been reported. I will answer when I have time.

I am really quite upset that the Clipper did get released before it was really ready and can only apologise for that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, dragonflightdesign said:

IanFisher's list is a pretty-much complete listing of the reported bugs. I have already killed more than half of them (and a few other minor ones that have not been reported). As we genuinely believed the project to be complete, I am the only developer left and so everything reported (textures, fx, code, you name it) ends up on my fixit list. Consequently I can't give you a 'fixed-release' time because I don't want another set of problems like these.

If you find anything that you think might be a bug, please report it on this forum but read the other posts to make sure it hasn't already been reported. I will answer when I have time.

I am really quite upset that the Clipper did get released before it was really ready and can only apologise for that.

Thank you for your hard work, I know bug squashing is never a fun thing to do!