Sign in to follow this  
Bob Scott

P3D V5.1 Status after 10 days

Rather than have folks wade through 23 pages of history in the initial release thread to see what's up with v5.1, let's recap and proceed in a new thread.

As I understand it, as of today (7 Nov 2020):

This point update really needs you to install the content and scenery modules in addition to the client module.  Though content/scenery are listed as optional, not installing them may cause issues or result in not having some of the fixes LM has made (e.g. scaleform windows used by ATC/Simconnect that caused crashes in v5.0 were replaced by HTML5 windows in the content module).

ucrtbase.dll crashes were an early unhappy phenomena and found to be caused by changes to simobject removal calls, often triggered by SODE jetways--a simple prepar3d.cfg setting is available as a workaround (and I would recommend it be standard for most users right now)--see post on the topic in our P3D tips and tricks forum.

ActiveSky for P3D has a beta version now working with v5.1, after initially having big problems with the 5.1 point release.  LM says a hotfix is coming to address the bug that caused the problem, but until then ASP3D appears to be functional with the workaround used in ASP3D beta version 7613.

Enhanced Atmospherics (EA) has issues with some objects from third-party scenery devs showing through cloud/fog layers, and excessive orange tinting around sunrise/sunset.  Some of the issues seen in v5 are still there in v5.1.  In general, there's a lot of angst still over the state of EA in this point release.  There's a lot more detail for those that want to dig through the initial release thread here:

PMDG, FlightSimLabs, Majestic Q400 add-ons that are already officially compatible with v5 are reported to work in v5.1, although the status of VC lighting issues in them is still unclear (a lot of general complaints about excessively dark VC lighting in v5.1).

Leonardo MD-80s not yet v5.1 compatible--their website says they are waiting for LM hotfix.

Status of other aircraft add-ons unclear.

Flight1 GTNs not compatible yet, RealityXP Garmins are.

That's what I have so far in my notes...feel free to update/add to the list.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 7

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

thanks for the new thread on this.  I intend to take the plunge from V5 HF2 once the maddog is updated.  

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Personally, I'll wait until a few days after the hotfix has dropped and fly 5.0 HF2 in the meantime. I want to see first what the hotfix fixes, what needs to be updated again and what might go belly up with the hotfix.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

@w6kdeverything you wrote can be signed. Very good assumption. I updated 2 days ago, because i was waiting for AS to have it least for non-ea mode. All my add-ons have no issues with 5.1 and behave as in 5.0. If this point update can give us more stability in Terms of those anoying CTD like vcruntime.dll it´s worth to Upgrade.

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

Release version installed and done long hauls with PMDG, ActiveSky, FFTF, and payware scenery. Running smooth, no crashes so far. Envshade on, no HDR, running, Monitor at 30Hz and fps matching it. In clear conditions a thin fog layer is always present and with EA on it gets even worse. Hope they fix t his on next update.

VC's with HDR on is almost pitch black..

This is because 3rd party content needs to be updated to cater for the new lighting environment. 

You cannot have a simulator with a new light engine and spec it to continue to work with all add-on's without any update.. such thing can only be achieved via which-crafting and Sorcering.. not via source code.

😂 thanks simbol.

can’t you give those idiots over at qualitywings at shout and tell them this.

as I read in their forums how someone stated the same issue with the 787. And  their reply from qw was that the aircraft in real life is the same it  is actually darker so it’s normal.

mike

5.1 has been pretty unstable for me with existing ad-odds. I’ve had CTD panning around with ezca 3.1.0.40 at FSDT KORD and Flightbeam KSFO, problems with GSX requiring continuous restarts. I understand that with each add-on there’s another unknown variable added in terms of identifying the source of the crash, but I can only say prior to 5.1 with HF2 I had a relatively stable sim in terms of lack of random CTD. I have added the line to the cfg that was supposed to address the SODE issues, so I’m not sure what the source of the issues are. 

This is on top of issues with EA and HDR that have already been extensively documented. I’m not going to put LM on blast as others have done; in no small part the widely variable ways to modify the sim means an almost infinite number of possible combinations of modifications for which it would be virtually impossible to test prior to release “in the wild,” but that said, it has been a bumpy and frustrating experience thus far for me. 

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

11 minutes ago, IUBrian said:

5.1 has been pretty unstable for me with existing ad-odds. I’ve had CTD panning around with ezca 3.1.0.40 at FSDT KORD and Flightbeam KSFO, problems with GSX requiring continuous restarts. I understand that with each add-on there’s another unknown variable added in terms of identifying the source of the crash, but I can only say prior to 5.1 with HF2 I had a relatively stable sim in terms of lack of random CTD. I have added the line to the cfg that was supposed to address the SODE issues, so I’m not sure what the source of the issues are. 

This is on top of issues with EA and HDR that have already been extensively documented. I’m not going to put LM on blast as others have done; in no small part the widely variable ways to modify the sim means an almost infinite number of possible combinations of modifications for which it would be virtually impossible to test prior to release “in the wild,” but that said, it has been a bumpy and frustrating experience thus far for me. 

Brian - Have you tried this fix for the CTD?  It fixed the CTD's for me and was recommended by LM as a temp fix.  Just add it to the 'SIM' section of your P3D.cfg:

[SIM]

AdaptiveSimGroupEnable=False

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Edited by IUBrian
Duplicate post

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Thanks, yes I did add that line, was hoping it would be the cure all, but alas it was not 

Brian Johnson

This was very helpful thanks!  I initially just did a client update, but after seeing this have done the content as well, and the sim is much smoother.  I have yet to do the scenery update, but I suggest every follow these tips and at least do the client and content.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Sorry, what do we need HF for v5.1 to fix?  Is it just compatibility with AS?

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

1 hour ago, Dreamflight767 said:

Sorry, what do we need HF for v5.1 to fix?  Is it just compatibility with AS?

And the txt box issue, if you use the FSL and want the sticky warnings on.  

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

Hopefully they fix the dark side of the plane. Almost looks like P3d used to before pbr or tomatoshade 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next