Sign in to follow this  
jymp

FSX aircraft to MSFS ?

Wasn't it mentioned early on by Microsoft/Asobo we would have the ability to move our FSX aircraft into MSFS, what happened with that ?

11 hours ago, jymp said:

Wasn't it mentioned early on by Microsoft/Asobo we would have the ability to move our FSX aircraft into MSFS, what happened with that ?

What was said is that as and when the SDK is fully developed that there would be conversion routines available that allowed some aspects of FSX aircraft to be imported, but this may well result in a loss of instrumentsas there are handled completely differently in MSFS2020.  

Many FSX aircraft have been converted so far to either a greater or lesser extent, and some of these are now starting to appear on the freeware sites.  (theres an Airbus 321, a 747 and the CRJ available, but they are more fun for a change aircraft rather than accurate flying examples)

There are a number of issues though.. one is copyright..  just because an aircraft is freeware doesn't mean the license for that aircraft allows it to be imported into MSFS...  additionally, liveries for that aircraft may have similar issues of reserved copyright.

Now.. if you have an FSX aircraft, it is possible for you to use that..  providing you do not distribute it or give others files to allow them to do similar.. and whilst there was a huge thread in the early days about this on the official forums, it has since been removed due to copyright issues and the number of people breaching copyright.

The whole legacy flight model in MSFS2020 is to allow converted aircraft to fly more easily...  obviously, any aircraft designed from the ground up for MSFS2020 should never use legacy flight model for that very reason.

I know it is possible, because for personal use, I have converted the old FSX Ultralight to work in MSFS2020 even though all the gauges are dead on it..  for the microlight, that hardly matters...    but in summary..

1) Yes they said it would be at least partially possible

2) It is, but it takes a lot of work

3)  It is getting easier, each time the tools are updated and the SDK is updated

4)  be careful with copyright.

Hope this helps

Just for fun.....

0JM1eko.jpg

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

yeah pretty much what Moria15 said.

It was never promised that an end user could just click a button and convert all their old payware and freeware into fully functional FS2020 aircraft.

(even a method someone without SDK skills could use to do a relatively straight forward "one click"  port to a flyable external model seems a big stretch at present) 

That said people are already converting FSX aircraft (though often to external view only)  and if you want to learn the SDK you can do it, just do not go around uploading someone else's copyright work to a public download site without permission.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

3 hours ago, Moria15 said:

What was said is that as and when the SDK is fully developed that there would be conversion routines available that allowed some aspects of FSX aircraft to be imported, but this may well result in a loss of instrumentsas there are handled completely differently in MSFS2020.  

Many FSX aircraft have been converted so far to either a greater or lesser extent, and some of these are now starting to appear on the freeware sites.  (theres an Airbus 321, a 747 and the CRJ available, but they are more fun for a change aircraft rather than accurate flying examples)

There are a number of issues though.. one is copyright..  just because an aircraft is freeware doesn't mean the license for that aircraft allows it to be imported into MSFS...  additionally, liveries for that aircraft may have similar issues of reserved copyright.

Now.. if you have an FSX aircraft, it is possible for you to use that..  providing you do not distribute it or give others files to allow them to do similar.. and whilst there was a huge thread in the early days about this on the official forums, it has since been removed due to copyright issues and the number of people breaching copyright.

The whole legacy flight model in MSFS2020 is to allow converted aircraft to fly more easily...  obviously, any aircraft designed from the ground up for MSFS2020 should never use legacy flight model for that very reason.

I know it is possible, because for personal use, I have converted the old FSX Ultralight to work in MSFS2020 even though all the gauges are dead on it..  for the microlight, that hardly matters...    but in summary..

1) Yes they said it would be at least partially possible

2) It is, but it takes a lot of work

3)  It is getting easier, each time the tools are updated and the SDK is updated

4)  be careful with copyright.

Hope this helps

Just for fun.....

0JM1eko.jpg

Graham, thanks for the intelligent reply, that's the answer I was looking for, I do miss the addon aircraft though, payware and freeware, hopefully they'll come round one way or the other eventually.

9 hours ago, Moria15 said:

0JM1eko.jpg

Which airport is that please?

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

9 hours ago, Moria15 said:

it takes a lot of work

What work was that, mostly, please?

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

1 hour ago, dilore said:

What work was that, mostly, please?

getting the sdk and the conversion tools set up...  resetting the balance of the aircraft, changing the textures to match the high quality format we now have and then re-assembling the aircraft under the new SDK and manually checking all the config files etc..  and as I say.. that was without trying to do a cockpit or gauges 🙂

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

Which airport is that please?

Cant remember but somewhere in the depths of Scotland i think 🙂

Graham

• Like 1

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

21 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

getting the sdk and the conversion tools set up...  resetting the balance of the aircraft

Do you have to use the sdk/conversion tools? Can't you just drop it in the simobjects folder and use the legacy flight model?

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

Well....it CAN be a LOT easier than that...

<Heresy mode>
I really only fly FSX imports, apart from 1 payware native and 1 beta freeware native, because
a, I have no interest in the multitude of modern identikit EFIS/FMS/Garmin or whatever included aircraft
b, I'm a little weird

Instead I fly gliders, antique singles and biplanes, WW2 transports, piston and early-jet warbirds and 70's transports
</Heresy mode>
There is a free converter that does most of the work for you, which can be as little as 5 minutes if you chose the right aircraft.
FSX-native props with 3D gauges work well straight 'out of the box' - there might be some texture conversion required, which the converter can mostly do. XML gauges CAN be converted but that is a LOT of work and for most of my planes it just means the radios don't display but there can be unsightly artifacts.

The converter also has a second-level of conversion which can be needed for some models and really requires supporting tools, but try the simple level first.

Currently mouse interactions are broken but I expect them to be fxed 'next patch', conversely livery selection works fine.

The converter is at https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/117

Some of my conversions can be seen on my Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-DCDhNQcnSGATH3Ch7n_Gw/
mostly gliding but lately a couple of jets, including the Razbam Harrier which is mostly for entertainment.

You CAN just drop the simobject files into the community folder and use a python script to build the descriptive JSON file, but the converter is easier,

Cheers
Keith

Edited by keithb77
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, dilore said:

Do you have to use the sdk/conversion tools? Can't you just drop it in the simobjects folder and use the legacy flight model?

see the post above, but don't be surprised if you get some CTD's whilst attempting it 🙂

Graham

Edited by Moria15

14 minutes ago, keithb77 said:

Well....it CAN be a LOT easier than that...

<Heresy mode>
I really only fly FSX imports, apart from 1 payware native and 1 beta freeware native, because
a, I have no interest in the multitude of modern identikit EFIS/FMS/Garmin or whatever included aircraft
b, I'm a little weird

Instead I fly gliders, antique singles and biplanes, WW2 transports, piston and early-jet warbirds and 70's transports
</Heresy mode>
There is a free converter that does most of the work for you, which can be as little as 5 minutes if you chose the right aircraft.
FSX-native props with 3D gauges work well straight 'out of the box' - there might be some texture conversion required, which the converter can mostly do. XML gauges CAN be converted but that is a LOT of work and for most of my planes it just means the radios don't display but there can be unsightly artifacts.

The converter also has a second-level of conversion which can be needed for some models and really requires supporting tools, but try the simple level first.

Currently mouse interactions are broken but I expect them to be fxed 'next patch', conversely livery selection works fine.

The converter is at https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/117

Some of my conversions can be seen on my Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-DCDhNQcnSGATH3Ch7n_Gw/
mostly gliding but lately a couple of jets, including the Razbam Harrier which is mostly for entertainment.

You CAN just drop the simobject files into the community folder and use a python script to build the descriptive JSON file, but the converter is easier,

Cheers
Keith

AS I said,  yes it's getting easier release by release..  I just looked at my screenshot and realised that most of my experience came when the sim was version 1.7 so a few releases ago now..  but hopefully, one day, it will be easier..  however.. I stick by the copyright warnings about all of this 🙂

Graham

For sure, don't upload anything converted - it's all for personal use only, freeware and payware.