Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Onset of poor performance w/ ample CPU/GPU headroom?

It's happened a couple of times now when I am flying southwest out of EDDM in some gorgeous Bavarian scenery when VRAM might be hovering around 6Gb, CPU 50% utilization, GPU 70% then rather steadily I start seeing frame rates drop from the vsync'd 30 down to 8fps, 12fps, 5fps and back up to 27 etc, and it doesn't want to recover.  I saved this flight, restarted MSFS and loaded the flight, and all was well for maybe 2 minutes, then the same behavior ensued.  I tested my internet bandwidth and it was around 180mbps so no issues w/ bandwidth per se.  Is this the MS server and just can't keep up presumably?  It's not happened much before but has on occasion.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I have that as well, dropping fps for a few seconds down to 10 - 15 fps but then normalising again. The frame drops correspond to the task manager performance tab. I see a drop here down to a few kbps but Ookla says constant 240mbps so all ok on this end. I think we can blame the MS server. They ask for 50mbps, I've never seen more than 30mbps - very rarely though. Fingers crossed for improvement.

Mick

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 TI, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

Maybe influenced by higher daytime traffic during weekends as the only time this has happened for me is on a weekend day.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I have a similar problem flying over Melbourne city centre but as soon as I pass the centre all is good again

I’ve also seen this happen after spending time setting up a flight plan before take off,  my FPS went from 50 down to 15. When I looked at my resource monitor I noticed that 99% of my 32gig of ram was been used; it usually sits around 70% max. The ram was only released after I exited the closed the game! 

15 hours ago, Stona said:

I have a similar problem flying over Melbourne city centre but as soon as I pass the centre all is good again

I’ve also seen this happen after spending time setting up a flight plan before take off,  my FPS went from 50 down to 15. When I looked at my resource monitor I noticed that 99% of my 32gig of ram was been used; it usually sits around 70% max. The ram was only released after I exited the closed the game! 

You must have had some other RAM intensive program open?  I never see more than 17Gb so far.

Noel

I think this is the same issue people are reporting in the Los Angeles area. 

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

I wonder if it's server growing pains, and wonder even more if they can keep up!  I did report it on zendesk because of the oddity of it, having plenty of CPU/RAM/GPU/VRAM headroom.  It will be interesting to see what they have to say, if they do.

Noel

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I wonder if it's server growing pains, and wonder even more if they can keep up!  I did report it on zendesk because of the oddity of it, having plenty of CPU/RAM/GPU/VRAM headroom.  It will be interesting to see what they have to say, if they do.

The Los Angeles problem I've been experiencing occurs even when offline... not saying we're having the same problem though. If you're problem is repeatable from your saved flight, try doing it offline.

Edited by odourboy
  • Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)