Sign in to follow this  
wacopolumbo747

Dim Landing/Taxi Lights in P3DV5

Hi Everyone,

I love the PC-12 (with everyone's mods) and have been building hours in it.  One thing I have noticed is the dim landing and taxi lights in P3DV5.  By comparison, my A2A aircraft have fantastic landing and taxi lights.  Is there a mod or fix for this in P3DV5?

Thanks in advance!

-Jody

Regards,

Jody Pombrio

PMDG 737NG // PMDG 747 QOTSII // PMDG 777 // Level-D 767 // FS2Crew 747 QOTSII // FS2Crew Level-D 767//

Hi Jody,

If you use shock wave lights here is a copy of the config I use. I am currently using FSX so don't know if works in anything else.

A/C Config.

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.0 = 9,  7.00, 0.00, 1.80, fx_vclightcarpcdvc,
light.1 = 10,   -0.30, 0.00, 1.50, fx_vclightcarpcd,
light.2 = 10,   -2.40, 0.00, 1.50, fx_vclightcarpcd,
light.3 = 10,   -7.60, 0.00, 1.50, fx_vclightcarpcd,
light.4 = 3, 0.62, -24.999, 0.32, Fx_shockwave_navred
light.5 = 3, 0.70, 25.4987, 0.42, Fx_shockwave_navgre
light.6 = 6, 11.8, 0, -1.13, fx_shockwave_landing_light_narrow
light.7 = 5, 1.9, -16.25, -1.5, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow // Shockwave light
light.8 = 5, 1.9, 16.25, -1.5, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_narrow //

Then put in the panel config.

gaugeXX=shockwave_lights!SW Lights,1,1,1,1 //shockwave light

hope works for you

Dick

Hi Dick,

Thanks, but no Skockwave lights in P3d.

-Jody

Regards,

Jody Pombrio

PMDG 737NG // PMDG 747 QOTSII // PMDG 777 // Level-D 767 // FS2Crew 747 QOTSII // FS2Crew Level-D 767//

I'm also looking to replace the effects due to "dimness". But this is what I see in aircraft.cfg:

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.0 = 9,  7.00, 0.00, 1.80, fx_vclightcarpcdvc,
light.1 = 10,   -0.30, 0.00, 1.50, fx_vclightcarpcd,
light.2 = 10,   -2.40, 0.00, 1.50, fx_vclightcarpcd,
light.3 = 10,   -7.60, 0.00, 1.50, fx_vclightcarpcd,

So, 4 lights defined, not 9. Can anyone confirm this?

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

d.tsakiris,

Backup a/c config file and then replace shock wave lights into config

Thanks, I'll try that - although I will have to substitute the Shockwave effects with defaults.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

my lights for PC12:

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing, 6=taxi, 8=wing
light.0 = 9,  7.00, 0.00, 1.80, fx_vclightcarpcdvc,
light.1 = 10,   -0.30, 0.00, 1.50, fx_vclightcarpcd,
light.2 = 10,   -2.40, 0.00, 1.50, fx_vclightcarpcd,
light.3 = 10,   -7.60, 0.00, 1.50, fx_vclightcarpcd,
light.4 = 5, 3.5, -16.5, -1, fx_c130_landing // left wing 1
light.6 = 5, 5, -7.5, -2, fx_c130_landing // left wing 2
light.7 = 5, 3.5, 16.5, -1,fx_c130_landing // right wing 1
light.5 = 5, 5, 7.5, -2, fx_c130_landing // right wing 2
light.8 = 6, 20, 0, 0, fx_c130_landing // taxi
light.9 = 8, 0, -16, 12, fx_c130_edge2 // wing L
light.10 = 8, 0, 16, 12, fx_c130_edge2 // wing R
light.11 = 3, 0.78, -24.75, 0.35, fx_c130_nav_red //
light.12 = 3, 0.66, 25.75, 0.49, fx_c130_nav_gre //

Prepare3Dv5 / ASUS Prime Z390A / I9 9900K @ 4.8 GHz / GSkill 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHZ CL15 @ 3400 MHz / RTX4070TI / Windows 10 Home / Monitor Philips 436M6VBPAB / Force Feedback Yoke / Thrustmaster PTR rudder pedals

MaSi,  Do these entries illuminate the runway outside the cockpit?  I contacted Carenado to see what they had to say.  Sent a YouTube per their instructions showing problems.  Answer I got back was it appears you made modification so do clear install and that should take care of it. It did not.

I sent this to Carenado to see if there was any more suggestions:

" I picked aircraft I had done a clear load, but not really flown to see if there was a problem with the lights. I reinstalled the EMB 120 and the SD330. The only adds I did was setup the GTN750 with your install and add the 750 into the instrument panel.

FYI I have installed in P3D the Twin Otter from Aerosoft Twin Otter. I tried the landing lights and Taxi lights on this aircraft and they actually work better than default aircraft. I checked the Effects directory and It appears and Careando lighting effects are in there but there is no illumination of runway from cockpit view.

Any help would be appreciated. I do fly Careando aircraft regular and I am sure as you can see I have purchased a number or your aircraft because I like them.

The new YouTube is: https://youtu.be/Gflvwq6G0Og

Thanks again

Dick "

Looking for some answer back that might help.  If not I will have to rebuild light section in Config for aircraft like you did.

Dick

Hi @bigsky10, I've personally found Carenado support practically useless.

My first taste of Carenado support was when I purchased the Steam Gauge version of the Caravan C208 and noticed there were no cockpit switch click sounds.

So I raised a ticket and they said reinstall as it should have sounds, and after much back and forth and myself fully reviewing what was actually installed and contained within the installer - there were no sounds, even though at the end of it Carenado support were still insisting there were.

So I built my own. and that got me started on finding and adding mods to the Carenado range.

But back to lighting, the lights are typically built into the model and what you can do is overlay them with defaults chosen from the range included with the std. P3D aircraft.

e.g. the F16 or C130, or whatever lights suit.

I also use the Shockwave lights that I had in FSX.

You'll find the fully loaded mod package for the PC12 has been configured using lights overlayed, which you can change to whatever you'd prefer.

Mostly the time consuming part is lighting placements but since that's already done the lights can be whatever you'd prefer.

There is likely a better model based method, however I've found messing with the models tends to break things that means a ton of work to find and fix.

Best to look for things outside of the model if at all possible.

Cheers

Edited by Rogen

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

I think Carenado knows that there is a group of talented individuals out there, including you, that will not only fix or create what they did not do, but provide free support for them as well. There responsiblity ends after the creation of a good looking aircraft.

Heh, that ends with their MSFS releases...

Given they only distribute via the Microsoft store there's encryption applied which means no community mods or fixes like those seen for their previous ranges.

Additionally I would say a large number of new MSFS users are quite the picky bunch (having been raised on FPS & RPG games of very high quaity) and will punish a developer with poor QA and features in the various forums etc.

Plus MSFS's ongoing development at a.. shall we call it a Microsoft Sales department mandated rate means bugs, bugs and more bugs and devs needing to go back to their codebase to fix or workaround, lest their shiny release no longer be in a sellable condition.

This is something all devs now have to come to grips with, because FSX was a static release, and P3D was in an almost static state where the P3D devs tried hard to not break existing software.

And so the devs grew complacent and somewhat entitled where some would even refuse to update or fix bugs in their releases.

And that attitude ends for them... 😉

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Not a big fan of anything Microsoft in any area of my life unless absolutely necessary. Real great company there. Google ‘anti trust lawsuits’. What did it for me was this:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/tech-industry/rockin-on-without-microsoft/

My stepson was working there at the time. These ***holes show up with guns.

After the MS thugs get their piece, they move to Linux which my stepson was a part of. He still won’t touch MS software to this day.

Anyway, when I was looking for non-existent V4/5 aircraft over at Milviz there was a tersely worded message in red regarding the extent of responsibility regarding 3rd party gauges that don’t work in their aircraft. Bet their not the only ones getting a little feedback after those updates…😂

• Like 1