Sign in to follow this  
robert young

PREVIEW: DA62 complete Makeover

This has been in the pipeline for many weeks. At first I did not think much of the Diamond DA62. I found it rather bland and terribly sluggish on take off. But it grew on me. It is superbly modelled by Asobo, and the flaws in performance are fixable, except FADEC which cannot be properly implemented without compromises that make it for me not worth while. But FADEC on this aircraft only controls rpm and auto run up. It already has automixture and Fadec in this case is not the be and end all.

I've concentrated on why this aircraft is the safest twin engined GA aircraft in history. It should be incredibly easy to fly, with beautifully balanced controls, easy engine management, and good autopilot. All these things have been achieved (I hope) in this mod. I've also tried proper livery painting this time - not just exterior decals - and along with a completely customised suite of exterior and interior lighting the beautiful stock reflections have been enhanced.

Summary list of tweaks:

* No more sluggish take off. The propeller coefficients have been meticulously re-written for a good healthy take off run.

* Ten new liveries, all with custom lighting and enhanced reflections

* The props will feather properly now, with the limitation that you need to be under 120 knots for the props to fully feather

* More realistic startup

* Total elimination of twitchiness in ground steering. You can apply rudder on take-off without squirming all over the place but you can still turn a very tight circle while taxiing

* Absolutely rock solid autopilot

* Assymetrical engine out exactly as described in reviews, POH and specs.

* Fine control over roll, pitch and yaw with a perfectly balanced side slip if needed, and characteristic mush stall as per DA62 specs

* Completely accurate cruise performance to within 1-2 knots of POH-published speeds

* Thanks to the brilliant Kaosfere from Working -Title, who generously let me use the code which enables proper dimmable lighting for the G1000 displays

We will be testing for compatibility with the latest Asobo update and all being well I will upload this around the coming weekend.

9_L_32ZvNE8rBw4MmzbfNtaZGjdQd2cWPstAM23n

p4QnL0SEO94N_oe6zMZhRoztSrTIyrcZ-AwHBiUV

xZkZb9thyF7pt_FKbKkMDgAKQem_oT7ULXFQbQ3K

zilAAvQnpVLEkz-Fl7IOmBZydhJGxhyjSh_DK7ca

LVLP4UnLQtiF151pj0pmOW1cmf3nmf3sKGEp8Juj

(If replying, please do not repeat images for the sake of more flow in this thread. Thank you).

Edited by robert young
  • Like 48
  • Upvote 10

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Absolutely stunning, looking forward to your release!

• Like 1

System: i7-10700K, Asus Formula XII, 32GB ram, Samsung 2TB NVMe SSD, EVGA FTW 3090, HP Reverb G2 headset

Hardware: VitualFly Yoko yoke, VirtualFly TQ6 throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Simulations: MSFS 2020 (VR), P3Dv5.3 (VR), X-Plane 11.5 (VR), DCS (VR)

This is awesome!!  I never flew this much in MSFS because of the power issues.  It did seem to fly nicely once you were in the air at cruise though.  Is the problem fixed where you would need nearly full power on approach to keep from sinking 1000+ fpm??😄

Edited by Flic1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

My God...  Amazing...  😵  I am really looking forward to trying this.  👍

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Awesome will it still possible to use throttle axis with FADEC?

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

.........aaand that yellow livery.  🙂

S awesome - Thanks.

Dennis

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

The DA62 is my favorite airplane in the sim. I look forward to your tweaks. I love the liveries, especially that gold one! I have your Bonanza Turbo and like it a lot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

This is awesome!!  I never flew this much in MSFS because of the power issues.  It did seem to fly nicely once you were in the air at cruise though.  Is the problem fixed where you would need nearly full power on approach to keep from sinking 1000 fpm??😄

Yes, although having watched a ton of youtube videos of a test/delivery pilot in the DA62, you do need quite a lot of power with full flap, but the average figure is 27% which is almost a third. On a flatter approach you will need slightly more than a third throttle to maintain speed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

It looks tremendous, thanks for your work and efforts.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

2 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Awesome will it still possible to use throttle axis with FADEC?

Yes. But the Fadec is really limited to automixture in the DA62 source code, because the governor already controls the rpm. Fadecs of this kind are not magic. They are not distant from a car ECU, which controls the fuel injectors but of course not rpm. I'm aware there is already a mod which tries, very nobly, to implement a full fadec, but for me the necessity to do it by pressing F keys is not something I want to do. 

• Like 1

Gorgeous, and we have GOT to get you the Deluxe Primo version so you can wave your magic wand over the Beech Baron next!

🤙

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

19 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Gorgeous, and we have GOT to get you the Deluxe Primo version so you can wave your magic wand over the Beech Baron next!

🤙

Actually, a very kind donor donated exactly that, but I am waiting to install a new SSD drive as my current one is nearly full - and I need to pick exactly the right time to install as so far downloads have been a nightmare - round and round in circles.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks so much. We appreciate your work. Waiting for it.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 3

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers