Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

A pittance of time...

On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month the armistice that ended World War 1 was signed.  Armistice Day was a holiday that celebrated the armistice.  But since then, in these days of everlasting wars, Armistice Day has become Veterans Day to remember the veterans of all wars.

A friend of mine from Alberta, Canada, send me A Pittance of Time a dozen or so years ago.  Every Veterans Day I send it to everyone I know.

There are a lot veterans who inhabit this forum from every corner of the world.  This is for them.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-omr-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=omr&p=a+pittance+of+time+youtube#id=2&vid=8a58a847870c06cd53a9f5117d8db10e&action=view 

Noel

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Noel,

That was the first time I have heard that and it brought tears to my eyes.

As a vet, serving in the Royal Australian Air Force at 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month (Armistice Day) we generally observe a minutes silence (as opposed to 2 minutes there) However, I have seen traffic brought to a standstill in the main street of Perth, Western Australia to observe this solemn time,

Whilst this is an incredibly emotional time for me emotionally, it does not come close to my feelings for Anzac Day (25th April) each year.  Since 1968, I have missed a total of 4 Anzac Day Dawn Services.. 2 due to illness and two due to being overseas.  As I have lived in Indonesia since 2004 I have travelled to Australia in April each year to recognize and to appreciate the pain and suffering of the soldiers from Australia and New Zealand in Gallipoli in the first world war.

The actual song "Pittance of Time' is very similar in sentiment to an old song by the Irish Rovers called "The green Fields of France" which I have always thought of as one of the best anti war songs.  Worth a look on YouTube.

I have just returned from the 11am service in Manjimup where I observed that 1 minute of silence and followed that up with a couple of beers at the pub with some fellow vets.

Thank you so much for that link and whilst, I am here, may I please add my little voice to express my best wishes to all my fellow vets all over the world.  Thank you so very much for your sacrifices for our freedom and standards of life that we enjoy today.

Regards

Tony

Regards 

• Like 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Apologies to all, 

I mentioned the Irish Rovers as the singers of The Green Fields of France and it should have been The Fureys. Both hands have Ireland in common though so I came close LOL

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I just went to Utube and watched The Green Fields of France.  The picture of the fields of poppies jogged another memory...WW1 veterans selling paper poppies on Armistice Day to put or pin on your lapel.  A visual remembrance.

Here is a link to The Green Fields of France.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-omr-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=omr&p=the+green+fields+of+france+youtube#id=4&vid=c39b5d06fe51020f9b6213d3fed56f1d&action=click

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Thanks Noel. I've watched that every year since it was first uploaded to YouHooTube 12 years ago... 😉

A pause of only 2:00 minutes for a 5:08 minute long song? 😄

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I tried to watch those yesterday, but the sight was so slammed, they wouldn't play. I watched, and cried today.

Thanks Noel.

Sue

• Like 4

Thank you Noel. Lest we forget.

• Like 1

Captain to First Officer: " I didn't say it was your fault I am just blaming you "