Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

Struggling with microstutters, need some help pls.

Good evening folks, hope all are well in these crazy times.

For quite some time now i am experiencing microstuttering in MSFS especially when i pan around the view. For example lets say i am looking outside my left cockpit window and after some seconds i pan around towards the panel, the FPS drop from 60 to 59 for just a blink of an eye producing an ugly microstutter. Some might say this shouldnt be a big deal but for me its like a scratch in the car. After seeing it the first time you cant ignore it. Additional to that when taxiing around and turning, it's not smooth.

I have pretty much tried everything to fix this but had no luck. VSYNC on/off, ingame or NCP, using RTSS and Special K to smoothen the FPS. Different Monitor refresh rates and resolutions, Hyperthreading on/off, different NCP Settings and all i could find googling around. Nothing seems to help.

If anyone has a clue of what might be going on i'd be very happy to hear...

My Specs:

i9-9900k @5.0Ghz (watercooled)

ASUS Z390-F Gaming

RTX 3080

32GB RAM

Win 10

MSFS is installed on a dedicated NVME.

Again, MSFS is running @ 60FPS 99,9 percent of the time so i'd assume it's not related to low PC performance. I am thinking of a VSYNC problem here but i'm no expert.

The above problem occurs in Glasscockpits aswell as Steamcockpits.

So any help woul'd be highly appreciated!

Best regards,

Tom

Edit: When i set the FPS limit to 61 i get the same issue with 61/60 FPS instead. Or 59/58 and so on....

Edited by ThomseN_inc
Typo

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Is it possible that this is simply part of the MSFS engine?

Just like most cars have scratches, at least after parking them in a supermarket parking lot, MSFS has its shortcomings..

It is frankly a lot to wish for, to expect no performance impact whatsoever, when you pan around, outside and inside the cokpit.. 😉

Bert

Have you tried setting VSYNC in the NVidia software versus in the game itself ?

Another question. Does it only occur when you pan to include an inside view where the game adjusts brightness etc or do you also get it just panning around the scenery ?

What if you lock frames at 30 FPS? IMO you can't really tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS in a flight sim.

I get microstutters also (lower specs than your's). They dont bother me too much except for when the sound starts skipping too.

1. Process Lasso
2. Close web browser, virus protection, etc. 

I have far less capable system that you and it is silky smooth. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

8 minutes ago, NightOfDreams said:

What if you lock frames at 30 FPS? IMO you can't really tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS in a flight sim.

I get microstutters also (lower specs than your's). They dont bother me too much except for when the sound starts skipping too.

Always bearing in mind that if your monitor is not 60 or 120 hz you might need to dial in a different FPS number.

A 144hz monitor would need to be set to 72 fps or 36 fps for example not 30/60  .

ThomasN,

Take a look at this video. Seems to make sense and it helped me. 

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

51 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Is it possible that this is simply part of the MSFS engine?

Just like most cars have scratches, at least after parking them in a supermarket parking lot, MSFS has its shortcomings..

It is frankly a lot to wish for, to expect no performance impact whatsoever, when you pan around, outside and inside the cokpit.. 😉

Not sure. Didn't have those stutters from the beginning.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

51 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Have you tried setting VSYNC in the NVidia software versus in the game itself ?

Another question. Does it only occur when you pan to include an inside view where the game adjusts brightness etc or do you also get it just panning around the scenery ?

Yes i have. For some reason Vsync via Nvidia Control Panel does not work with MSFS (Turned on via Nvidia, Off in the Sim but still is OFF).

Looks like it is mostly panning around the inside views. My first suspect were the Glasscockpits but since Steam gauges are having the same issue it must be something else.

1 minute ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Yes i have. For some reason Vsync via Nvidia Control Panel does not work with MSFS (Turned on via Nvidia, Off in the Sim but still is OFF).

Looks like it is mostly panning around the inside views. My first suspect were the Glasscockpits but since Steam gauges are having the same issue it must be something else.

There is also the option to frame limit on a game by game basis in GeForce experience, though admittedly overall GeForce Experience kinda sux , but if you happen to be running it already anyway.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

53 minutes ago, NightOfDreams said:

No thank you really. There is a huge difference between 30 and 60 FPS and i don't want to miss the smoothness of 60Hz. And since my Rig is able to keep up 60FPS except the above issue i am assuming this is not caused by "low" FPS.

1 minute ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

There is also the option to frame limit on a game by game basis in GeForce experience, though admittedly overall GeForce Experience kinda sux , but if you happen to be running it already anyway.

Just to clarify: Are we talking about Nvidia Experience (deinstalled it the other day) or about the Nvidia Control panel?

38 minutes ago, loop_n_roll said:

ThomasN,

Take a look at this video. Seems to make sense and it helped me. 

Thanks! Will try this one tomorrow and report back!

56 minutes ago, RobJC said:

1. Process Lasso
2. Close web browser, virus protection, etc. 

I have far less capable system that you and it is silky smooth. 

I have heard of Process Lasso. Is it similar to Special K or does it set the process priority?

1 minute ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Just to clarify: Are we talking about Nvidia Experience (deinstalled it the other day) or about the Nvidia Control panel?

The change frame on a per game option is in the Experience app. However I would NOT reinstall it just to get that option. the experience app is pretty awful.