Sign in to follow this  
Janov

X-Plane beta 11.51 beta 1 is available

Yeah, I like those trolls! And I also like about other users experience and opinons.

For me Vulkan has brought a marked increase in performance, especially removing stutters (variation in framerate). With a generally low framerate, panning the view will not be smooth, it is physically impossible as a new frame (at i.e. 30fps) can only be rendered every 333 milliseconds. At a panrate of 90 deg/second (a slow swivel of the head) this translates to a new picture every 3 degrees of headturn -> perceived as stutter.

The only proof I accept as reports of stutters (from known X-Plane haters) is a screenshot of the framerate graph together with an attached log.txt.

Jan

• Upvote 2

I've hidden/removed some posts from the usual suspects (and those who quoted them) who seem to degrade every thread with the same arguments and negativity. It's fine having an opinion, but repeating the same thing and attacking LR on every thread is not. Please take it elsewhere

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

...and to get back on topic 11.51b1:

I would like to know if there are other users that can report an improvement with regard to device loss errors after installing 11.51?

I (running vanilla X-Plane with one or two Vulkan-certified plugins) have suffered the very occasional DLE in 11.50r3. After I reported it to LR they sent me an interim-fix X-Plane.exe file. After replacing my original file with it, I suffered no more DLEs. This was a few weeks ago.

Now after installing 11.51 (over the interim file) I also have no DLEs.

I think it bears mentioning that 11.51 should have neglegible effect on framerate or stutters...so the usual reports we get after ANY updated to X-Plane are most likely false subjective impressions. Here is the list of fixes again, the only thing that could have any performance impact is XPD-10836, dependent on what coding changes were made to make it more stable.

Beta 1

• Updated translations for most languages.
  • Updated & additional joystick config files.
  • Device loss crashes on Vulkan/Windows should be less frequent.
  • XPD-10617 CTD when using “regenerate icons for current aircraft (and livery).
  • XPD-10836 Device loss crashes on Metal/Mac should be less frequent.
  • XPD-11003 Metal has been disabled for Nvidia-based Macs on 10.15 because it hangs.
  • XPD-11025 Plane Maker 11.50 breaks the .acf file when periods are changed to commas.
  • XPD-11028 Crash in the map.
  • XPD-11030 Switching liveries a couple of times crashes X-Plane.
  • XPD-11036 Fixed broken mouse cursor in 3-d cockpit with LDR and OGL.
  • XPD-11038 Fixed washed out GL movie capture.
  • XPD-11044 Fixed missing runway outlines on map.
  • XPD-11047 Fixed option for edge blending with no warping.
  • XPD-11069 Loading flight plans fails after loading a checklist.
  • XPD-10832 Added camera permission string for third party apps

Cheers, Jann

Edited by Janov

Update on the M1 chip:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2020/11/21/apple-macbook-pro-13-m1-reviewwhy-you-might-want-to-pass/?sh=a57920f786a8

My post is based on the blog entry of the graphics developer in X-Plane.

I was wondering why there is no real review of the M1 chip. The above report might be the answer?
It does seem to be the one of the fastest processor out here and they even explained it in an official video. RAM is built into the processor. This might be a difference as SSD was to HDD. Still they selled the M1 chip and this "Rosetta called thing" as the perfect solution. Everybody knows that emulation does have flaws, Apple said the oppossite, but it looks like reality is different.

AMD and Intel will have to further improve the architecture, no doubt, I personally fear  the performance of the M1 chip, but still it`s nice to see how much marketing hype is going on again.

I`m wondering if X-Plane works good enough on emulation.