Sign in to follow this  
AmeliaCat

Looking forward to trying VR but what about navigation?

So I am hoping the windows VR Beta has gone well and VR is going to be available soon and then I might splurge for a headset..

But my main concern is I use Littlenavmap on a laptop and use it for navigatioin... If I was using a VR headset I wont be able to see my laptop and I'd be stuck using that horrible vfr map in msfs.

So does anyone know can u alt tab in vr and look at another open window or hit the windows key and get to another open desktop to peek LNM?

I am thinking that VR is going to really limit the ability to use third party navigation software . Unless removing your headset or peeking over it it is practical?

Debating going the large 4k display route or get VR headset route. 

Since the HP Reverbs are in such short supply, I wonder if they have even been able to find enough testers. I suspect they will have to open the beta to other headsets sooner rather than later...

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

With Oculus you can take 2D windows into your VR game, and some people say with WMR you can do it too

17 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Since the HP Reverbs are in such short supply, I wonder if they have even been able to find enough testers. I suspect they will have to open the beta to other headsets sooner rather than later...

They anounced yesterday that today started the invites for other HMD, but after that they were closing the inscription.

4 minutes ago, cercata said:

With Oculus you can take 2D windows into your VR game, and some people say with WMR you can do it too

They anounced yesterday that today started the invites for other HMD, but after that they were closing the inscription.

ok thats good know,,,

Steam has a few tools for integrating 2D programs into the 3D world which I tried together with AeroflyFS2. They worked, sort of, but were awkward to handle and I got pretty quick rid of them. In my mind, the better solution is to abandon external moving maps, as nice as they may be, and rely on the internal navigation instruments like the G1000 or G3000 which are well-readable in state of the art VR devices. That's what I am using right now in AeroflyFS2 and the MSFS VR beta.

Besides, you can use the MSFS internal Moving but of course this doesn't sport the feature set of LNM.

Moreover, I am not sure if the mentioned tools will work with MSFS at all which is based on OpenVR and those tools (at least those I know) are SteamVR-based (as is AeroflyFS2).

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

7 hours ago, pmb said:

I am not sure if the mentioned tools will work with MSFS at all which is based on OpenVR and those tools (at least those I know) are SteamVR-based (as is AeroflyFS2).

You mean OpenXR instead of OpenVR i guess ... I wonder the same, if the overlays will work ... maybe they do, they use different apis, but over the same runtime.

The garmins with the current "Working-Title" mods are not ugly, and can be used for navigation. I only miss the map for knowing the names of the "things" I'm flying over.

I really Hope we'll have something like Avitab, it's better than overlays, more immersive.

Edited by cercata
  • Like 1

The best option imho is something like VRK kneeboard. A physical tablet device velcro’d to your knee which takes interactions like scroll, pen interaction and page turn and insim you see a tablet with approach plates, written text etc. I got that going in AFS2 as an overlay. It would be better done as part of the sim.

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

1 hour ago, cercata said:

You mean OpenXR instead of OpenVR i guess ...

You're right, thanks for correcting.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

8 hours ago, Spit40 said:

The best option imho is something like VRK kneeboard. A physical tablet device velcro’d to your knee which takes interactions like scroll, pen interaction and page turn and insim you see a tablet with approach plates, written text etc. I got that going in AFS2 as an overlay. It would be better done as part of the sim.

Thats sounds amazing ... i guess it will be the future, we'll see how far is that future from now.

The DCS kneeboad is not bad, but it can be done much better, really in your knee.

On 11/14/2020 at 3:39 AM, cercata said:

I really Hope we'll have something like Avitab, it's better than overlays, more immersive.

You might want to cast you vote for the next Q&A, I'd miss Avitab too.

“When will you start working directly with other Developers? We don’t want just Aerosoft airliners in the most beautiful simulator made for GA” - Community / Dev Q&A: Post Questions Here! - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)