Sign in to follow this  
MikeyOnTheFlightDeck

Take off roll in a320 - help!

Ok so I’m really struggling to keep aligned down the the runway on take off. I’m not convinced it’s wind related either. After 100 knots I’m fighting like mad to keep it straight. I’m using the FBW mod so not sure if it’s the latest patch that has made this worse? Does anyone have any advice?

16 minutes ago, MikeyOnTheFlightDeck said:

Ok so I’m really struggling to keep aligned down the the runway on take off. I’m not convinced it’s wind related either. After 100 knots I’m fighting like mad to keep it straight. I’m using the FBW mod so not sure if it’s the latest patch that has made this worse? Does anyone have any advice?

Are both engines running? There was a BUG back in the days where one of the ENG kept shutting off....

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Remember to keep a bit of forward stick/yoke thru about 80 kts to keep the nose planted.  By that point you should have it pointed where its supposed to go

and you can gently release the forward pressure as you approach rotation speed.  Other than that, make sure you have sufficient null zone for your rudder/ nose wheel control....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bszuch said:

Remember to keep a bit of forward stick/yoke thru about 80 kts to keep the nose planted.  By that point you should have it pointed where its supposed to go

and you can gently release the forward pressure as you approach rotation speed.  Other than that, make sure you have sufficient null zone for your rudder/ nose wheel control....

Exactly how I do it when real world jets. There is something off with the flight model.

Turning on Rudder assist for takeoff will give you a more realistic experience. That applies for taxiing and ground roll after landing as well. It's much easier in a real aircraft because the weathervane simulation is way overdone and that goes back to FSX. Real flying is much easier than any sim I've tried. Any sort of wind will make directional control way more difficult.

Tony Fontaine

What are you using to control your rudder? Rudder pedals are kind of a 'must', plus make sure your rudder device has been calibrated under Windows....

Good luck!

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Just now, Silicus said:

What are you using to control your rudder? Rudder pedals are kind of a 'must', plus make sure your rudder device has been calibrated under Windows....

Good luck!

You could be onto something. I’m using an Xbox controller but I have dead zone set to 10%, albeit there are other settings which in truth I don’t understand what impact they have. Anyone else using an Xbox controller suffering with this?

I would also check to make sure you don't have any double assignments for your rudder.

i9-13900K @ 5.8Ghz / Asus TUF 4090 OC / 32 GB DDR 5 / Corsair 1000W PS /  Pimax Crystal / 2 SATA SSD / 2TB M2 SSD/ DOF Reality H3 motion platform/ Win 11 

22 hours ago, MikeyOnTheFlightDeck said:

I’ve checked everything I think. Both engines running and still happens with zero crosswind when I manually set clear skies. 

I also noticed this on light planes that have a propeller so I thought it was an exaggerated torque effect. This should definitely NOT happen with an A320 that has 2 jet engines under the wings. I am not sure it is a bug of the sim, rudder assist should not be necessary for this, I hope it will be fixed one day.

23 hours ago, MikeyOnTheFlightDeck said:

Anyone else using an Xbox controller suffering with this?

I had the exact same problem. Turning on rudder assist in the settings solved it. Now I have to steer the plane with my yoke but it‘s still much better than before. No more swaying whatsoever.

Edited by Shack95

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Not helping I guess but I am not seeing this in the A320 with FlybyWire mod. In fact it seems to behave really well on both taxi and take off roll. Using rudder pedals with a 2% null zone. No assists and modern flight model. Make sure you are not slipping one engine into REV.

I think that is a control issue, not a sim issue.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

1 hour ago, Shack95 said:

I had the exact same problem. Turning on rudder assist in the settings solved it. Now I have to steer the plane with my yoke but it‘s still much better than before. No more swaying whatsoever.

Thanks. In my quest to seek out realism I will try this setting and see how I get on. 

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

I also noticed this on light planes that have a propeller so I thought it was an exaggerated torque effect. This should definitely NOT happen with an A320 that has 2 jet engines under the wings. I am not sure it is a bug of the sim, rudder assist should not be necessary for this, I hope it will be fixed one day.

It shouldn't be necessary but it is as of now. It's the simulating of weathervaning that's way too sensitive at this point. 

Tony Fontaine