Sign in to follow this  
woodstock327

Questiong regarding procedure turns in flight plan

Hi,

today I was flying a VOR/DME approach (KAPN, VORDME 19) that required and outbound procedure turn before turning inbound into the approach:

ProcedureTurnMap.JPG?raw=1

P2ATC did include the waypoints of the procedure turn in the flightplan when I selected the approach:

ProcedureTurn.JPG?raw=1

But shortly after reaching the APN VOR the active (highlighted) leg in the flight plan 'skipped' over all procedure turn waypoints and moved to DAKRY (and ATC did not refer to the PT at all). Is this intentional, or a bug, either with this particular approach or in general? Or maybe my assumption that the PT is part of the approach is wrong to begin with?

Thanks!

Yes, you should fly the procedure turn.  That is up to you and your autopilot.  Sometimes the P2A flight plan will skip ahead in the waypoint tracking in these situations, but you should fly the approach as it should be flown.

Dave

It would seem to me that if the P2A flight plan REQUIRES the procedure turn, then it should be done automatically UNLESS ATC says otherwise, If the software skips ahead something may need to be fixed with the software, Hope this helps🙂

Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

Yeah that was actually a follow-up question I had on this - is there any logic to as why P2ATC has skipped this PT? I had flown another approach a few days ago where the PT was actually on the inbound leg and it made sense to me that the WP tracking skipped over it (at least I thought so, I do not know if the PT is always required in such cases).

In any case, I assume there is no way to manually 're-sync' the waypoint tracking manually after this, right? Would be nice if I decide to fly the PT that I still had the distance / track to WP info etc available at this point...

The skipped waypoints are not done intentionally.  This is a glitz in the program that I've not been able to fix.

There are some approaches with Holding Patterns at the IAF that are used only to get aligned with the inbound course.  You do not have to actually hold at these, but rather use the holding pattern to get aligned if needed.  P2A does not yet support holding.

Dave