Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

How I got my system to be stutter free...

Alternatively for those with older systems, try the V-sync functions of RTSS which are described in other posts in this forum. First adjust your graphics settings to get a frame rate around 40 or so, and then start RTSS to lock it to 30. MSFS runs without stutters using "High-End" setting on my i7-700K, GeForce 1080, and HD monitor.

But if you've got the bucks (in whatever currency you use), sounds like G-sync is the answer! Thanks for sharing.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

6 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

How are screenshots supposed to support your argument about getting stutter-free performance?

They are not. But it is an example of the visual quality i am able to achieve stutter free.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Guys, the reason i posted my settings was because even with g-sync on i was getting stutters depending on the settings i had. I do believe g-sync helps a ton, but even with it i was getting stutters. Exploring these settings might help someone get a smoother experience. 

One other thing i have noticed. When i get the right setting combo the improvement goes beyond just eliminating the stutters. Even at the same or lower FPS the visuals look smoother. It is like the graphics were being held back vs free the pump out the frames. Again, even at lower FPS it is obvious. Panning is also better. 

The “Prefer maximum performance” setting at the bottom of the nvidia profile screenshot seems to make a big difference even though some have said my setting isn’t optimal.

Edited by RobJC
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

12 hours ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

This is setup for eye candy but using clouds on low is totally unacceptable for anyone wanting to simulate real world weather and/or IFR. Would trade those building/tree/grass ultra settings down. Render scaling to 80 as well.

I see no noticeable difference in performance with buildings/tree/grass on ultra vs medium and things look a little better with ultra. Render scaling at 80 is noticeably worse. The gauges look a bit blurry at 80 or 90.  

12 hours ago, DaedalusX said:

Gsync is the key to a stutter-free experience. 
Winning combo is i7-10700K OCed to 5.0 ghz. HT Off. RTX 3080 and a LG CX 48. 

It’ll give you very good stutter free experience at 4K, HDR, RGB 10bit. 

Interesting.  You get better performance with Hyper-threading off?

I have a special edition 8086K (basically an 8700K) at 5.1GHz with water cooling.  So 6 cores 12 threads.  It isn't so good without HT.

Do you turn HT off just to get a higher overclock?  Unfortunately, even with HT off on mine, I can't get any higher than 5.1.

• Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Interesting.  You get better performance with Hyper-threading off?

I have a special edition 8086K (basically an 8700K) at 5.1GHz with water cooling.  So 6 cores 12 threads.  It isn't so good without HT.

Do you turn HT off just to get a higher overclock?  Unfortunately, even with HT off on mine, I can't get any higher than 5.1.

Every cpu is binned differently. Some unlucky can't get past 4.9 on a 10700K. Some can do 5.2, really depends on the silicon lotto. 

For me I've tested that my OC was more stable without HT. But  I have 8 cores. Test it with and without HT and see it for yourself. For some people, it might make a difference. For me it didn't.

Maybe on later revisions of P3D and FS2020 you might get extra performance out of those threads ... That being said 5.1 on all cores is very good and you wouldn't see much of a difference if you were stable at 5.2.

• Like 1

my days of doing all this are over........in my humble experience if your sim is stuttering just turn down settings or buy a more powerful PC.  

• Like 2

Thomas Derbyshire

For nVidia users who aren't techies and don't have time to experiment,   you can just try a few different spots on the quality optimization slider and your game can be anything from a blurry mess to sharp as a tack with the GeForce Experience.    It takes a lot of criticism,  because most people don't know the GefEx quality slider exists and the defaults can often make your game look worse.  Power users tend to like more control,  so it's typically not for them either.      My system is strong enough to drag the slider full right @ 4k,  and it looks amazing.   I used to love tweaking each setting and optimizing setting by setting,   but I don't have the time or even interest in do it anymore.  

Personally,  I love the GEF app because it records 4k HDR for me with virtually no FPS loss in FS20.   GEF also has some nice shaders to play with.

Edited by Waldo Pepper

@Waldo Pepper The video is 11 seconds long and nothing there!

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

It has a simple purpose in life,  one in fact.   To point out the location of the quality slider to novice users who don't know it exists.    It's not meant to distill the meaning of life for you,  but thanks.

2 hours ago, sidfadc said:

..in my humble experience if your sim is stuttering just turn down settings or buy a more powerful PC.  

And this has been an ABSOLUTE TRUTH for the last 30 years of the Flight simulation!!!

Flanker, Falcon, DCS, FSX, Xplane had the same STUTTERING problem. Funny, but "stuttering" Flanker 1.0 sim was only 10MB! 😄

Edited by OSM
  • Like 1

Opened full screen to see it! Yep!

• Like 1

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

2 hours ago, sidfadc said:

my days of doing all this are over........in my humble experience if your sim is stuttering just turn down settings or buy a more powerful PC.  

Or spend a little time and figure out the issue. There are many people reporting stuttering with 10900K / 3080 rigs. I am not sure throwing money at the problem solves the issue. Heck, when I first started testing I turned my settings all the way down and still had micro stutters. But if I could get a reasonably priced 3070 or 2080 Ti I probably would buy it. None available. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sauviat said:

@@Maxis As my PC and monitor are new, it's times like these you get to know what it can do. The monitor has Freesync and it is showing as off! However, Cannot find any info in the NVIDIA control panel for Freesync. So not sure by turning Freesync on whether there will be compatibility.

Martin

Sorry i didnt get to this in time. the Nvidia control panel will let you know if your monitor is Gsync compatible. For some freesync monitors you will have to turn on the feature on within the monitors Menu (the actual buttons on the monitor) While some has the feature on by default.

If the monitor is Gsync compatible then the Nvidia control panel with say so. All you have to do at that point is check the box to enable it. Then check the other box below to enable the gsync settings for that specific monitor. After that you will see gsync options within the 3d application section of the Nvidia control panel.

I run  a 34 inch ultrawide @1440p Ultra with everything turned up and sit around 35-40 fps in the cockpit (panel refresh high). The frame rates may seem low but they are smooth... again mind you i never really got the stutters but with Gsync enabled i can tell its doing something with lag and evening out the frames.

My essential specs are Ryzen 3700X stock with PBO , RTX 2080 Super with a modest OC and 32 gigs ram.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders