Sign in to follow this  
tnbriggs

No gauges

Hello all,

After a bit of forum searching with no results I'm posting this question.

Odd display issue here. The ATI 5570 graphics card (1 gb vram) in my computer failed and until I either do an oven-based reflow on it or buy a replacement I installed the machine's original Geforce 7300 GT (256 mb vram) back into the computer. But now when I try to run FSX, I get no gauges on any aircraft and the gauge locations on the panels (2d & 3d) are transparent. I also reset all the display settings to their minimums, no change.

The 7300 GT worked ok in FSX years ago in both XP & Win7 and seems to work ok in most other applications (except that on Flightradar24 I can no longer see anything in 3d mode). Any ideas what the problem is with the gauges now?

Machine is dual boot MacPro 1,1 (bootcamp) running Windows 10 Pro 32 bit. 15 GB memory. Win10 is running DirectX 12.

Thanks for any help.

Have you checked what FSX is showing in its graphics tab - adapter, screen resolution, etc? Did you reset it to the 7300?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Here's another thought: Windows 10 is more graphic intensive than Windows XP and Windows 7.  You may be shorter on available VRAM in your current system than in your previous system.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Thanks for the responses. I never did get it to work with the 7300.

However, I did bake the ATI HD5700 in the oven to reflow the circuit board and chip solder connections and it now works. Reinstalled it, and low and behold it has the same issues with missing gauges, so it must not be an issue with the VRAM. I'm going to copy my current FSX installation to a backup drive and then reinstalling FSX to see if a fresh install makes a difference. If so then I'll move the old stuff back over and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 2

Couldn't re-install FSX from the original DVDs but did get it to work by copying the Gauges directory from my laptop to the desktop machine, and the gauges now appear fine. Presume that the Gauges directory and files within had somehow gotten corrupted. 

More for those interested:
Dual boot MacPro 1,1 (2006) when upgraded (??) from Win 7 to Win 10 loses ability to read and access its optical drive (only in Windows). Can only read optical drive if booted with a bootable disk in the drive and when you try to swap it for the FSX disk you can't close the tray from the Apple keyboard drive key and the drive is not usable. I networked the laptop (Macbook Pro) dual boot to MacPro and was able to read FSX disks in its optical drive, but couldn't do a repair to FSX because the FSX install setup couldn't find the .msi installer, for some unknown weird reason, because it was right where it was supposed to be, on the install disk on the laptop. 

Moral of the story: should never have upgraded to Win 10. It all worked fine in Win 7. Ah, progess.

• Upvote 1