Sign in to follow this  
woodstock327

Traffic alerts for ground traffic?

I've now encountered several flight where, immediately after taking off, I get lots of continuous traffic alerts (sometimes lasting a minute or so) for AI traffic although there is no AI flying anywhere around me for miles. I suspect P2ATC is mistakenly identifying the parked ground AI in this case, and I also suspect that it might not be P2ATC's fault but MSFS reporting wrong data via SimConnect / FSUIPC, just wondering if anyone has seen this too...

Try setting AI Traffic range to 4 or 5 NM and altitude to 1000 or 2000 ft.  This should reduce warnings about traffic that is not a threat.

On 11/20/2020 at 12:26 PM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Try setting AI Traffic range to 4 or 5 NM and altitude to 1000 or 2000 ft.  This should reduce warnings about traffic that is not a threat.

Thanks Dave! I currently have it set to 5 NM / 3000 ft, and I'll change it down to 1000 ft to see if it makes a difference. I suspect it won't, as I get the warnings immediately after takeoff, so the separation from the airplanes parked on the ground should only be a few hundred feet anyways. More likely that MSFS is either reporting an incorrect altitude for those AI planes, or an incorrect status (in flight vs. stationary), though that's just speculation on my part as I don't know what info MSFS makes available to P2ATC and what your code uses to distinguish that. In any case, I'll try the altitude configuration change and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Dirk

From some comments on the FSUIPC support forum I suspect the AI traffic status is not reported correctly by Simconnect, and hence by FSUIPC. This requires a fix by Microsoft/Asobo.

Ian Box

On 11/20/2020 at 12:26 PM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

I have (and have had) my traffic set at 3 NM and 2000' and have this same problem, especially on final, or perhaps I notice it more on final as I'm getting lots of irrelevant traffic warnings (well, assuming I actually land the airplane anyway).

KevyKevTPA
PP, ASEL, IA

I think I got to the bottom of this. While taxing for takeoff at KBIL I noticed that all the parked AI showed up as red on the map, instead of the usual blue. And surely enough, immediately after takeoff I got about two dozen traffic warnings for the next minute or so. Which makes me conclude that those ghost traffic warnings are caused by P2ATC incorrectly identifying ground traffic as airborne...

ground.jpg

As you can see in the screenshot P2ATC correctly recorded the ground speed of the AI traffic as 0 knots, and altitude for those planes was about +/- 50 feet of airport elevation. I don't know what P2ATC uses to distinguish between airborne planes and planes on the ground (there might be a property that MSFS / SimConnect is reporting incorrectly), but would it maybe be possible to take the ground speed for this determination into account too? It looks like P2ATC does get the correct GS from SimConnect, and if it would consider 0 knots GS as 'parked' / on the ground then this issue would be gone...

Just a thought.

Thanks!

Dirk

With prepar3d, i could see the multiplayer traffic but i don't see it with msfs.

Is there a way to see it ?