Sign in to follow this  
Wanthuyr Filho

Loading Terrain Data

P3D v4.5 HF2, flying the FSL A320 (latest update) I've been experiencing something quite annoying, which is the loading of terrain and everything every few minutes. It is quite clear to me that some addon is changing the Level of Detail Radius setting within my own Profile (so that my Profile name changes to Custom when I get there to check it).

Any ideas on how to fix this, or to prevent my Profile from being changed by God knows what?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

It looks like the pc is falling behing with scenery loading and then starts reloading the scenery.

If it didn’t happen before with the same P3D version then it might be caused by :

- AV running in the background 

- a certain Windows update

- too much PR scenery active 

- driverissue (not correctly installed)

- higher settings than before

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

8 minutes ago, GSalden said:

It looks like the pc is falling behing with scenery loading and then starts reloading the scenery.

If it didn’t happen before with the same P3D version then it might be caused by :

- AV running in the background 

- a certain Windows update

- too much PR scenery active 

- driverissue (not correctly installed)

- higher settings than before

Not applicable in this case. I've always used Level of Detail Radius at the far right setting, which will never "make it fall behind" in any condition I have flown anywhere in the world. The problem is that something (?) is in fact changing the Level of Detail Radius setting and reducing it. Once that happens I understand the simulator "falls behind" the allocated memory or something and starts to load the scenery every few minutes. So I need to find what is changing this setting against my will in the first place.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

LOD radius cannot be adjusted while the scenery is loaded.

Only before loading into the scenery it can be adjusted.

Did you try making a new P3D.cfg file ?

Otherwise it might be one of the things I pointed out to...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

On 11/16/2020 at 6:30 AM, GSalden said:

LOD radius cannot be adjusted while the scenery is loaded.

Only before loading into the scenery it can be adjusted.

Did you try making a new P3D.cfg file ?

Otherwise it might be one of the things I pointed out to...

Well, in this case LOD Radius clearly IS being changed "on the fly", I mean, there is something, an addon maybe, that is changing it and whenever the slider is not on the far right I start seeing this annoying "loading scenery" thing during the flight. I tried several times re-adjusting it to the correct setting (far right/extreme) either by reselecting my saved Profile or adjusting the slider itself (which will turn to be the same thing), but then, minutes later, it starts all over again.

This is something that started a few days ago, I've been using the simulator for years with no issues in this regard, whatsoever.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

I seem to remember reading somewhere that P3D itself will dial back the LOD radius if it's bumping against the VRAM limit.  I did a cursory look but couldn't find anything definitive to point you to.  Given that LM does not expose any sort of external interface to the LOD radius, I would surmise it's happening within the sim itself.  Logic would suggest that if it's done by the software, it's to back away from a limit--and VRAM seems the most likely to me.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

37 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that P3D itself will dial back the LOD radius if it's bumping against the VRAM limit.  I did a cursory look but couldn't find anything definitive to point you to.  Given that LM does not expose any sort of external interface to the LOD radius, I would surmise it's happening within the sim itself.  Logic would suggest that if it's done by the software, it's to back away from a limit--and VRAM seems the most likely to me.

But I'm using v4.5 (HF2), which isn't prone to VRAM issues, isn't it? I use a 1080 TI, which has 11 GB of VRAM, which isn't the worst either... Considering that I can only think of a memory leak or something alike.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

6 minutes ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

But I'm using v4.5 (HF2), which isn't prone to VRAM issues, isn't it? I use a 1080 TI, which has 11 GB of VRAM, which isn't the worst either... Considering that I can only think of a memory leak or something alike.

Well, v4 is limited by the available VRAM, but it doesn't blow up like v5 does when it hits the VRAM limit (which occurs when a request is made to allocate a block of VRAM and there isn't a contiguous free block of at least that size).  DX11 (P3Dv4) virtualizes the VRAM space to system memory when it runs out, which just clubs performance.

What I read could have been a v5 thing...unfortunately I can't find the details.  But I know of no add-on that can make that change on the fly, as there is no simconnect interface to change the LOD radius--that means it's happening within P3D itself.

Standard troubleshooting stuff applies here...if this is a new behavior, what has changed recently?  Windows update?  New add-ons?  Any other odd or unstable behavior?

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

59 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Well, v4 is limited by the available VRAM, but it doesn't blow up like v5 does when it hits the VRAM limit (which occurs when a request is made to allocate a block of VRAM and there isn't a contiguous free block of at least that size).  DX11 (P3Dv4) virtualizes the VRAM space to system memory when it runs out, which just clubs performance.

What I read could have been a v5 thing...unfortunately I can't find the details.  But I know of no add-on that can make that change on the fly, as there is no simconnect interface to change the LOD radius--that means it's happening within P3D itself.

Standard troubleshooting stuff applies here...if this is a new behavior, what has changed recently?  Windows update?  New add-ons?  Any other odd or unstable behavior?

Apart from that everything seems really good, as usual. That I can recall only a few scenery addons were installed and some airplane addons were updated as well, such as PMDG and FSL, occasionally I update AIGAIM too. Thanks for the information!

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

On 11/15/2020 at 11:57 PM, Wanthuyr Filho said:

P3D v4.5 HF2, flying the FSL A320 (latest update) I've been experiencing something quite annoying, which is the loading of terrain and everything every few minutes. It is quite clear to me that some addon is changing the Level of Detail Radius setting within my own Profile (so that my Profile name changes to Custom when I get there to check it).

Any ideas on how to fix this, or to prevent my Profile from being changed by God knows what?

Thank you!

As GSalden recommends, new .cfg file and start  at the beginning, no changes.

A lotta work, yes. But, will help a lot with troubleshooting.

Aren't these terrain adjustments caused by in-sim automatic LOD switching when approaching a certain point. It has also been described as "terrain hopping" and is an old issue since FSX/ESP. It does not occur at every place at every time and it seems also to be related to mesh quality and if it is a more demanding area.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

19 hours ago, Nemo said:

Aren't these terrain adjustments caused by in-sim automatic LOD switching when approaching a certain point. It has also been described as "terrain hopping" and is an old issue since FSX/ESP. It does not occur at every place at every time and it seems also to be related to mesh quality and if it is a more demanding area.

No, it's a different thing. Scenery starts reloading during flight and when I go see it, the LOD Radius setting had been changed "alone".

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho