Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Why does Asobo refuse to fix FPS drops in airliner cockpits?

Like many, I have major FPS issues in airliner cockpits yet no issues in GA planes, all of this is fixed with turning off the displays pointing to them being the issue,why does Asobo ignore the issue,clearly its a coding issue as there are tons of Addons on other sims with no perf impact from glass displays.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

7 minutes ago, z06z33 said:

Like many, I have major FPS issues in airliner cockpits yet no issues in GA planes, all of this is fixed with turning off the displays pointing to them being the issue,why does Asobo ignore the issue,clearly its a coding issue as there are tons of Addons on other sims with no perf impact from glass displays.

It read somewhere it is partly too do with ADI versus html displays. Though cockpit building is not my area.

I believe the html displays have less functionality but less of a FPS hit, though do not quote me on that.

It turns into a bun fight eventually, I want nicer more functional displays, you prefer more FPS, the devs cannot provide both so who do they listen to ?

To be totally honest I would like to see more steam gauges instead of $30,000 glass cockpits in $20,000 aircraft.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I know that modders can mod the screens by using Java code. It might be the case the developers used Java code in the GA airliner displays. Java code must be compiled at runtime and makes it 10 times slower then usual code. That is a real dumb thing, but what should one expect from them?

2 hours ago, z06z33 said:

I thought this was already fixed by having a refresh rate option in the settings? Just reduce it to medium or low, it will improve the performance. 

However the question is, on which airliner are we talking about? Which mod? If you are referring to FBW320 mod, yes there is a hit in the fps there due to separate screens for captain and Co-captain, however I see that now the awesome guys at FBW are rewriting the code for the screens and hence improving the performance, I see already couple of pull requests in github already that is addressing this issue. 

If you are referring to the limited by main thread in the airliners in general, hence the CPU is being limited. Asobo mentioned in their weekly update that the next week update will have CPU performance and hence according to the last Q&A we should see less of the limited by main thread in the fps window. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

5 hours ago, CJ1045 said:

Yep this is fixed already - OP should use the fix that Asobo released.

CJ

I have displays at medium.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I sure hope that nerfing the refresh rate of the displays isn't going to be the only way to achieve decent FPS in glass-cockpit aircraft. We have add-ons in P3D that have extremely smooth displays without the performance penalty.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

I sure hope that nerfing the refresh rate of the displays isn't going to be the only way to achieve decent FPS in glass-cockpit aircraft. We have add-ons in P3D that have extremely smooth displays without the performance penalty.

I admit I don't use P3D (only FSX), but the same trend of airliner cockpits being more FPS intensive than GA [at least with payware add-ons] is pretty universal. Is this really a bug or just a natural side effect of having more complexity in the airliner displays & systems? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dolbinau said:

I admit I don't use P3D (only FSX), but the same trend of airliner cockpits being more FPS intensive than GA [at least with payware add-ons] is pretty universal. Is this really a bug or just a natural side effect of having more complexity in the airliner displays & systems? 

Exactly. Its been like that since the dawn of times. 

8 hours ago, z06z33 said:

Why are you thinking, that ASOBO refuse this? Couldn't be only because they fix bug in their order and priorities? It's sure, that ASOBO knows about this problem, so we must wait for fix.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, z06z33 said:

I have displays at medium.

Then try low. 

It’s probably more a case of can’t or haven’t yet rather than refusing to do so.

• Like 4

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

59 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Then try low. 

Slideshow displays with a much different frame rate than the rest of the window gave me borderline motion sickness even on Medium.  I can't imagine setting it to Low.  And people playing VR will have it even worse.

Asobo chose to use a web-based UX API designed for drawing a few static UI items over the HUD of a first person shooter to create complex glass cockpit displays.  It's clearly not optimized nor the right choice for the job.  I'm pretty sure the real glass cockpit displays are running on built in microcontrollers with way less power than a modern PC with ~3.75+ Ghz/per core, rendering these displays shouldn't be a huge task for a modern CPU - except modern programming is all about stacking 3rd party libraries on top of 3rd party libraries until the entire CPU/GPU is running nothing but poorly optimized API wrappers with an XML file controlling everything.

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 2

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

12 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

Calling headache-inducing slideshow displays "fixed" is rubbish.

No is not rubbish, I have mine at low and never noticed is a "slideshow" or "rubbish". Also, it depends if this is a mod or not 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

No is not rubbish, I have mine at low and never noticed is a "slideshow" or "rubbish". Also, it depends if this is a mod or not 

I've put mine at low and the display is pretty delayed to fly IFR on.

• Like 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.