Sign in to follow this  
767lover

New night lighting has grown on me

If only they changed the streetlights in the cities to the half-spherical versions or similar. Looking down from above one can in reality generally only see the reflected light from the pavement and the buildings.. 

9 hours ago, Dillon said:

The new lighting is word not allowed in the US especially Florida.  The highway lights need to be dimmed a bit at night as they overpower everything else, we have floating lights hanging in the air now, and runway/taxiways lights are on 24 hours a day.  There is no way this is acceptable.  They need to keep working on it.

Hmm. Odd. I’ve been flying in the US for some time now but I am not having airport lights on during the day...?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Neither do i, I also think the lighting was better before the last update..

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

What the moderators on FS forum need to do is combine all these night lighting threads into 1! Or else these threads may end up being at the bottom of the feedback list where they won't be acknowledged by Asobo/MS.

The night lighting is totally ruined after Update #5 for me. I find it difficult to fly at night now due to how unrealistic and overly bright the lights are. I really hope they address this issue soon, as it's a big one.

• Like 3

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Agree with those who find it horrid.

It's the first time in any sim that I simply can't fly at night. It's like flying in a brown soup. Add to that the floating street lights and the perfectly aligned quadrants of those street lights and I last about 15 minutes before hitting the slider to bring the sun back...

• Like 1

As another south florida resident, the changes have completely ruined it for me.  I know for a fact that "Alligator Alley" is not a long unbroken stream of of pearls across the everglades, and neither is the Tamiami Trail.

And in the Keys, it's even worse.  Bright lighting on the remote keys where there is none, and then No lighting on the bridges between keys where there is some.  Spots of AIA can get pretty dark.  I know.  I drive it often 

I really prefered the previous method, where the intensity was lower, there wasn't mysterious orbs 100's of feet off the ground, and the fact that lighting was based on a probability scale that produced accurate "looking" although not entirely accurate breaks in the lighting that one might normally attribute to changes in actual ground lighting or the fact that certain lights might not be visible because they are blocked by objects that the sim hasn't gotten around to rendering yet due to limited LOD.

These random "breaks" created a dynamic night environment that while static felt more alive since we could perceive the slight changes of the night environment from flight to flight.

Edited by wthomas33065
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

wthomas, I believe we wrote about these exact issues in another thread and I am in agreement with you.  

Alexander Alonso

I like the night lighting in the cities and towns in the midwest US but interstate highways in the rural areas look like they have street lights every 10 feet. I certainly don't see that when night flying IRL. I'd love to see Asobo/MS fix that part at a minimum.

Also, I've seen airport lighting turned on 24 hours a day at my local airport since day one. This is also not realistic. I just assumed everyone was seeing that but apparently either some are not seeing daytime lighting or airport lighting is correct (sunset to sunrise) in some parts of the world but not others. Hope this gets fixed too.

Here's another one concerning the lack of lighting for building at night (downtown areas seem to have a power outage):

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/can-asobo-add-more-lighting-to-office-buildings/323399

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I am currently cruising across Italy and still have huuuuge amounts of brightly lit up ground textures. Even whole mountainsides are lit up completely. Looks quite odd to me....

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

No, it's still terrible and it was way better before, now it looks like xplane nights which I hated.

• Like 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

Agreed that it was much better before. Then it started getting worse with these silly yellow glowing terrain, they fixed that but made other stuff worse off. 

Out of all sims, these guys were on the right track in regards to the night flying experience... don’t know why they dropped the ball. 

• Like 3