Sign in to follow this  
canadiantree

The day has come! RX 6800 / 6800xt avalable at 2 PM GMT

I give, what's the problem? Insufficient raw materials?  All this demand and not enough product does not bode well for pricing :blink:

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Sounds like the 6800 was hyped well, but AMD is not supplying anywhere near enough GPU's to meet demand.  The article is right, if you are a DIY-er and looking to build a new system, today is not the day to do it.  I am in that situation and I really don't want to buy an off-the-shelf system.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I have motherboard, CPU, RAM, 2 TB NVME storage, PSU, Mouse, just to the right of me, in their boxes, on the floor. Have no issue waiting until a 380 or 6800XT materialises. 

And I went for a 10900K. 😀 Because quite frankly the minor increase in performance with the new AMD chip is not enough to make me throw my arms in the air and proclaim a new revolution in personnel computing. 

On 11/27/2020 at 2:36 PM, stans said:

Sounds like the 6800 was hyped well, but AMD is not supplying anywhere near enough GPU's to meet demand.  The article is right, if you are a DIY-er and looking to build a new system, today is not the day to do it.  I am in that situation and I really don't want to buy an off-the-shelf system.

I'm in the same boat, I want to build my new rig, the one I'm using now, the first one I ever built is exactly 5 years old. I guess a few more months waiting won't hurt.

The problem I'm facing now is that there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer on which high end GPU is best for FS2020, it seems the 6800 XT & 3080 trade blows depending on the benchmark...

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

As much as I wanted to support AMD this time around it looks like the 3080 is the winner sub 700$...

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

I think AMD has done a really good job at catching up... On average, they're on par in rasterization performance with their respective counterparts, admittedly they lag behind in raytracing (which may still not be relevant for too many people). However, MSFS is one of the few titles where the new AMD cards perform well below Nvidia's contenders... As much as I'd like to support AMD, it's not gonna happen when I buy my next graphics card in a few months' time. While I do play other games, MSFS is the only game (simulator) that pushes a modern high-end GPU to its limits, so it's the most important thing for me to consider when choosing a new graphics card. 

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

One thing some testers noticed that at 1080P and 1440p the 6900xt was bottlenecked and a 3070 could match it in some games, that may be the the drivers which AMD lack when it comes to drivers. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

9 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

One thing some testers noticed that at 1080P and 1440p the 6900xt was bottlenecked and a 3070 could match it in some games, that may be the the drivers which AMD lack when it comes to drivers. 

That's what Jayztwocents reported, unstable drivers causing random Power draws.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:00 AM, canadiantree said:

That's what Jayztwocents reported, unstable drivers causing random Power draws.

But other testers are saying at 1080P the 6800xt matches the 6900xt on performance so why pay more.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

12 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

But other testers are saying at 1080P the 6800xt matches the 6900xt on performance so why pay more.

Agreed, the 6900 XT is not a relevant choice for us simmers.

No surprise to me, I always said in all my posts, let's compare apples to apples, not oranges to apples.

Our main concern relative to bench marks was how AMD was going to perform in flight simulator 2020, and of course their driver support, and not in racing cars, or one person shooting games.

I have been simming for many years, like many of us here yes AMD gave us some fantastic presentations, to hype us all, and how they were going to crush Nividia, remember this was basically at 1080, and once again this is a simming forum, and that's what concerns me most.

Thus, I am satisfied with my 3080,  while other scramble in 2020,,  and. benchmarks still show no conclusive reason to switch over to AMD,  it's close, but I don t see 20% increase in performance in specifically flight simulator, and all this high technology, otherwise.  

The bottom line is, how AMD performs in simming, and support for their drivers, so we can all have an enjoyable experience!!!

18 hours ago, rsperge said:

No surprise to me, I always said in all my posts, let's compare apples to apples, not oranges to apples.

Our main concern relative to bench marks was how AMD was going to perform in flight simulator 2020, and of course their driver support, and not in racing cars, or one person shooting games.

I have been simming for many years, like many of us here yes AMD gave us some fantastic presentations, to hype us all, and how they were going to crush Nividia, remember this was basically at 1080, and once again this is a simming forum, and that's what concerns me most.

Thus, I am satisfied with my 3080,  while other scramble in 2020,,  and. benchmarks still show no conclusive reason to switch over to AMD,  it's close, but I don t see 20% increase in performance in specifically flight simulator, and all this high technology, otherwise.  

The bottom line is, how AMD performs in simming, and support for their drivers, so we can all have an enjoyable experience!!!

I agree for the most part. The problem with Nvidia cards is the VRAM. If I'm going to spend 700 dollars on a GPU, I expect to use it 3-5 years. At the rate things are changing, 10 GB doesn't cut it, so I'm now eyeing what the 3070 TI will look like.

Edited by canadiantree