Sign in to follow this  
rjsagel

Memory Available - I made a mistake

Hello,Probably not the right place for this but -I was expanding my memory for FSX and made a mistake. I had 1 gig of Corsair ram and thought I could expand my ASUS - A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard to 3 gigs by adding 2 1 gig simms - turns out my board does not like the mix of the 512 & 1024 memory. I wound up adding 2 more Corsair 512 simms and I'm now fine but stuck with the unused 1 gig's.They are VS1GB400C3 184 pin DDR-DIMM's. I have 2 and will part with them for $200. If anyone needs to expand - let me know.Thanks in advance and cheers,Ron Sagel

Guest Purg

>Hello,>>Probably not the right place for this but ->>I was expanding my memory for FSX and made a mistake. I had 1>gig of Corsair ram and thought I could expand my ASUS ->A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard to 3 gigs by adding 2 1 gig simms ->turns out my board does not like the mix of the 512 & 1024>memory. I wound up adding 2 more Corsair 512 simms and I'm now>fine but stuck with the unused 1 gig's.How did you install them? I'm a big fan of smallest memory in the 1st bank, it's likely a throwback from the 80's but it's still the way I choose to populate memory slots.I have the Premium board and couldn't imagine that the memory interface being all that different. Up until I couple of hours ago I had 2 x 1GB and 2 x 512MB DIMMS. It would appear that the 2 x 512 was slowing down the bus and I'm probably benefitting more having faster mem access with 1GB less mem.Does the motherboard manual specifically state that the memory config is unsupported? Would be very unusual if it did.For the record, going from 3GB to 2GB made absolutely no difference in memory useage wrt FSX (and didn't have to re-register) still had around 700MB free while FSX was running. I'm hopefully getting an 8800 tommorrow and I'm just going to leave the 1GB out.

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

What are the Corsair 512 simms you have? It wouldn't be XMS based would it? I have two of those sitting here doing nothing. TwinX-3200XL 512x2 (ran for a year or so on here at 2-2-2-5-1T). I gave them up and bought 2gigs of Corsair VS ram because I couldn't find another matched pair of the 512 simms to pop in.I miss my high end TwinX ram really, but all in all, having 2 gigs of cheaper ram seems to be better than 1 gig of expensive ram :) So least I have that :) Actually I don't really miss them, anytime I want, I can open my drawer and say Hi.I got the same mainboard btw, great board. What processor?

Hello,Amd 64 3500+ processor with 2 Nvidia 6800's in sli mode.If I find out that the "mixed memory" thing is really no problem I will probably try to install it again.I am not real good at this but I will reset the CMOS and try it again. I have a feeling that it may work (3 gigs total) after the reset. I may not have done this the first time and that may be why the "mixed" memory did not work.Cheers,Ron Sagel

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

It was suggested to put in the lower capacity memory in the second banks, the higher (newer) ones in the first banks.The suggestion to put the lower in the first is pretty good, but in the A8N SLi board, it gives fairly bad results if the lower capacity ram can run faster by default.... I think it's a bug on the board.Put the 1024meg simms in the Blue slots, and the 512's into the black slots. It will automatically downclock the faster 512's to match the 1024's. Note that the two pairs of slots have one blue, one black... so don't stick both 512's side by side in there.... make sure that the 512's go in the black ones only.

Hello and thanks for the info.If you know - is there anything I should record before I reset the CMOS? I have never touched it. I'll give the "3 gig" setup a try.Thanks ,Ron Sagel

Hi Ron,One thing perhaps you should consider before upgrading:On some boards (perhaps all?) fitting an extra gig on top of 2 gigs will stop the first 2 banks working in dual channel (faster) memory mode. I discovered this recently (read my board's user manual) when there was all this talk about upping the Ram to 3 gigs. I decided against taking that route as 2 GBs seems just fine and I would hate to loose the speed hike.Mike

Any chance you'd be willing to part with those TwinX-3200XL? I only have 1G of the 3200XL also running at 2225-1T and stable in an Asus a8v. I don't want to go to 3 gig for the same reasons, so I either completely replace this with 2 Gigs of a little slower corsair (like you already did) or find an exact matching pair. I know they're used but if you're interested name your price and let me know.Thanks!Gino

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

I have someone else who was interested first, as soon as they decide I'll let you know :)Kev

Guest Purg

>Hello and thanks for the info.>>>If you know - is there anything I should record before I reset>the CMOS? I have never touched it. I'll give the "3 gig" setup>a try.Having the latest firmware is always a good idea if you're having problems with installing hardware.After flying some more since my original message, I stand by my original comments. I run memturbo and still have ~800MB physical RAM free while in the air. Going from 3 back to 2 has not degraded performance one single bit.