Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

If you are thinking about head tracking look no further

If you get the type of CAP with the flat straight out peak then the TrackIR gets much better range......

(and matt black is better)

df62af0ee6f0212b9dae8d4ac879feab.png

I also cut the top off to make it more like a sun visor.....

Also,   if you want a better reflection from the reflectors on the hat clip then cut out some new reflectors from the silver part of a  HiVis vest....   you can even make them a bit oversize...  and stick these over the existing.

021fcb2fe2ad5e7bb0f97e54e56c5f1e.png

52b04c9757cd3634cbb8d554ecb4785a.png

Edited by aerostar

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

33 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

Is it working on P3D4 as well ?

I think so. But not sure. Works with XP11,as well. I think this is independant from the platform unless the platform lets.

Edited by kt069

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

9 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

This is the one i may get next year i have a track cap but with this you do not wear anything and your eyes only need to move and not your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPPjLPF8Y1s

Well yes, but it’s a totally unnatural model of controlling the view that in my experience isn’t much use for a flight sim. Perhaps it’s come on a bit since v1, but there were also many practical limitations such as limited screen size and viewing distance, unsuitability for multi-screen displays, interference by spectacles and probably more I have forgotten.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I have to say the Grass Monkey solution is looking quite interesting and attractive given its much more affordable price. I have tried the almost free FaceTrackNoIR with my webcam (and a good webcam at that, the Logitech C920) in my truck sims and while it is serviceable, it can oftentimes be a bit inaccurate and jittery, needing to be re-centered quite frequently. It also doesn't help that I wear a glasses so whenever I push up my glasses, the tracking would go crazy for a bit, sometimes even losing the tracking, due to my hand blocking my face from the webcam.

I checked out their tutorial videos and Roger seems like a nice and humble guy. Might consider buying one to give it a try. @Richdem thanks for bringing up this solution! 🙂

• Like 1

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

21 minutes ago, Honnli said:

I have to say the Grass Monkey solution is looking quite interesting and attractive given its much more affordable price. I have tried the almost free FaceTrackNoIR with my webcam (and a good webcam at that, the Logitech C920) in my truck sims and while it is serviceable, it can oftentimes be a bit inaccurate and jittery, needing to be re-centered quite frequently. It also doesn't help that I wear a glasses so whenever I push up my glasses, the tracking would go crazy for a bit, sometimes even losing the tracking, due to my hand blocking my face from the webcam.

I checked out their tutorial videos and Roger seems like a nice and humble guy. Might consider buying one to give it a try. @Richdem thanks for bringing up this solution! 🙂

You're welcome,

I am very pleased with mine. I nearly dropped just over CDN $300 on a TrackIR 5 but decided to do some research and I am glad I did. I believe Roger is a "One Man Show" and is extremely helpful. I was concerned whether this would work as I am sitting 2 - 3 feet away from my 42" TV and the camera would be quite high but Roger told me exactly what to do. As I said in a previous posts I tried all the free head tracking options, some were better than others but a proper IR tracker is in a different league.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

4 hours ago, MarkDH said:

Well yes, but it’s a totally unnatural model of controlling the view that in my experience isn’t much use for a flight sim. Perhaps it’s come on a bit since v1, but there were also many practical limitations such as limited screen size and viewing distance, unsuitability for multi-screen displays, interference by spectacles and probably more I have forgotten.

The 5 version has been improved one of the MSFS YouTube channels uses it in his sims and spectacles do not affect it.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Mine arrives Monday.  We'll see what happens.  Don't know what happened to my TrackIR.  Probably trashed it after I got my Oculus Rift.  Couldn't bring myself to bring out that beast again.  The immersion is game changing, but after awhile it just gets really hot and sweaty under the hood.  We'll see what this does.  And if it's a bust.  Hey, I put a couple bucks in the pocket of a guy trying to make a living.  No big loss.  A couple of Dinners that I won't eat out at next month.  

• Like 2

As a longtime TrackIR user, I have to say, I don’t know what the point of flight simming would be without head tracking software. It’s phenomenal. 

On 11/18/2020 at 4:22 PM, Richdem said:

. . . This stuff is really well built unlike the flimsy products you get with TrackIR. . .

I've been trying to break my TrackIR stuff for about three years now and haven't succeeded yet. Might look flimsy but it ain't.

• Like 2

As a TIR 5 user I've had to buy the TIR Pro Clip because of IR reflecting off my eyeglasses.  But the only time that was a problem was in combat flight sims where you are constantly looking all over the place.  That been said, IMO TIR 5 is the gold standard of head tracking with its super accurate true 6 DOF movement tracking and very smooth and pin-point timing response.

Been using TIR since 2006.  One side effect of its repeated use is you find yourself frustrated when trying to change the VC viewpoint while watching videos recorded in a flight sim VC...that's no joke!

• Like 2

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

3 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

As a TIR 5 user I've had to buy the TIR Pro Clip because of IR reflecting off my eyeglasses.  But the only time that was a problem was in combat flight sims where you are constantly looking all over the place.  That been said, IMO TIR 5 is the gold standard of head tracking with its super accurate true 6 DOF movement tracking and very smooth and pin-point timing response.

Been using TIR since 2006.  One side effect of its repeated use is you find yourself frustrated when trying to change the VC viewpoint while watching videos recorded in a flight sim VC...that's no joke!

Agree, tried them all, you cant beat Track IR. 

3 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I've been trying to break my TrackIR stuff for about three years now and haven't succeeded yet. Might look flimsy but it ain't.

I  heard they were inherently flimsy,

I am glad that isn't the case with yours

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Mine just arrived, and so far I'm really happy. 

The devices are well made.  I have the puck version.  It has a screw on battery compartment.  Whereas the Odyssey is rectangular and has a snap on battery compartment.

The Puck certainly show's it's "snuff" roots as it is almost exactly the size of a tobacco can, so it's kind of funny to see it in it's 3d printed form.  

The camera works well. and the included instructions are fairly helpful.

There is just one small nitpick.  MSFS detects it as a TrackIR but you have no default bindings.   I tried looking on the internet and almost gave up when I realized that the "opentrack" software allows for it's own bindings.  So I simply bind two buttons to my joystick.  One to recenter view, and another to toggle between tracking and staying static.

It's actually made flying easier because now I can just lean forward and focus on the instrument I want to adjust, click the toggle button, make the adjustment with the mouse, then toggle again, and it re-syncs to my head.

Very pleased thus far.  I find the MSFS profile they have available on the website too sensitive and the default profile not sensitive enough.  My suggestion is to decrease the Yaw Pitch and Roll mappings by half of their "default" value.  That will make the sensitive curve have about twice the slope and provides a pretty good starting point to fiddle.

Over all, well worth the bread.

• Like 1

@wthomas33065

Awesome! I was waiting for your impression and thoughts on it before making my decision. 😆 Looks like it really is well built, well performing and well worth the inexpensive price tag then. Might just have to go ahead and order myself one. Though with the overseas shipping, soon-arriving festive season, and the pandemic triple whammy, I probably won't get it until late next month or even January! Bummer.

How are you finding the included head band btw? Is it adequate and comfortable enough when worn for longer periods of time?

P.S. I didn't know what a snuff can was until you mentioned tobacco can! Didn't google it and just thought it was just some kind of can 😂

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD