Sign in to follow this  
Anthony Salvino

3 monitors or one?

Hi all, was just curious on your opinions, I've been using 3 monitors for some time now, 1080's, not 4K, and although I'm somewhat content with them, I was wondering if one large monitor, say a large bowed one, would provide better image quality, and also the ability to have my graphic settings higher since I would only have the one monitor, what do you think?

When I fly in remote areas like Alaska, I can the settings just about maxed out due to no land objects, but in populated areas I have to turn settings down. Thanks.

Go get a 4K 55inch  TV, that is what I did 3 years ago. Can't be more happy. 

It will give you a lot of viewing choices and if you pick a good one it will give you superb a 4K scalable view. You can sit as close as your arm length.

You can then also add other addon windows like maps etc. 

Edited by rksoftware

I had a 3x24 Dell setup for about 10 years and recently found the courage to go with the 49 inch WS Samsung. Two months later I'm thrilled with the outcome and never think of those dreaded bezels again. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/18/2020 at 12:27 PM, Anthony Biaggio said:

Hi all, was just curious on your opinions, I've been using 3 monitors for some time now, 1080's, not 4K, and although I'm somewhat content with them, I was wondering if one large monitor, say a large bowed one, would provide better image quality, and also the ability to have my graphic settings higher since I would only have the one monitor, what do you think?

When I fly in remote areas like Alaska, I can the settings just about maxed out due to no land objects, but in populated areas I have to turn settings down. Thanks.

You might want to watch this video (and specifically from 13:23):

https://youtu.be/Ok9-70ieRlg?t=803

• Upvote 1

Too much hassle with 3 monitors. I switch to a 49 inch ultra wide and everything is great. All plugin works, better performance and better real estate at the desk. 

System Spec 1: Nvidia RTX 4090,  AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Res 5120x1440, HP Reverb G2
System Spec 2: AMD Radeon RX 7900XT, Intel I-9 9990K, Res 3840x1080, HP Reverb G2

On 12/24/2020 at 7:31 AM, argosafe said:

Went to a large 4k TV.  Best thing I did... and also had more colour and resolution settings 

Really? Hmm, idk, I’ve been thinking about it, I would luv to see a one screen in person, I have 3, 27” screens and I feel like I would really miss that peripheral views i’m so used to.  However you did convince me to consider it more i’ll look into it thanks much.  

On 11/20/2020 at 11:15 AM, Les Parson said:

I had a 3x24 Dell setup for about 10 years and recently found the courage to go with the 49 inch WS Samsung. Two months later I'm thrilled with the outcome and never think of those dreaded bezels again. 

dreaded bezels? So it was like low res on the two side monitors? 

5 hours ago, Anthony Biaggio said:

dreaded bezels? So it was like low res on the two side monitors? 

No resolution issues, just the hard to ignore division in the middle of the cockpit sometimes cutting instruments in half. 

Try with VR. You probably won't want to go back to 2D.

Edited by Bulva
  • Upvote 2

Went from 3 1080s to 1 3440 2 years ago and was very happy...but now gone VR and MUCH happier still 🙂

• Like 2

It depends on how you set up your 3 monitor. It is very important to calculate accurately the angle of each view and it's coverage, taking your sitting position into account. I suspect many people don't do that calculation right: there is no way a single monitor would be better for peripheral vision.

Now there is the performance/graphic quality issue. That's a thing to consider. Do you take screenshots during your flights? Do you like to have the perception of space around you? Many personal factors might impact your choice.
Did you try reducing resolution on the left and right screens?
Also, for the price of a big monitor, you could also boost the performances of your computer.

Pascal