Sign in to follow this  
kingconan

CPU or GPU Upgrade?

Hi all, 

I've been out of the flight simming loop for a little while but I've now got a bit more time to spend on our hobby. 

I've installed P3D 4.5 and my FPS aren't great, especially at some add on airports. It's been a while since I've upgraded my PC so would you recommend that I upgrade my CPU or GPU first? 

Currently installed:

CPU: i7 6700k

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB

16GB DDR4 RAM

500GB SSD for p3d. 

I've got a socket 1151 mobo so would be limited to that. My top budget is around £300-£400. I play in 1920x1080 and my monitor refresh rate is 60.

Thanks all, really appreciate your help with this one. 

With flight sims it's always the CPU that gives performance. The GPU allows you to display more 'eye candy'.

You'll need to find a 1151 socket CPU that is compatible with your mobo chipset and have a PSU that can cope with Intel CPU's very demanding power draw (well in excess of stated TDP).

Without knowing which mobo you are using, it's hard to recommend anything other than a generic '6 or more cores is better than 4' and an 'overclock capability' is very useful - therefore a -K model CPU is a better choice.

Before you start your on your path to purchase, you could show us screenshots of your P3D settings pages, just in case you have some settings that can be identified as dragging your performance down. Also share with us if you have made any tweaks to the P3D.cfg file, are using an affinity mask, have limited your FPS internally using the P3D slider or externally using a program like RTSS, and what your monitor refresh rate is.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Yes, you should post your P3D settings and also check the GPU load during the scenarios where your FPS is affected. I bet it's the CPU that needs to be upgraded, but changing the settings can make a big difference.

Hey guys, 

Thanks for the help so far, I should be able to get some screenshots tomorrow after work. 

The mobo is an Asus maximum VIII which limits me to a socket 1151 so I'd probably be looking at a i9 9900k if it's the CPU to be upgraded. 

Be aware that motherboard you are using 1151 Z390 being the last of that line.

That`s why i went Z490 MB and CPU and new case better airflow cheaper than a 3090 this year, then next year GPU when the market settles down and you buy at the correct price and have more options 

PS the 1151 socket goes back years but early versions will not support the 9900k, go to ASUS website and check your MB with what CPU`S it support`s, you may also need a BIOS update.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I recently upgraded from i7-7700 to i7-10700 (replaced the motherboard of course) and difference is huge! Terrain is loading without problems and performance in complex airliners is perfect (35-70 FPS) with no stutters. CPU ugrade was the thing that made the biggest performance improvement (I upgraded from 1060 3GB to RTX 2070 Super a year ago and there was almost no performance difference (at 1080p) but it allowed more eye candy stuff). I upgraded to 4k few days ago (I was worried about 4k performance with 2070 Super) and everything is running perfectly fine with high settings.

Edited by Branimir

I7-10700 (4.8 GHz with HT enabled)

2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz 

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC Gaming

2 hours ago, kingconan said:

The mobo is an Asus maximum VIII which limits me to a socket 1151 so I'd probably be looking at a i9 9900k if it's the CPU to be upgraded.

As mentioned earlier, the chipset of your mobo (as well as the socket) is also a limiting factor to which CPU you can upgrade to, while retaining your current board.
@G-RFRY has also correctly highlighted that an i9-9900K isn't compatible.

I like the website pcpartpicker.com/uk. It helps show which components are very likely to work with each other, while allowing filtering for specific features. It suggests that the highest CPU you can choose that works with your Maximus board is an i7-7700K - not worth the hassle for such a limited improvement.

You could take look at a motherboard change and an i7-9700K, which has double the number of cores, has 50% more cache and can also overclock a lot higher on all cores than the 6700K can manage boosting on only one core.
With a new board and the 9700K, you can come in under your max budget. You'll need to find a board that can work with your RAM, all the other parts you already have and meets your remaining requirements. That's why I like that website, especially as you can ask on the forums there any technical questions from people who love to build their own PCs.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

3 hours ago, kingconan said:

Hey guys, 

Thanks for the help so far, I should be able to get some screenshots tomorrow after work. 

I don't think you can run a 9900K on an Asus Maximus VIII -- that's a Z170 chipset board, and yes the socket is 1151 but it's not 1151 Series 300.  I don't think a BIOS flash would do it, either.

Pretty sure the only upgrade you could do would be to the later Kaby Lake cpu's (7700K, for example) with that chipset.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Oops, I pretty much repeated what you guys already said.  That probably means its been a looooong day for me, the brain is done.

I will say, if it were me, I would not upgrade to a 7700K, as that would not be enough of a jump in performance for me, even if it did mean I could keep using my existing motherboard.  I do think you should at least investigate the 9700K or the i7-10700 as were mentioned, which would set you up for a while to come.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

5 hours ago, kingconan said:

Currently installed:

CPU: i7 6700k

You do not say if you are overclocking the CPU.. but that would be my first move.

Second would be to look carefully at your P3D settings.. there may be some gains there..

Lastly, recognize that some addon airports are fps killers, so your expectations may also need to be tempered a bit.. 😉

ps... P3D V5 actually performs better than V4.. you do not say why you installed V4..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

kingconan,

Depending on finances, I would be looking at a GPU first.  I say this because it would appear that your CPU alone updates are fairly restricted. By that I mean, that you would be looking at a Motherboard update at the same time.  

A GPU update will give you a little more headroom potential whilst looking at finances to upgrade your CPU/Motherboard update. From that point of view it may well be a slightly more practical way to go,

I have no idea what your RAM is but that may be another avenue to explore.

Some very sound advice being given here, but I think you are very much limiting your future proofing by updating your CPU without a motherboard update at the same time. 

If finances are not limited, then I would very much look at a Motherboard/CPU/RAM update first.  Your GPU, whilst not the greatest option, will at least handle P3D, XPlane and MSFS, with the new MB/CPU/RAM combination, but, it will be the limiting factor and settings will definitely have to be played with.

Whichever way you go, you are looking at temporary compromises. However, I will say that keeping your current motherboard is probably going to limit your long term update prospects considerably, and in my opinion, is your least desirable option.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.