Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

ESC key not working to end flight

I've googled and I've searched here. Any ideas? I get to the end of the flight, hit ESC, and... nothing. Just stays in the flight.

Strange, it works for me, you're sure your keyboard is ok?

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Just now, Ixoye said:

Strange, it works for me, you're sure your keyboard is not faulty?

I haven't flown since the update. I suppose it's possible, but I'm typing on it right now. Don't quite know how to test the ESC key, as I don't use it for anything else.

Have you checked "focus".  I often switch focus on the sim using the windows key an bring up a third party tool (like the new electronic flight kit.) or a browser to look something up, and then minimize the app I'm using, but focus doesn't shift back (indicated by my "menu bar" still visible at the bottom of the screen).  I have to click back on the sim to resume focus.

Perhaps the issue is that the "sim" isn't in focus, and thus the keystroke isn't be registered on the sim.   Just a thought.

1 hour ago, wthomas33065 said:

Have you checked "focus".  I often switch focus on the sim using the windows key an bring up a third party tool (like the new electronic flight kit.) or a browser to look something up, and then minimize the app I'm using, but focus doesn't shift back (indicated by my "menu bar" still visible at the bottom of the screen).  I have to click back on the sim to resume focus.

Perhaps the issue is that the "sim" isn't in focus, and thus the keystroke isn't be registered on the sim.   Just a thought.

I don’t think that’s the problem, I’m running it in full screen. 

4 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

I don’t think that’s the problem, I’m running it in full screen. 

Ok.  but if I'm not mistaken, even "full screen" for MSFS 2020 is actually borderless windowed, but I could be wrong.  Just offering a suggestion.  I just know when keystrokes are not going through for me, I always look down at the bottom of the screen and see if my taskbar is there.  If it is, I'm out of focus and need to get in focus.

Not surprising.  The last update did some very wired things to the key assignments.  Mine have been screwed right up and I can't fix them.  

I raised it with zendesk and they said it'd be fixed in an upcoming patch.  They didn't say which patch and I'm hoping it's the next one.  

3 hours ago, wthomas33065 said:

Ok.  but if I'm not mistaken, even "full screen" for MSFS 2020 is actually borderless windowed, but I could be wrong.  Just offering a suggestion.  I just know when keystrokes are not going through for me, I always look down at the bottom of the screen and see if my taskbar is there.  If it is, I'm out of focus and need to get in focus.

I'm trying to picture what you mean, sorry if I sounded dismissive. I don't have a taskbar when I'm running MSFS. I'm running it the way I always have, it's just that now this key isn't working.

3 hours ago, badger2000 said:

Not surprising.  The last update did some very wired things to the key assignments.  Mine have been screwed right up and I can't fix them.  

I raised it with zendesk and they said it'd be fixed in an upcoming patch.  They didn't say which patch and I'm hoping it's the next one.  

In looking back both here and at other forums, it seems like this issue has cropped up now and again. It's kind of a pain because when you get to the end of the flight you just have to Ctrl+Alt+Del and shut the sim down. I haven't checked yet if it records the flight in the logbook, which, in fact, it wasn't doing anyway since the last update.

This has happened to me several (perhaps half a dozen) times, and not just since the last update. I haven't been able to find why it is happening, and the only way out appears to be Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Mine does all sorts of weird things.  If I press CTRL+SPCAE to reset the view on an external view it works fine but if I do it in the cockpit, it goes to 'Landing View' even though it's the same command set up in the settings.  If I move the view around externally, it snaps back to reset view, if I do it internally, it's fine.  The L key toggles the lights but ignores the Landing Lights and the default view keyboard commands don't work so I've had to change them,  All since the last patch.

I had this ESC issue about the time MSFS first came out. I had fooled around with the keyboard assignments and messed something up. I had to go to Controllers, select the Keyboard and select the Default to start over. If you have made some binding assignments on the keyboard then suggest you save those before going to Default. Default put that ESC key back in the right spot.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.

1 hour ago, w9nwrwi said:

I had this ESC issue about the time MSFS first came out. I had fooled around with the keyboard assignments and messed something up. I had to go to Controllers, select the Keyboard and select the Default to start over. If you have made some binding assignments on the keyboard then suggest you save those before going to Default. Default put that ESC key back in the right spot.

I’ll give it a go, but as far as I can remember I haven’t touched the keyboard controls.