Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

Captain Sim Sale Now

Ends November 22, 1800 Zulu. For P3D products only. Not a 50% off everything, in fact, just the Android CDU is half off. The stuff I wanted was to be about five bucks off is all, which saved me the price of a drive-thru at Culvers with missus because I had been intending to pick up the L1011 Freighter, the 757 III Rolls Royce Expansion and the -300 Expansion. The 757 III and 767ER base packs are reduced more, the latter now down below the psychological $100 barrier at forty bucks off. CS pricing is an old argument, but they really are a "two guys and a truck" operation and fill a niche (although I would like to see them concentrate on their classics).

I haven't gotten into the 757 III yet, because I have been flying the L1011-100 exclusively since I returned to flight simulation about a month ago. Now. it is "just" a port, and I'm not going to say it's flawless, but it does have some new P3D features and was decent enough in FSX. I'm enjoying the heck out of it and Paul's gauge helps me fly by the numbers. There are so few classic jetliners available for P3D. The L1011 gives you Lockheed's concept of automated flight, which was amazing for its day and takes some time to wrap your head around, but works well, right down to the autolanding. It's an airplane that keeps you busy. It has a simplified Carousel INS system which gives you the option of punching in your waypoints manually at set-up and as you exhaust your nine slots, or a cheat to download a flight plan and forget about it once it's set up. Definitely not the level of realism the CIVA, but good enough to give you the flavor of that system. Paul's V-One Gauge works fine in it, and TSS has a great (dramatic) RB211 sound set. Plenty of liveries for the old girl. 

Personally, I would like to have seen the L1011 dropped from $49.99 to half price, because I don't think five bucks is going to tempt anyone who hasn't pulled the trigger already. 

Anyway, there you go. Maybe there will be a bigger Christmas sale. https://www.captainsim.com/store/

I may have taken a snap at the 767 but not for $5 off. That is barely a sale.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Thanks, I grabbed the Android CDU.  I previously had the 777 one.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

31 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

I may have taken a snap at the 767 but not for $5 off. That is barely a sale.

While I agree this a rather disappointing sale, to get the facts straight, their 767 is $40 off, not 5.

2 minutes ago, Rafal said:

While I agree this a rather disappointing sale, to get the facts straight, their 767 is $40 off, not 5.

That is technically correct, but I was not aware they have ever charged the actual full price. However, point taken.

Cheers, Pete

• Upvote 1

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

It's an old trick: to double the price to give a 50% sale 🤑  :gaul:

The regular price for the 727 at SimMarket is € 34.79 since months / years:
https://secure.simmarket.com/captain-sim-727-100-captain-base-pack.phtml

And now CS try to tell us that the regular price would be € 67.99 and you can get the 727
on sale for € 34.99.

So think twice if you want to buy from these guys!

Edited by PhotoReal Earth
Edit: Link to SimMarket

Have they ever charged the “full price” for the 767?  What was the price yesterday?  If it was $5 more than today, then it is totally fair to say it’s only $5 off.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

IMHO, this is a pretty crappy sale.  It's a pass for me, but thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

5 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Have they ever charged the “full price” for the 767?  What was the price yesterday?  If it was $5 more than today, then it is totally fair to say it’s only $5 off.

The 767 was $99.76, exactly $5 more than what they charge today.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Zicheng Cai

1 hour ago, Rafal said:

Except they have been charging $100 for their 767 this entire time, so $95 is really only a $5 discount. I don't think they've charged the listed full price at any point. Captain Sim almost always has their products listed below the full price to make it look like everything is always on sale and a good deal. Pretty scummy tactic if you ask me.

• Like 1

Samuel Scully

Hmm... suppose you're right about that they have not charged list price for the 757 / 767 base pack recently; don't know if they ever did. At least now I don't feel bad  for buying before the sale. I did buy some expansions I've been considering and saved enough to feel happy. As for the 727, that's P3Dv3 so I didn't notice it. It's listed as $34.99 with no markdown noted, as with the other on-sale items, so I'm not sure what the point is. When was the 727 for P3D listed for 67.99? If the L-1011 port for v4/5 lists at $49.99 (marked down to $44.99) seems that the list price for the 727 (not available for P3Dv4/5, sadly) is in line for a port, and not an up-to-date one at that.

Anyway, CS pricing policies always generate the same discussion. I thought the 767 was pricey for my own needs, so passed, but to each his own. They are not even taking a second look at MSFS, so I hope they keep updating their line for P3D. If you want an L1011 for v5 or don't want an L1011 for v5, I agree that five bucks is not going to be much of a factor in your buying decision either way.

Edited by Tim_Capps

I thought about the 757 when I saw this sale. Then clicked in and laughed to myself. Who are they kidding. Not on the 70 dollar level they think it is. I wonder if they stepped back from their stubbornness and actually thought about things. How many people will buy the 757 or 767 at this level vs how many sales at the lower price it’s worth?  I have the 767 and like it. But it’s not a pmdg, fslabs, maddog, or majestic level product. Which is probably why I don’t fly it as much as I do those. 

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

3 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I thought about the 757 when I saw this sale. Then clicked in and laughed to myself. Who are they kidding. Not on the 70 dollar level they think it is. I wonder if they stepped back from their stubbornness and actually thought about things. How many people will buy the 757 or 767 at this level vs how many sales at the lower price it’s worth?  I have the 767 and like it. But it’s not a pmdg, fslabs, maddog, or majestic level product. Which is probably why I don’t fly it as much as I do those. 

My thoughts exactly. When I saw the sale I got excited and thought I might finally have a chance to pick up a 757, but found that it is barely on sale. The prices they are asking are at the same level as other developers whose products are way more advanced and polished than Captain Sim's, so why am I going to pay PMDG, FSLabs, etc prices for something that isn't of that caliber. I bought their 767 and it isn't a terrible addon, it just isn't worth the $100 I paid for it and certainly not the $134 they advertise it as (even though they've never actually sold it for $134), especially when you consider that is just for the base package with one variant. If it goes on sale for $50 I'll consider it, but at this point I'm reconsidering if I want to support them at all with the shady marketing tactics they use.

• Like 2

Samuel Scully

Market forces are a beautiful thing. They’ve been around a long time, have a business model they feel works for them and “what a product is worth” is subjective, isn’t it? I’ll admit an “up to 50% off sale” where the cheapest item is the only thing actually half off probably isn’t a great moment in PR, and I’m not defending that. The list of companies in the world I spend money on all of whose whose practices I don’t approve of is very long. In fact, at my age there’s not much I approve of. What I do enjoy is returning to AVSIM after being gone for years and experiencing all the old controversies of my youth. Brings a tear of nostalgia to these rheumy old eyes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1