Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

November 19th 2020 - Development Update

2 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

The Simulation Updates will be major updates to the simulator's core systems every 2-3 months, like the World Updates. They are not the same as the bi-weekly patches which I presume will continue to be released with the same cadence (at least after the holidays and corona wind down). I agree the nomenclature is a bit confusing.

Correct.  Their naming scheme hasn't changed at all - "Sim Updates" are supposed to be large updates to the simulation, and "World Updates" (like next week) are supposed to be large updates to the world.  Expansion Updates were supposed to be in there too, but judging by where helicopters are on their roadmap, I'm thinking perhaps DLC was pushed back so they could focus on working on what's there now.

None of those things has anything to do with smaller patches and updates, which appear to be settling into a two week cadence for now.

1 hour ago, BijanStudio said:

No word on what's actually being updated in USA!!!!!!!!!!!

USA update is 4 new handcrafted airports, new digital elevation terrain model (1m resolution in many cases), new aerial ortho imagery for many areas, 50 new points of interest/landmarks, and a new bush trip.

New airports are: Atlanta International, Friday Harbor, New York Stewart, and Dallas-Fort Worth

This was discussed in last dev Q&A (Oct 28th).

• Like 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

3 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

USA update is 4 new handcrafted airports, new digital elevation terrain model (1m resolution in many cases), new aerial ortho imagery for many areas, 50 new points of interest/landmarks, and a new bush trip.

New airports are: Atlanta International, Friday Harbor, New York Stewart, and Dallas-Fort Worth

This was discussed in last dev Q&A (Oct 28th).

Do we know who is making the new airports, like how Gaya mades some of the new ones in Japan?

Just now, Scottoest said:

Do we know who is making the new airports, like how Gaya mades some of the new ones in Japan?

They did not specify in the Dev Q&A, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere else.

Wow!,

On one hand, very excited.

The other, not sure...to being puzzled.

There are so many other basic things that are/were in FSX( Contrails, Wakes on water, etc)....that are not in FS2020 yet.  

I kinda thought they'd be able to pick up where FSX left off...Maybe I misunderstood that from the first videos we saw saying they "went thru/had access" to the FSX codebase.  I know code isn't "transportable" all the time and need to be re-done...I get it!

Let alone big stuff like:  the sun is still visible in thick, cumulus clouds, true overcast from sun up to sun down.  No thin, wispy, feathery cirrus clouds( cirrus overcast also) and many other basic things that FSX had ( NOT the clouds:-)  ) or we had thru community developers...Yes, I have given feedback to ZenDesk on these I mentioned.

And yes, our big jets, not having them...we know the ones.

Some of the things on the development roadmap...I am puzzled about...YES, there are things listed for sure that we essentially need.

Ok, I may get some blow on this one, but the top thing, "FlyByWire A320".  If we had a completed SDK, one of our 3rd party dev teams could bring us the best a320, a330 and a3(Whatever)..and many other things, including trains.....

That was a goal, BTW, to learn about Airbuses.  So, I'm not bashing that.. but I would have hoped they'd be working on "sim platform" items as priority, over 1 specific plane model...that 3rd parties could build so well.....Get it up to x-plane or p3d levels....That's great for us all...

My thoughts...

Anyway...This is such a great potential platform(our 2020)...I love it and I really want it to become a great fun tool BUT.. a great Learning tool...which I know it could!

Just the priorities to be fixed, seems misguided sometimes...I know it takes time to build great software and I don't mind the wait AT ALL.

But, I hope it's not 2025 before we get basic items we need as flight simmers(Essentials) to really learn close to what the REAL people do everyday...that's what's cool.  This platform is soooo much a step in the right direction....just...arrrggghhh sometimes...the things it seems in the near future...that we are seeing coming..

Sure, after that... we have fun 🙂...buzzing things and "Star Warsing-Trench run" in the Grand Canyon and others:-)....BUT, After learning how to fly, first:-| 🙂

Cheers All and Stay Safe.... USA, Happy Thanksgiving...

RB

• Like 2

4 hours ago, marsman2020 said:

I think I'm just going to go buy a copy of X-Plane at this point, since it's apparently going to be years to get basic things in this sim fixed.

Good on you mate. I think all the other platforms will appreciate your support.  Sorry to hear you are expressing these sentiments, particularly, when I am enjoying it so much as is. I also think that I am far from alone in stating this.

It would be great to hear also, just what you base your statement about taking years to fix basic things in this sim. Have you got access to information that we, as a community, do not have.  If so, could you possibly share this or give us a link to your source?

I ask this because, I believe that MSFS/Asobo have made incredible strides to improve this sim in the 3 month time frame since release, and I have a firm belief that this will continue until the "basics" are perfected.

As a regular user of both Xplane and P3D to this day, I assure you that I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending both platforms as they excel in different ways just as MSFS does.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

25 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

It would be great to hear also, just what you base your statement about taking years to fix basic things in this sim. Have you got access to information that we, as a community, do not have.  If so, could you possibly share this or give us a link to your source

It's literally the update at the top of this post. 

I'm glad they are being more realistic about dates...it's literally a come back at the end of 2021 and it might be what it should have been at launch situation.

Remember the stuff on the Feedback snapshot is just stuff the community has posted about and voted on, it's not everything they're currently working on. Just because seasons isn't on the list that doesn't mean they're not working on it.

5 hours ago, Barnes said:

Noticed that the Development Roadmap says "World Update II: United States", but today's MSFS Team release says "World Update II: North America".

Are Canada and Mexico going to get some love too?

Probably a mistake since the only announced content for it in in the USA.

4 hours ago, DaveS said:

I noticed no plans to open up the weather to 3rd parties. I hope they have big plans for this then. I for one would really hope to have a historical weather option at some point

Yeah. Curious, that. Are they implying they'll improve the weather depiction (and don't need any help)? Or, are they implying this is what it is and too bad, dude? I'm not losing sleep over it, but weather depiction is a big disappointment for me.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

1 hour ago, marsman2020 said:

I'm glad they are being more realistic about dates...it's literally a come back at the end of 2021 and it might be what it should have been at launch situation

Mate, 

Whilst I respect your opinion, I have to admit I have an entirely different perspective on this. I believe "basics" are precisely what they will work on in between updates and, whilst it may take a while, I think we will be flying on a very much better platform as we progress. 

I also think that P3Ds may solve or bypass, a lot of problems that MS/Asobo don't  resolve in the short term.

For me, carrying a glass three quarters full, it is hard to be pessimistic given what we already have and what is coming in the future.

I guess it all boils down to expectations and what we are willing to wait for.  Xplane and P3D are very worthwhile alternatives, but they still cannot compete in the default department, and I mean 1. Aircraft, 2. ATC (as bad as it is) and 3. Scenery.  After years of development most add on scenery can only equal ... not exceed, the standards set by default MSFS.

You may disagree, and that is fair enough, but regarding the other platforms as a step up is only valid in the "addons" department.

Finally, why not just buy the others and revisit MSFS2020 from time to time to assess its progress. Your only additional costs are in buying the other platforms, if in fact, you do not already own and fly them. 

Tony

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Just now, himmelhorse said:

it might be what it should have been at launch situation

Sorry to add this but I meant to address it in the above post.

If you genuinely feel this way, do you accept that P3Dv5.1 with hotfixes etc is where it should have been at launch too?

The same applies to XPlane11 and all the other platforms in use. If in fact you don't, and I would be very surprised if you do, on the basis that you have been around for at least a little while, why would you single out MSFS for this kind of statement. 

None of these sims have been perfect out of the box and remain to this day, "imperfect" MSFS is no different and in my opinion MSFS2030 will be exactly the same (ie there is always room for improvement)  

In the meantime, if you are serious, enjoy XPlane 11 and P3D. I did and still do.

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

6 hours ago, scotchegg said:

You keep saying this and I know I for one have agreed with you and encouraged you to. You’ve seen 3 months of post-launch development and pretty clear signposts from the devs about what to expect at what timeline, and every time there’s any development you get quite worked up with how unacceptable it is for you.

I make no comment about whether your complaints are justified or not, but as you keep repeating complaints and that the answer is to buy XPlane, I’m curious as to why you just don’t actually do it? You clearly think it’s the better option for you and I think you might be right:)

I suspect it's because they revel in their unhappiness. And the attention it brings.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DaveS said:

I noticed no plans to open up the weather to 3rd parties. 

Interesting indeed, and quite surprising to me.

5 hours ago, DaveS said:

I hope they have big plans for this then. I for one would really hope to have a historical weather option at some point

They must be quite confident regarding their future plans on weather. Unfortunately we don't know much about it yet. I sorely miss historic weather in MSFS.

So let's ask them:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/do-you-plan-to-include-historic-weather/324133

And request historic weather here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/historic-weather-as-second-timeline/213758

• Like 1